Tracking Down a Stupid Squeak

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
So guys i figured i'd move on to my next issue since i finally fixed my harness issues :)

It's not a big one but none the less one i'm having trouble getting the problem to go away.

I'm running a Stock Fan Clutch (Autozone brand) and Water pump with a Dayco Belt

Every time my Fan clutch is engaged my Car sounds like a Metro Bus Super Loud but that's not the issue when this is happening my belt well start squeaking like no other.

I've replaced belt fan clutch and water pump recently (last 1500miles)
Ive tried to tighten the tensioner and loosen it also with no avail.

Does anyone have any tips or trick for me it would be great.

I think my next thing would be going to Toyota for a brand new OEM Fan Clutch

Jyrydr

I Wanna Go Fast
May 26, 2012
Western Australia
Not your power steering? Is it worse when you turn? If so check belt and for leaks.
Probably not if your sure its on the fan belts cycle. Worth a look if your not.
Thats what mine was, worn belt, then blew a hose, still noisy, belt was loose, still squeaks(just a chirp) at full lock, should just be my widey's, to much load or belt tension still a bit off.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Jyrydr;1860779 said:
Not your power steering? Is it worse when you turn? If so check belt and for leaks.
Probably not if your sure its on the fan belts cycle. Worth a look if your not.
Thats what mine was, worn belt, then blew a hose, still noisy, belt was loose, still squeaks(just a chirp) at full lock, should just be my widey's, to much load or belt tension still a bit off.

My PS doesn't work but the belt is there i just have to keep adding fluid due to a rack that is pretty bad.

I'm pretty positive it is the belt on the Fan and Alternator becuase it goes away if i put my E fans on and remove the fan clutch. Also turning has no effect on the Squeak.

Just acceleration and when the fan clutch gets noisey

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Turbo Habanero;1860782 said:
My PS doesn't work but the belt is there i just have to keep adding fluid due to a rack that is pretty bad.

I'm pretty positive it is the belt on the Fan and Alternator becuase it goes away if i put my E fans on and remove the fan clutch. Also turning has no effect on the Squeak.

Just acceleration and when the fan clutch gets noisey

shouldn't you be replacing/ fix that P/S issue first :p?

Back to topic, sounds like bad fan clutch. Does anyone have a good one around you that you can use to test, process of elimination can save some $ and time :)

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
akito;1860870 said:
shouldn't you be replacing/ fix that P/S issue first :p?

Back to topic, sounds like bad fan clutch. Does anyone have a good one around you that you can use to test, process of elimination can save some $ and time :)

I should be but i need to purchase a new rack and power steering lines and set some time to just pull the motor to make it easy on myself for replacing

As for some one having a extra the only one's are in use on there cars but i'm sure they would let me use one for a min to see

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
jetjock;1861311 said:
Keep swapping parts until it's fixed! ;)

Will do next is another belt and water pump.

Also the sensor on the thermostat housing closest to the fan blades is leaking out the sensor now lol and I don't mean its leaking from the treads its actually leaking through the area with the clip plugs in

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
jetjock;1861341 said:
You missed the sarcasm Jordan. Swapping parts is never a good way to solve problems.
oh I did Lmao.

Well i figured the parts where cheap enough.

Andy i've tried to loosen it with no avail

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Take accessory belts off one by one when the squeak is there. When it's gone you'll at least know where to be looking. Also make sure all your pulleys are clean and the belts aren't dried up.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
radiod;1861352 said:
Take accessory belts off one by one when the squeak is there. When it's gone you'll at least know where to be looking. Also make sure all your pulleys are clean and the belts aren't dried up.

I only have one belt at the moment :)

And i cleaned the pully when I pulled it earlier today. The belt is about 2 months old.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
What do you mean by "each time my fan clutch is engaged"? So any time your car is idling or at low rev, it squeals? The only time the fan clutch is "disengaged" is at higher revs where the fan freewheels. Sounds like it might be your AC belt, squealing when your AC kicks on (provided you have that still installed).

Do all of your belt pullies turn smoothly? (including idlers, alternator, power steering, water pump, AC)

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
adampecush;1861962 said:
What do you mean by "each time my fan clutch is engaged"? So any time your car is idling or at low rev, it squeals? The only time the fan clutch is "disengaged" is at higher revs where the fan freewheels. Sounds like it might be your AC belt, squealing when your AC kicks on (provided you have that still installed).

Do all of your belt pullies turn smoothly? (including idlers, alternator, power steering, water pump, AC)

Ok I was wrong what I meant is anytime I can here the fan clutch come on or become louder the belt will squeak but will not do it as soon as the fan quiets down.

I figured its the clutch kicking on to cool the car.

Also I do not have a a/c belt.

And when i run electric fans instead of my fan clutch the belt never squeaks.