TSRM section for heater core?

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
GrimJack;1844175 said:
I'm debating whether to take everything apart and pressure test it to find the leak, or just buy all new components to save possibly having to take the dash out twice.

Considering the age of all of that stuff, if it's financially feasible for you, I'd say replace it all.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The dash really isn't THAT hard to take out. It's getting everything else out of the way that's hard :rofl: For instance, the driver's seat...

Oh, targa helps too just so you have more room.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
OfnaRcR4;1844223 said:
Isn't there a way to test it with the dash out?
Only kind of. I can verify that the leak is under the dash, but there are at least three pieces under there, and it could be any of them... in theory. In reality, if the extension hoses never seem to fail, it's very likely the heater core.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Supracentral;1844237 said:
Considering the age of all of that stuff, if it's financially feasible for you, I'd say replace it all.
Ya, it's only a few hundred $$$, and it's a lot of trouble saved, so that's the route I'll take. Why try to shortcut a car that I'm already so deep into? And worse, this is one of the biggest pain in the ass parts, so I'd rather change it and be done with it for another 25 years.

Poodles;1844239 said:
The dash really isn't THAT hard to take out. It's getting everything else out of the way that's hard :rofl: For instance, the driver's seat...

Oh, targa helps too just so you have more room.
Agreed... although the Recaro seats sure do simplify it a lot, and the targa helps a bunch more...

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
I bought mine from Napa and it is noticeably lower quality when compared to oem, I have it sitting on my desk I can snap some pics if you want. The section of the tube where the extension pipe slides in appears to be oblong, I highly doubt it would seal properly with the stock O rings. I will have the tubes soldered on to be 100% sure I have no leaks there. The fin count and row counts are lower that oem, and overall size is slightly smaller than oem. If you live in a place where heat is a necessity I recommend an OEM core. If you live somewhere like where I do where the lowest temp of the year is in the 30s at night time it shouldn't be a big deal.

Oh ya, and the aftermarket is copper whereas the OEM is brass.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The core on my 5.0 from a decade and half ago leaked. Dash removal was a part of the job, at 9.5 hours R&R. Same thing, coolant in the cabin. Only worse. Some came out the defrost vents. Blah.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Nick M;1844301 said:
The core on my 5.0 from a decade and half ago leaked. Dash removal was a part of the job, at 9.5 hours R&R. Same thing, coolant in the cabin. Only worse. Some came out the defrost vents. Blah.

Back in the late 80's, I had a core in a heavily modified 5.0 fox body Mustang burst during a full throttle run while I was in the passenger seat...

2nd degree burns from the knees down. The passenger gets the worst of it in those cars.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Nick M;1844301 said:

Back in the late 80's, I had a core in a heavily modified 5.0 fox body Mustang burst during a full throttle run while I was in the passenger seat...

2nd degree burns from the knees down. The passenger gets the worst of it in those cars.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
GrimJack;1844254 said:
By the way, anyone have any experience with aftermarket heater cores? They are nearly $300 from Toyota USA, Rock Auto carries them for $50 - $110, depending on brand.

I bought one from Rock Auto about a year and a half ago. It was of Mexican origin and looked just fine to me. My original core was wrapping in sticky-backed foam, which was missing on the new one.

It took me some effort to find foam to stuff around it that would take the temperature of hot coolant (found some polyethylene foam at H.Depot). I bought new extension pipes, o-rings, and clips from Toyota, however. The ends of the pipes where they poke into the engine bay get some abuse over the years, so are worth replacing. I also wrapped the o-ring joints with self-sealing tape as cheap insurance against leaks.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Nick M;1844301 said:
Ugh... I remember when driving to AZ, I discovered that the hose into the engine bay from the driver side hasn't been pushed on far enough. Car slowly leaked hot coolant into the cabin drip by awful drip. This was in late April, where temps are already getting into the 90's in that part of the country. The cabin temperatures were reading above 50° C, which works out to around "holy shit it's hot in here" when converted to Fahrenheit...

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Random question.. would a blocked heater core cause low airflow out of the vents like on other cars? I'm getting an infant exhale amount out the vents.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
OfnaRcR4;1844406 said:
Random question.. would a blocked heater core cause low airflow out of the vents like on other cars? I'm getting an infant exhale amount out the vents.
No, that is more than likely the blower resistor. Lucky for you, it's cheap and easy to replace.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Asterix;1844369 said:
I bought one from Rock Auto about a year and a half ago. It was of Mexican origin and looked just fine to me. My original core was wrapping in sticky-backed foam, which was missing on the new one.

It took me some effort to find foam to stuff around it that would take the temperature of hot coolant (found some polyethylene foam at H.Depot). I bought new extension pipes, o-rings, and clips from Toyota, however. The ends of the pipes where they poke into the engine bay get some abuse over the years, so are worth replacing. I also wrapped the o-ring joints with self-sealing tape as cheap insurance against leaks.
Self adhesive House Door weatherstrips work well, Home Dept or it's like has it by the roll.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
GrimJack;1844469 said:
No, that is more than likely the blower resistor. Lucky for you, it's cheap and easy to replace.

I wish it was that. I under exaggerated the amount of air it puts out, it's just so little compared to my 91. I think i can now blame it on the noisy auto zone blower motor i replaced the worn out stocker with. I'll have to swap them out and see i suppose.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
OfnaRcR4;1844547 said:
I wish it was that. I under exaggerated the amount of air it puts out, it's just so little compared to my 91. I think i can now blame it on the noisy auto zone blower motor i replaced the worn out stocker with. I'll have to swap them out and see i suppose.

Resistor, blower, or very common if the dash has been messed with, missing sealing foam for the ducting.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
OfnaRcR4;1844406 said:
There is a button that says "HI" on your climate control. Push that one. ;)

Sorry, I had to dude... :p

suprasick

Hey look...a Supra!
Mar 17, 2006
Milton, Washington
OfnaRcR4;1844547 said:

It took me 5 blower motors from schucks/orielys to finally get one that doesn't sound like small jet engine! Good luck !