Tracking Down a Stupid Squeak

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Turbo Habanero;1861975 said:
Ok I was wrong what I meant is anytime I can here the fan clutch come on or become louder the belt will squeak but will not do it as soon as the fan quiets down.

I figured its the clutch kicking on to cool the car.

Also I do not have a a/c belt.

And when i run electric fans instead of my fan clutch the belt never squeaks.

So what you're saying is, you hear the squeak when the belt is having to turn the fan with resistance. Sounds like the surface on the belt is too smooth to 'grab' the clutch fan pulley to turn it without it squealing.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Turbo Habanero;1861975 said:
I figured its the clutch kicking on to cool the car.

the clutch doesn't "kick" on, it is fluid resistance powered. If the force to move air exceeds the fluid force, the fan spins slower than the pulley. It is a passive system.

Are your AC fans still coming on by any chance?

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
adampecush;1862032 said:
the clutch doesn't "kick" on, it is fluid resistance powered. If the force to move air exceeds the fluid force, the fan spins slower than the pulley. It is a passive system.

Are your AC fans still coming on by any chance?

I do not have a/c fans anymore.

I don't not have a stock radiator nor am I having any cooling problems my car stays nice and cool just a stupid squeal when the fan starts sounding like a airplane or metro bus but when the fan is quiet all IS good.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
There's a bimetallic valve in the front of the clutch assembly so in effect it does go on/off based on temp, i:e slip/less slip.

Correct tension on the belt and as long as the belt isn't glazed "should" solve the squeak.

LOL'd @ JJ and "keep swapping parts" :D

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
IJ.;1862047 said:
There's a bimetallic valve in the front of the clutch assembly so in effect it does go on/off based on temp, i:e slip/less slip.

Correct tension on the belt and as long as the belt isn't glazed "should" solve the squeak.

LOL'd @ JJ and "keep swapping parts" :D

I didn't know what else to do since every part is nearly new lol. I know its not the smartest thing to do tho. :)

Well since I've tried messing with the tension with no luck I'll replace the belt and try again.

Thanks everyone.