Toyota scion fr-s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
You know, ended up watching some videos of this car over the weekend. That was a mistake... I get the feeling that if I end up driving one of these, I may end up falling in love with it. Plus, as much as I'd love an NSX, it seems the market on them is headed to the far end of what I call "reasonably obtainable" pricing. :nono:

However, a few things keep making me think twice:

-$27,000
-Mazda is working on the ND Miata, the FRS should be a shot in the arm of Mazda, a bit of inspiration for them. They've done this kind of car right for 20 years now, no reason they can't make it better...
-The NB Miata. Hell, even a Mazdaspeed is getting down around the $10k mark, and what I could do to it with another $10k is make it an absolute monster.
-The Chevy... need to get around to that sometime too...
-The Supra. Nothing is getting done until that is done. ;)

One argument I heard was the whole "warranty" thing of a new car. You would think that people know me well enough to know that I have at least one other running car at all times. :p

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Finally got to check one out the other day, and I will say this much about them:

-Most comfortable seats I've ever sat in other than the Mk3 (these were light, manual seats too!)
-Dimensionally, they are VERY similar to the FC Rx7 (which is a good thing)
-The rear seat is a comical thing. Even with a shorter driver, I would have a tough time fitting in the back seat, and I'm maybe 5'8" with shoes on. :p

Didn't drive it (don't wanna fall in love just yet, and it was an auto anyway), but sat in it all over, looked at it from every angle, etc, etc.

It's gonna be a tough choice once I get the house sorted out. Even the old lady is looking at them seriously as a comparison to the MkIV Supra. I dare say this might be a better car to start with for a RWD car for her...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Just saw one on a dyno (on Youtube), I'm thinking this one might be a bit of a factory freak:

[video=youtube;zhshjDMfcto]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhshjDMfcto[/video]

I've seen them dyno anywhere from around 150whp (which seems a bit low to me) up to this 178whp (which seems high, that's only an 11% drivetrain loss). My comparison from a Miata that on a good day put down 105whp... I'm looking forward to driving one of these. Anyone else?

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Wow, they're not governed to ~ 150mph like most new cars? Or has someone been doing a little tuning with the stock ECU. Maybe that's why the HP numbers seem up from normal.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I've yet to find a speed limiter on any Toyota I've ever driven... You? I know some of the 1j cars had them, but that's the only one that comes to mind.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Another thing I'm interested in, is that Greddy is working on tuning the FA20 engine in these. Both turbo and NA products from what I read in a recent Super Street (believe it was SS). Anyway, I think with the 12.5:1 compression AND boost, this will be an insanely fun and responsive car. Now the question is, how would you tune a car with both port and direct injection?

Something like Vtec controlling comes to my mind, I'm thinking they could use that to make it ONLY direct injection. Sure fuel economy would suffer a bit, but it will anyway with a newly boosted car. ;)

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
GT-86 II (2).jpg I took time out during the holidays to drive this car. I and the sales rep drove it around the local country roads, (ones that I regularly drive the Supra), and the weather cooperated, no rain!. Roads were still wet, but no standing water. I was surprised that the space for a six footer was as good as it was. Head room is adequate, but using the stock seats and a racing helmet is out of the question!
The road trip was not a spirited as I'd take the Supra, but it was spirited. In a corner, the FRS is so light feeling that I wasn't able to tell how fast I was going w/o looking at the speedo to give me a sense of the speed. I felt that this car would have been able to take the corners as well as my very modified Supra usually allows me, given enough time. I will say that the power coming out of the corners is typical of NA motors and as such disappointing for someone who has gotten used to getting hit with the turbo power coming on and having to modulate that power. I found myself keeping the tach on the FRS above 3500 just to get the response I expected. The sales rep was cringing, but was still having fun.
No, I won't purchase this car, as my Supra addiction is too complete. I will predict that this car will make its way onto SCCA and NASA competition in Club Racing, as did the S2000. Van

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I thought the FRS was a fancy-shmancy corolla? Saw one while looking for a Sienna and it looked great, but when I looked closely.. I had a "corolla" feeling creeping in .. lol.

Not slamming the car.. I have owned 5 Corolla's.. and the first 2 were driven with the pedal up or down.. never in between...

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
te72;1857775 said:
I've yet to find a speed limiter on any Toyota I've ever driven... You? I know some of the 1j cars had them, but that's the only one that comes to mind.

My 2008 xle Camry has limiter 155mph and I've taken it that high no problem

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Van;1902514 said:
View attachment 63774 I took time out during the holidays to drive this car. I and the sales rep drove it around the local country roads, (ones that I regularly drive the Supra), and the weather cooperated, no rain!. Roads were still wet, but no standing water. I was surprised that the space for a six footer was as good as it was. Head room is adequate, but using the stock seats and a racing helmet is out of the question!
Thanks for the review Van. I trust the words coming out of your mouth more than most reviews I've seen so far. So, my assumption that this car is a momentum car and needs you to carry more speed in than trying to power out seems correct.

Now, the question is, would you ever consider one knowing that there are S2000's for $10k less, and Miatas even cheaper out there? Frankly I think the FR-S looks better, but it's hard to argue the fun/dollar that either of those other two options would provide...

Grandavi;1902603 said:
I thought the FRS was a fancy-shmancy corolla? Saw one while looking for a Sienna and it looked great, but when I looked closely.. I had a "corolla" feeling creeping in .. lol.

Not slamming the car.. I have owned 5 Corolla's.. and the first 2 were driven with the pedal up or down.. never in between...
Grant, that's the best way to drive a Corolla sir. I had a 1980 (my namesake on here was its chassis code), most fun "less than $500" car I've ever had. It's a short list, but that one was by far the most fun.

All things considered, I wouldn't have been at all upset if this was given the Corolla name, or even Celica name. Both cars are ancestors to the FR-S in their own way anyway.

dubsupra209;1902650 said:
My 2008 xle Camry has limiter 155mph and I've taken it that high no problem
Err... no shit? Not that I doubt they could do it (enough gears and a healthy V6), but I question your sanity in taking what many consider a washing machine up to 155mph. :p

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
"Thanks for the review Van. I trust the words coming out of your mouth more than most reviews I've seen so far. So, my assumption that this car is a momentum car and needs you to carry more speed in than trying to power out seems correct.

Now, the question is, would you ever consider one knowing that there are S2000's for $10k less, and Miatas even cheaper out there? Frankly I think the FR-S looks better, but it's hard to argue the fun/dollar that either of those other two options would provide..."

I've always loved the S2k, but I love the Supra even more! So, no I wouldn't purchase any of them. I'll spend my dollars on improvements to my Supra. Van

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Fair enough. Eventually you'll run out of stuff to fix/improve on the Supra though, will you not?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
You know... I still haven't completely ruled on of these out yet. Between this, the FD, the NSX, Factory Five's Project 818 (or their GTM for that matter!), an MS Miata, Westfield... it's gonna be hard to make up my mind in a couple years. Whatever it ends up being, I don't want something that will overlap with the Supra. No sense in having two cars that are almost identical...