Track car

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
Hey everyone.

I'm strongly considering picking up a chassis for an xcross track car. I might even get into circuit racing locally.

I'm looking for best overall performance + light chassis. Is a 90+ hardtop, r154, 1jz, twin turbo a good/the best setup?

Let the input begin!

Thanks in advance.

usdm_anon

Mar 20, 2010
Madison, WI
get a miata

/thread

but in all seriousness, they can be made into great track cars, but remember they're heavy ass boats, and very expensive (hence why you never see them at the track). aren't 86.5 hardtops the lightest year? i'd suggest looking for one of those. otherwise find a lighter car, if you want a good track car for little money.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yep, miata in the end is cheaper and better performing. You also don't have to lighten them as they don't have any weight to them anyway.

MKIII you'll have to gut to be competitive. Auto-X is about handling, not speed. Since that's the case, find an old shell and build it up instead of ripping apart a later model. It'll be cheaper and you're not "ruining" a car :)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Supra0089;1760676 said:
What about a mid 80's MR2?

Better idea for autocross for sure. Mk3 would make a good road racing car if you have the cash though. However, as mentioned above, Miata is always the default answer to this sort of question.

However... if one were looking to do a Supra for autocross, I would say a Mk2 with a 1uz would be a good starting point. ;)

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
te72;1760702 said:
Better idea for autocross for sure. Mk3 would make a good road racing car if you have the cash though. However, as mentioned above, Miata is always the default answer to this sort of question.

However... if one were looking to do a Supra for autocross, I would say a Mk2 with a 1uz would be a good starting point. ;)

I was considering a mk2 with a 7mgte on a stock turbo as well.

kotu100;1760744 said:
i've got a hardtop here in MA for ya, it'd be nice for a track car.

Orly...details?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Supra0089;1760781 said:
I was considering a mk2 with a 7mgte on a stock turbo as well.

Been tossing about that idea myself too... I seem to recall IJ mentioning that by the time you convert a Mk2 to have all the good bits of the underside of the MK3, it ends up weighing almost as much as a MK3 anyway.