Try to start up and everything shuts off, electrical

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
All but one, the clutch lol but I will be doing that soon either with stock or stage 1. I want to go with a beefier clutch to make the labor more worth it. It would have taken me much longer to resolve these issues without you guys and as always thank you all.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Well today I took the car to my friend's shop and we set it to TDC, lined up the mark on the crank to 0 and set the CPS accordingly and checked the timing. It's still f'ing off lol, the mark shows about an inch to the left of the block where the numbers are my friend suggested that the CPS could be faulty or have something in it that went bad.

Numba1Stuna

Apr 18, 2012
Nampa, ID
supraguy@aol;1905247 said:
Congrats, Doat.
I guess you've resolved all your current issues, and that's always good to see.

Much agreed, congrats bro. Time for you to record some take down racing videos now for YouTube, haha.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
No racing or hard driving until I get a new clutch lol but right now I need to figure out my timing issue, it was perfect until I changed my thermostat housing and today we set the motor to TDC and the CPS to TDC and I checked it multiple times to make sure the gear didn't move and the mark is off but the motor seems to be running fine until it idles after it is warmed up then it feels a LITTLE bit rough like it will slightly dip in RPMs every other rev or so. Is there a way I can test my CPS to make sure it's faulty or working properly or is there something else I need to look at? I am pretty sure my timing belt and cam gears are not wrong because I only messed with those when I changed my head gasket and at that time I had everything lined up and it was perfectly timed, after that I only touched the CPS and nothing else timing wise.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Bear in mind that when you slide the cps in to engage the gear on the cam, the shaft will rotate as it slides in.
I've always found it best to remove the cps cover so you can watch it as you install it.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I used my friend's timing light. I need to replace my CPS cape because if I remove it I think it will fall apart lol I would like a metal replacement but the one from DM is too expensive for a cap. When I put it in I carefully removed it to make sure the head was still in the correct place and it was also it slides in effortlessly if you have the cps twisted at the right angle. I might go back tomorrow morning and remove the cps then turn it left or right one click and see what happens.

Numba1Stuna

Apr 18, 2012
Nampa, ID
I found a replacement cap that is pure carbon fiber on Ebay if that interests you. I was thinking about getting one once I get it running and into the cosmetic stage. Think it was $75...

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
quick question, when you set the motor to TDC you line up the crank notch to the 0 mark right? then you adjust the timing to 10 degrees from there? Also my motor growls if I get on it after about 3000 RPM it didn't used to growl as loud as it does, I haven't done it ever since I found my clutch was slipping this was happening before that, a friend of mine said the valves could need to be shimmed.