Transmission Won't Slide On

I6Boost

Apr 14, 2010
My Supra
Ok so i've got my motor almost ready to drop in, installed my
aftermarket clutch onto the flywheel and tq spec'd it etc etc.

I've got my motor hoisted up and my tranny on a jack for mobility.

Greese up the spindle and try to slide the transmission on and it only goes so far
and just wont budge anymore theres only about 1" left to go untill the bellhousing hits the motor
and my bolts wont reach the 4 holes...

I have no clue what to do?! I push and push on that tranny and even tried to turn the spindle on the
driveshaft end a little incase the spindle and clutch weren't interlocking...

Any input?

Any help is much appreciated!, i've put alot of blood, sweat and profanity trying to do put this on.

I want my baby running asap lol.

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
Are the dowels on the engine matching up with the holes on the trans? I just recently bolted mine up and they went together fine.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Clutch needs to be bolted to the flywheel AFTER you slide the box in and bolt it to the engine....

Check the TRSM for the correct procedure.

you_re-doing-it-wrong.jpg

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
Put some hair around it lol. How far away is it form the block? Have the correct spline clutch? have you tried rotating the input shaft of trans?

I6Boost

Apr 14, 2010
My Supra
IJ.;1590593 said:
Clutch needs to be bolted to the flywheel AFTER you slide the box in and bolt it to the engine....

you_re-doing-it-wrong.jpg

God damnit...

Theres no way around it eh?

Cause at the moment i cant turn the crank.

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
I must have installed mine ass backwards and got lucky on my r154. I separated trans from bellhousing, removed bellhousing, installed new clutch, reinstall bellhousing then trans and so on. Had it on a lift still in car, and had no issues with it? except installing bolts from housing to trans thats a bitch.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Why would you need to turn the crank?

Pull the transmission / bell housing off
Unbolt pressure plate from the flywheel
slide pressure plate onto input shaft inside bell housing
slide clutch disk onto input shaft inside bell housing
slide transmission into place and bolt bell housing to engine block
using inspection panels in bell housing, bolt pressure plate to flywheel
profit!

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
GrimJack;1590609 said:

profit!

If i were you I6BOOST I would Listen to HIM ^^^^. :beer:

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
wardog;1590623 said:
If i were you I6BOOST I would Listen to HIM ^^^^. :beer:

Yup. Grim knows his stuff. Followed his method to pull the engine and it was a breeze!

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 PM ----------

I6Boost;1590591 said:
R154, && Dowels?

A dowel is what I call it. Not sure of the technical term. You can see it in this pic, above the flywheel, just below the coolant line.

p1590656_1.jpg

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

IJ.;1590593 said:

And definitely listen to IJ. This is the method I used.

Kevin

7mgte -> 7mgte swap done.
Apr 20, 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada
when i was doing it... i had it on with only about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch of space to go and couldnt slide it any more so we used to bolts to sort of pull them together making sure to keep it all even

alien4real

Jul 5, 2010
Pennsylvania
Did you change the pilot bearing?What trans is it the w-58 or r-154? Make sure you use the correct clutch kit and change the pilot bearing because I think they are different sizes but i might be wrong. MIne was a little hairy going into the new pilot bearing and required jacking the transmission all the way up and angling the motor just right to slide into the splines and align the pilot bearing. Don't force the bellhousing closed because it will ruin the pilot bearing.

I6Boost

Apr 14, 2010
My Supra
GrimJack;1590609 said:

profit!

I need to turn the crank in order to turn the flywheel which is bolted to the clutch
so i can turn the clutch and get all the bolts tightened...

Did that make sense lol? almost doesn't to me.

Thankfully i've got my transmission and motor hooked up now but my clutch isnt bolted to the flywheel
so im just gonna wait untill its all in the car and then take the inspection plates off and figure out how to turn it lol.

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I installed the clutch and pp on the fly first using a line up tool, and then slid the trans on, the input shaft of the trans prob isnt lining up with the pilot bearing, you just gotta play with it, but Yes the way Ij and grim explained is the Correct way of doing,,, this is just a second..

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
What clutch alignment tool? Mine's in a landfill somewhere as it's not needed ;)

Also, a small amount of grease on the tip of the input shaft (and I mean small, you don't want it to contaminate the clutch) helps a LOT. You should have also greased the shaft per the TSRM as well...

I6Boost

Apr 14, 2010
My Supra
Poodles;1590848 said:
Ratchet on the bolt that holds the front pulley on the engine...

Lol i had a recent thread about that...

The bolt just keeps tightening, and tightening. Not like a stripped thread where it gets
tight then loose tight then loose... But it just keeps getting tighter, i've had it tq'd well over the TSRM spec
and i dont wanna go any further, last thing i wanna do is heli coil my damn crank.