Toyota scion fr-s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

89niner

Jul 3, 2011
warshingtonia
Any thoughts on this new awesome car? Just saw the commercial for the new "ae-86" the fr-s, Ive heard that the styling comes straight from toyota but rocks the same engine as the subaru bRZ. Looks totally sweet, and is totally a drivers car. Seems like toyota might finally be getting back into the cool car scene again. "fingers crossed"

honeydew

Supra Freebaser
May 10, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
I think it's awesome looking, a little pricey, I think they could lower that $3-$4K. The Subaru and the Scion have identical interiors. Bimmer guys were posting opinion threads on their forum and not a whole lot of them dug the style but I really like it.

I'll get a pic for the top of your thread:
p1851996_1.jpg

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Thats a prototype pic of the FR-S, the production cars don't look as agressive.
2013-Scion-FR-S-front-three-quarter-2.JPG.jpg

They need to bring the price down to 21-22k. Or boost it.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
honeydew;1851996 said:
I think it's awesome looking, a little pricey, I think they could lower that $3-$4K. The Subaru and the Scion have identical interiors.
Actually, style (both interior and exterior) is the biggest difference in the two. Motortrend had a nice writeup about them recently. I wouldn't mind one, but we already have a couple threads about this car, and there are a couple other cars I'd have first:

NSX
MkIV Supra
FD (?)

All three of those can be had cheaper, and I'm sure handle 90% as good. Plus, when is the last time you saw any of them? ;)

For what it's worth though, they're priced about right, given various economics these days.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Saw it at Toyota fest couple months ago. Don't really like all the sharp body lines. Look fun to drive tho.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Close that wheel gap, some alternate wheels, add a small amount of umph, standard lsd and id be inclined to go haggle with a salesguy.

Te72 got it though. It's still a good chunk of $$ and I'd much rather have a clean 90s nsx or early lotus elise or a handful of other, more exotic cars for $25k.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I saw one on the road the other day, and it doesn't look as aggressive as the demo. 200hp 155ft/lb... I hope this car weighs in @ 1900lbs. Is there a turbocharged model coming out?
I'm not impressed until I drive one. Since I'm not in the market to buy I won't be driving one anytime soon.

mk3_4me

Apr 24, 2011
Sandy Eggo
Suprapowaz!(2);1852128 said:
I saw one on the road the other day, and it doesn't look as aggressive as the demo. 200hp 155ft/lb... I hope this car weighs in @ 1900lbs. Is there a turbocharged model coming out?
I'm not impressed until I drive one. Since I'm not in the market to buy I won't be driving one anytime soon.
^This. I actually like the syle, however. But that's it. Having a 2.0 RSX, I know how pathetic the performance of 200hp & 155 ftlb/tq (similar numbers to the RSX) is. On my RSX, it was terribly slow. I can only imagine how bad it would be in a heavier car. The RWD platform is a plus, but the only way you could really test its limits is by throwing on at least a bunch of bolt ons (IMO). Just for shits & giggles I built my own car on the subaru & scion websites. From what I can tell, the major differences are exterior colors, & accessories. Badging, gauge cluster color, etc. should go without saying. What's sad, is Hyundai's Genesis is only a couple thousand more than this will be, & it comes factory with a turbo. Throw a slightly larger turbo on those things, & you can get at least another 40hp out of them for a few hundred dollars.

All in all, if this is the effort that Toyota/Subaru are going to put out in a joint effort, I feel they should just go their separate ways. Toyota can continue to focus on making gas sippers, & Subaru can keep making awesome AWD offroad-ready cars.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Suprapowaz!(2);1852128 said:
As the former owner of a lot of underpowered, but lightweight cars, I will say this much:

Numbers don't mean everything.

Given the same stretch of road with a handful of turns in it, I am more than willing to bet that a decent driver (give me a few months in one of these) could give 90% of our Supras more than a run for the money with an FRS/BRZ. Put some grippier tires on there, and I'd be surprised if the Supra can keep up. For what it's worth, the NSX was underpowered too, but you don't hear many complaints from anyone who has actually driven one... ;)

Drag racing though? Yeah, that's not going to be the fun part of these cars. :p

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
I sat in one at the local dealership, the seat was amazing. All the controls were very close and readily accessible, and I could operate the clutch with my boots on. I opened the hood too, the engine is really tiny, its wide as hell, about as wide as my 1UZ, but still tiny. The photos on the computer don’t do it justice on how small and low it really is. I noticed the transmission is tiny too, and seemed like there was lots of room in the trans tunnel, like I could fit my arms around the trans from below. The starter looks like it could be replaced in 5 mins or so from the top!!! All the bolt heads were polished, reminded me of the Supra when they were new, lots of shiny bolt heads and smooth grey aluminum. Doing a tune up (spark plugs) looked like it could be a pain just from where the spark plugs are, but all the front engine covers could be accessed to do a timing chain relatively easily. The oil filter is on top too with a little spill box so oil doesn’t drip down onto the engine.

Although I didn’t drive one yet, I have a feeling the horsepower and torque will make a real fun car and the chassis will give people plenty of room for improvement in the power department. I can bet future maintenance being easier than most others cars too. If things go right for me in the next few months I may place an order for the Scion, and after checking one out, it really doesn’t matter to me what badge is displayed on the thing, its a nice car!

dmp316

Yard Man
Jan 25, 2011
Cape Coral,FL and Jamaica
Seems like its going to be a fun car to drive neither way you put it. For the price you can get a EVO 9 or a WRX. The 21K range like someone said would be a better deal, and a turbo charged model for 24k would be steal. I would like to see what people and companies tune these cars.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
You guys do all realize that there will be plenty of these things in the 15-20k range in a couple years, right? Be patient. ;)

I mean, there's no way in hell I would have been able to touch an NSX 10 years ago...

mk3_4me

Apr 24, 2011
Sandy Eggo
True. But there's just something about buying brand new, & knowing that nobody else has had the chance to screw anything up in the car. I, for one, am willing to take that risk, though. Too many BS off-the-lot taxes.

89niner

Jul 3, 2011
warshingtonia
Its cool and I know it will be fun to drive but I really wish it had the targa top option. Targa = coolest bestest thing ever, gets the chicks everytime

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
Yup, targa would be very cool!

I also agree better deals will be had after a year or two, BUT, I can see so many of these cars are going to be broke in incorrectly and abused in the first few years. This is the first "internet" car I have seen, where it has thousands of followers before its even released. With so many waiting for it and watching professional drivers beat the hell out of them on the track It will be no surprise to me to see a bunch of these totaled, run down, or just have tons of issues. When the Hyndu Genesis came out I saw a punk kid at the local mall doing doughnuts in it... Yea, way to break it in junior...

I recently saw a blog post online; the first FR-S has been wrecked in the US... So basically the way I see it, if you like this car, and don’t want a basket case, buy it new, or from someone you know...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I'm not terribly worried about previous owner issues. I bought my 2000 Miata for less than half of what it sold for 6 or 7 years prior, and it only had ~65k on it. Was still in great shape, needed the cat replaced, but other than that... was a good car.

Then again, if you held a gun to my head and told me I HAD to pick a <$30,000 car, this would be the one for me, without question.

I will say this much, on the subject of the power level... it could be more, at least for those of us at a higher altitude like myself. At sea level, I imagine this thing is an absolute blast.