trash the hood supports

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
Hey now be nice, and besides I'm the one who said the MK3 hood was heavy, yet I can bench 205. Not many times, but I can do it. I would like to see someone bench that AND have the mental capacity to repair a MK3! :kloguck:

Datsrboi

Loud pipes Save Lives
Jul 31, 2007
Haltom Texas
www.cardomain.com
I blew the best 100 dollar for mine. It included the fronts and rear. I am dam happy I spented that money. Saves the trouble of having to find something to hold it up especially in the rain or worst on a windy day.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Kckazdude said:
So much abuse in one thread.

And rightly so ;)

Fwiw Stabilus makes the world's best gas springs. They're what I use on my Delorean where strut application, long life, and stability is critical to safety. I dunno if they have ones to fit this car but I'm willing to bet they do. Might be a bit more pricey though. I believe Pep Boys sells Stabilus.

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
mkIIIman089 said:
...very low on brains, and big on physical labor. Maybe a landscaper or something?

i do landscaping and build rock walls in the summer for 15 bucks an hour at 17 years old. am i low on brains too?:3d_frown:
haha jk, i have nothing in common with someone who compares a Caddy to a Supra and that rests their hood on their wipers/windshield, instead of letting it hold itself up.

Yakuzastinger said:
i just take them off immediatly on all suprs if they work or not i lay the hood back on the windshield SO MUCH ROOM TO DO ANYTHING it rest on a wiper arm and u guys need to get to a gym the hood aint heavy lift the iron monster on my 78 eldy caddy
:withstupi

Last edited:

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
My hood struts never worked I finally just pulled them off(I had to remove the hood and just didnt put them back on). I have no problem using the handle off my floor jack to hold the hood up. The suprastick sits right on some metal piece and locks into place.

I have better things to spend 50 bucks on than worrying about holding my hood up.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
Ive bought a set of Stabilus hood struts on ebaymotors for $28.00 shipped. Its soo much better and the way the hood opens it makes you feel that he hood is going to flip back because they are so fast and strong. I may find the link on ebay if someone is interetsed but I dont know if they still have them for sale at that price.

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
I like looking at my motor. And every time I open my hood, I'm either replacing the old crap with shiny new stuff or upgrading something. That, or getting rid of crap I don't need. Speaking of which, I need to remove the rest of my AC system. The hoses are hanging there. :nono:

BTW, my hood struts work, but I have a SupraStick just to blend in.

Adam

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
the hood isn't heavy....unless the fucker comes down on you and you don't have any leverage to pick it back up...

happened once, then I bought new struts...

back hatch is iffy in the cold weather, but I make do...

too bad the stout hood doesn't have a provision for the hood struts, I really want that hood, but a stick looks ghetto IMHO...

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
jetjock said:
If the car required more I'd crush it and move on...

No you wouldn't. :)

I have made it a habit of checking my overflow EVERYDAY (cold and warm) to make sure nothing is wrong.

Poodles made a good point, they work better in warmer climates (way better). Sub-freezing temps DESTROY them.

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
Mine aren't working properly (when warm, they kinda hold up..on the edge :)), but the problem is, haven't heard of any place here, that would sell them...

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Looks like all he's doing is buying from the local parts shops. You can get ANY hood/hatch strut at ANY parts store. These aren't rare things guys...

Turbo. Targa. Life.

SupraMania Shirt Slinger!
Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
Poodles said:
the hood isn't heavy....unless the fucker comes down on you and you don't have any leverage to pick it back up...

happened once, then I bought new struts...

back hatch is iffy in the cold weather, but I make do...

too bad the stout hood doesn't have a provision for the hood struts, I really want that hood, but a stick looks ghetto IMHO...
:ttiwwp: