Try to start up and everything shuts off, electrical

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Yup.
After seeing that vid, i stick with my above suggestions.

You either have bad contact on one of the terminals to the battery, or one of
The cables to the block/starter, or bad cables altogether.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I'll just stop by an auto parts store tonight and get new cables and try not to freeze my ass off while changing them. I know there will be lots of pain while doing it, working on cars or old cars in the cold sucks lol. I find it strange that it decided to stop working after I changed my housing I was literally working on the other side of the motor lol.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
It gets cold in TX, though I see why one would think it stays warmer, being in the southern US.
I think your starting issues are coincidental timing. I have always found that electrical issues are aggravated by
Colder temperatures. I hope you get it fixed. Replacing each cable should be no more than 15 minutes.

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
Hey man Im not far from you and could come lend a hand. Im an electronics major and my mk3 had similar issue. You have bad electrical contact somewhere and that could be in a number places. Im about an hour from you but you obviously need help. If you are interested, let me know.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Wtf my profile says Atlanta? I live in Houston lol. I am going to ask for sunday off to change out the cables or tonight I'll get the cables and work in the dark with my headlamp. Temperatures reached around low 30s the other day or so and are expected to drop back down again this week. It snowed in Dallas which is about a 4hr drive north of me.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
If replacing my cables don't work then we'll go from there, don't want to trouble you with driving all the way out here for battery cables lol. I've replaced my head gasket on my own so something as small as battery terminals is no problem but if it's something big then I'll pm you, thanks for the offer much appreciated it.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
p1902538_1.jpg

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I got new cables but I have a feeling I have to order the positive cable online since it splits up to 3 cables and the one I have is one cable that I assume goes to the starter?

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I removed the terminals just the part that clamps onto the post and cleaned them up really well and the car now cranks but doesn't fire up I must have accidentally moved the CPS a little bit when I put it back in, so right now I am going to take it out and try turning counter clockwise and vice versa to see if my timing is off. I am pretty sure it is that because when I put it in I felt sort of turn to slide in but the bolt position lined up maybe the head turned a tooth or something so it's not properly timed.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Okay, when it shuts everything off, what do you need to do before it lights up the dashboard again. That will be the big clue.

If you need to fiddle with battery terminals under the hood, then battery terminals and cables is where you need to look.

If you need to charge the battery, then you need to look for large shorts.

If just waiting a while will work, then it's something on that circuit breaker. The breaker is thermal, so an overload will trip it, but when it cools, it should reset itself. So once reset, pressing with a toothpick won't do anything, because it's already reset. Try testing it right after a start attempt, and see if pressing the breaker turns the dash lights back on.

Try pulling fuses for accessories, particularly the gauge fuse. If you get better results with one fuse pulled, then that's a place to look. (Don't think that this is the issue for what seems more systemic.)

Try pulling the accessory wires that you attached around the water neck. Again, try them one at a time and see if any one in particular helps.

Edit: Ninja'd

Okay, a timing light will check timing and confirm spark.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I am going to set the motor to TDC then adjust the CPS to TDC and go from there I am pretty sure the timing is off because I am not 100% that when I put the CPS back in that it was in the same position as before.