Tremec TR-6060 (T56 Magnum).. Going to try it. Any coments. Interest....

captdale

Aug 29, 2008
hawaii
captdale;1378239 said:
---------------------
TT Twin Turbo. Sorry, I meant to say Tru Track

Early falcon. Okay. got it. Very nice job on that build. I'll bet you never broke that big boy !! Any suggestions which vehicles used the Big IRS ?? To mod the falcon, no wonder the $$$ was up there. I'll be cruising the wrecking yard this weekend for sure. Thank you very much. cd

captdale

Aug 29, 2008
hawaii
IJ.;1378013 said:
TT?

It's a modified JZA70 subframe, The axles are custom with the GM spline one end Toyota the other.

I used an early Falcon diff housing but if I were to do it again I'd find something that's already big and IRS as the custom parts mean the rear end has cost more than most cars here on SM.
----------------
IJ - I'm a little confused but then whats new huh. Anyway, you posted that you used a Strange Nodular Housing but here you post that you used a early Falcon diff housing. Was the Strange a alum copy of the Falcon housing ? Or ?
I want a LSD that I can lean on and not be afraid of breaking it. So far this setup looks like the best. I know a lot of guys are using the Toyota clutch type LSD and also the Torsen LSD. I read that both have drawbacks and don't know what to believe. As far as "custom parts" goes, do you mean the axle? If so how did you fab that or was it custom made and if custom, who made it please. I take it the reason you chose the Falcon diff housing was that the Tru Trac fit into it along with the Richmond gears. The Tru Trac LSD being very much strong enough as are the Richmond gears. I take it that the falcon innerds wouldn't handle much. I take it the axle connect was a problem
as the Falcon had splined axle connects and the Toyota axle was a bolt on ? Am I on the right track ? I am going to try to send you a pm on another question. cd

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Diff housing = steel back casing that bolts into the subframe

diff28.jpg

Nodular Iron housing = Front cast section that holds the gears and differential assembly and bolts into the Falcon housing in the subframe ;)

diff08.jpg

Custom parts

diff27.jpg

diff36.jpg

diff37.jpg

I had a local engineering firm make the parts to my specs as it was more cost effective for me to do it this way then to set up my machines to make them in house.

diff15.jpg

captdale

Aug 29, 2008
hawaii
IJ.;1378398 said:
Diff housing = steel back casing that bolts into the subframe

Nodular Iron housing = Front cast section that holds the gears and differential assembly and bolts into the Falcon housing in the subframe ;)

Custom parts

I had a local engineering firm make the parts to my specs as it was more cost effective for me to do it this way then to set up my machines to make them in house.
-------------------
Very nice - That clears up the issue for me. I think I will take your advice and research a Big IRS unit and not have to do the $$$ custom work that you did. Still have to be inovative but not to the extent you did. I'll bet you never broke it .

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
2JZ_MA70;1375557 said:
The tremecs I havent shopped around but i will probably get it from DDPerformance.
The clutch will be QuarterMaster 7.25" Dual Rally or Iron Triple. Depending on what one holds. Im hoping tremec will release the Ford trans with 6.5" imput shaft later on this year. I might get that one...and use my existing Spec clutch. Love the spec engaugement and it holds nice.
Trowout I dont know for sure but it will probably be Tilton, Mcleaud, or Quarter Master.
Shaft Masters made me teh last drive shaft and I was very pelased with them so i will probabaly get one made there.

i got a tilton om 2 tripple playe used on ebay for ~$130 shipped. and plan to buy new cermatalic discs for it. its in good shape and rated to hold 1050lbs of tq.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
captdale;1378943 said:
-------------------
Very nice - That clears up the issue for me. I think I will take your advice and research a Big IRS unit and not have to do the $$$ custom work that you did. Still have to be inovative but not to the extent you did. I'll bet you never broke it .

didnt the early-mid 200 model mustang cobras have irs rears? i could of sworn my friends 03 svt cobra has irs. he is putting over 600rwhp down and nearly 700 tq to the wheels. never mentioned any probs and he drives the hell out of it.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
williamb82;1379262 said:
didnt the early-mid 200 model mustang cobras have irs rears? i could of sworn my friends 03 svt cobra has irs. he is putting over 600rwhp down and nearly 700 tq to the wheels. never mentioned any probs and he drives the hell out of it.

I was curious about this same thing. I have a friend that builds mustangs for a living and I thought about asking him to help me weld in a mustang rearend. I don't know what gears they come with, but I bet it's lower than a 3.91

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
i think 3.55 gears would be awesome. i got a 3.73 in my mk2 right now. could stand a 3.42 wit hthe way it pulls now. but before i change the gears ill build up an aluminum 8.8 ford irs diff from a sc cougar or tbird and fab it in.

captdale

Aug 29, 2008
hawaii
Well, like I said, we used to this kind of thing all the time back in the day. Olds to a zepher, SB chev to a 40 ford . I even put a BB 400 chev in a 64' CJ5 with the 400 turbo tranny bolted to the spicer transfer case and that was no big deal. Still had 4WD. The rear driveshaft was all of about 9" long. LOL. Worked great. That kind of thing so I'm not daunted by the challenge. I did order a Supra LSD so at least I won't have to put up with the open diff for the time being. There is a listing on e-b&& for a front end and rear IRS LSD clips off a TT that is really a good deal for this exercise. The rear clip has the frame, diff, axles, brakes. Complete. That would be the deal. Put the LSD in your NA and use the rest to fit a good American LSD that is bullet proof. 8", 9", whatever. Even a mod to a explorer front diff would not be that big a deal and cheaper than the IJ mod for sure. I feel the same about the Tremec. I WILL make it work. Its just a tranny for goodness sake. I'm just sick of the outragous prices for anything with a German name and a Supra OEM tag (Getrag/JDL) on it when there is a TON of good American racing product for cheap with unlimited options and track proven. Same goes for the coil-overs. A TON of $$ for a ready to bolt on unit that is not rebuildable for a Supra when you can DIY with custom bilstein and Hypercoils for 1/4 the cost and have it valved for whatever you want. If you don't like the rate on the coils you can change them out for cheap also. Don't like the valving, send it back for a revalve. Anyway, thats what I'm saying so keep up the project and lets see if we can't make it work. I am confident I can and will. Also, I did not ask IJ but suspect that a lot of the high cost of his Diff setup with the older live axle 9" was due to wanting a really stronger unit. Re: custom axles, welded in carriers etc. With some of the IRS or front 4WD IFS's available now it should be way cheaper for a "good for over 700 hp" American diff and tranny. The 6 spd Getrags are going for right at $6K for crying out loud and cost a TON to rebuild if you can even find someone you trust to do that.. cd

2JZ_MA70

Aug 28, 2007
Cleveland
Yeah I know what you are saying... Just hold on on the trans for few more weeks. I want to see when Tremec will be releasing the ford hydro unit... It would make it easyer to fit larger variety of clutches. I need specs on the input shaft but they are not yet released.

captdale

Aug 29, 2008
hawaii
2JZ_MA70;1382915 said:
Yeah I know what you are saying... Just hold on on the trans for few more weeks. I want to see when Tremec will be releasing the ford hydro unit... It would make it easyer to fit larger variety of clutches. I need specs on the input shaft but they are not yet released.
------------------
I hear you. My tranny arrived this evening. WOW. Nice. I talked with Ross today and he verified that the bell housing is still a go and looking at Oct. for delivery. He is still waiting for a cone for some final measurements. Says he really would feel better about it if he thought they would sell. I told him that once it gets out how easy the install will be with the right housing he will not be able to keep them in stock. My feeling is now the NA's will really be a viable alternative to big bucks for a TT. For less than the price of just a 6 spd Getrag, you can get a new T56 Magnum tranny, LSD and driveshaft and none of it will be easy to break. And still have $1000 +/- to spend making your sweetie smile real big or install custom Bilstein shocks/coilovers on all four corners. Now you can run the NA with the big dogs :icon_bigg That was the major reason not to turbo trick a NA as the block with the exception of the piston skirt squirters is exactly the same and the NA cams are better than the TT aftermarkets from the get go. Thats just IMHO. A new Tilton 3disc clutch goes for like $165 if you can stand the on/off. I'm just going to go with a good performance PP/clutch from PHR and use the hydraulic TOB. Now I will have LOTS of options. So - keep me posted on your progress on the mod and I will do the same. cd

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
the flywheel i have for my tilton tripple is from a quad 4 and im having it machined to fit. comes out cheap. the thickness from the mating surface to the crank to the mating surface of the tob is ~2.5in. not deep at all.

captdale

Aug 29, 2008
hawaii
williamb82;1386091 said:
the flywheel i have for my tilton tripple is from a quad 4 and im having it machined to fit. comes out cheap. the thickness from the mating surface to the crank to the mating surface of the tob is ~2.5in. not deep at all.

Isn't the tilton tripple really a straight up racing clutch ? I mean, either on or off and really not good at all for a DD ? I really like the looks of it but mine has to also be a DD. If its on/off I'll go with the PHR performance PP and get a good Chev disc with the 26 spline input. cd

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
captdale;1386241 said:
Isn't the tilton tripple really a straight up racing clutch ? I mean, either on or off and really not good at all for a DD ? I really like the looks of it but mine has to also be a DD. If its on/off I'll go with the PHR performance PP and get a good Chev disc with the 26 spline input. cd

yes it is. but i got it used for cheap for mockup. the tilton cerametalitc twin plate uses the same exact coutch cover so the distance is the same. the ceramatalic twin discs with the ultra high pp is rated to 840lbs tq and is streetable. i know someone running the tilton twin on his 1j mk2. he daily drives it and is over 500rwhp. no issues at all. im either going to go wit hthe cerametalic twn, or get a tripple plate organic disc setup that uses a 4 plate cover. either way i have room for it. ill proly go twin and see if it holds since i plan to occasionally drag race the car. the organic isnt recomended at al for that but can hold up to 1300lbs of tq otherwise.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
99, 01 and 03-04 Cobras all had 8.8 IRS rear ends. You can get any kind of gear imaginable for it, anything from a 2.73 (maybe lower, that's the lowest OEM I know of) up to 5.XX. Many of them dump it for drag racing because they like to spit half shafts at the track. Probably wouldn't be a big deal for Supra guys, most Supras make a lot less torque off the line than a blown V8.

Also, you should be able to get the 5th and 6th ratios you want. All they have to do is swap the gears out, f-body/Cobra guys do it with the T56 all the time when they get them rebuilt.