Towing a MKIII

KMinAF

Old Man
Sep 15, 2006
American Fork, UT
The argument in the office here is regarding recovering from a "fish tail" situation while towing i.e. towing your car on a trailer

If the trailer starts to fish tail should you speed up, gently slow down or apply the brake?

My vote is to gently slow down but since this has never happened to me I am not sure.

What is your opinion?

nightmare

Sep 19, 2008
Southern Indiana
How you distribute your weight will make a bigg difference. Usually I put a little more weight on the front of the trailer it helps keep it the trailer stable. But you dont want it all on there or it will make the truck bouncy and handle like crap. I usually use a car dolly. And it has pins that lock the dollies wheels in place. They're worn out so I can't drive it over 55mph. As long as the trailer is in good shape. You should be able to balance the weight and it should handle fine.
But to really answer your question.... I always slow down when the dolly starts weaving.

djazem1

Nov 12, 2007
philly
its like your driving your supra dont let off or hit the breaks cuz youll loose it keep it were it is or go faster

Dr Chill

4 hungry Supras
Nov 27, 2007
Mississippi
When trailer fishtails , speed up till it stops .
Also more weight in the front helps to not fishtail . Ive pulled 2 supras home ... I live in mississippi . & pulled 1 from Jacksonville Fl , & 1 from Montgomery Al . Both long trips

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
Accelerate slowly to stablize the trailer & car then slowly ease it down to a safe cruising speed.

I ended up towing mine behind our minivan (yeah, I know, way too heavy, but not a lot of options at the time) with the rear end on the dolly to avoid dropping the drive shaft. Got kinda hairy now and then, especially just south of Atlanta on 85 where they're doing all the construction work.

Lightbluesupra

Dec 23, 2008
Ocean Springs
Dr Chill;1256094 said:
When trailer fishtails , speed up till it stops .
Also more weight in the front helps to not fishtail . Ive pulled 2 supras home ... I live in mississippi . & pulled 1 from Jacksonville Fl , & 1 from Montgomery Al . Both long trips

When I tow stuff, I slow down when the load starts to fishtail. It only seems to fishtail after exceeding a certain speed. So whatever that speed is (dependent on weight and distribution of load and the handling charateristics of the towing vehicle) I don't try to exceed it. Once I towed a dismantled 12foot by 20 foot shed at 40mph with a 1980 ford F100, it took 5 hours to get it to my new home. Faster than 40mph and it was scary :aigo: the load took weight off the front end and decreased steering capability. I let off gas and slowed without braking. I don't think in a situation like that I would want to keep building speed.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
Definitely slow down by holding the wheel straight and foot off gas. Shit starts getting crazy above certain speeds and are much more stable at lower speeds. As the vehicle slows down it stops. Above 50 mph is when the crazy shit has potential to start happening.

The weight distribution matters alot.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
I just towed a Supra chassis (everything but the motor) a bit over 2 hours at 70mph in a '94 Ford F350. The Supra was strapped securely to my tow dolly. No issues at all, no fishtailing, nothing.

That truck rides like a rock, though. :(

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
Not addressed to anyone in particular, but if you're pulling a trailer which is already unstable and beginning to fishtail, applying the brakes could easily exacerbate the fishtail.

Think about it... what happens when you apply the brakes. The vehicle slows but the weight more-or-less transfers forward toward the nose. If the vehicle is tail-heavy or turning a little the backend will want to slide around and forward, and it's worse in the rain or snow. By the same token, if you've got a trailer which is already moving from side to side, any slowing at the swing point (the towing vehicle and the hitch) can result in the tail coming further around due to the inertial whipping action of a trailer already moving laterally.

Those of us advocating speeding up slightly aren't talking about hammering the throttle, but of simply increasing speed slowly and slightly in order to "pull" the trailer out straight, getting the nose of the trailer moving a little faster than the swinging tail and thereby encouraging the trailer to follow the nose and reduce the side-to-side motion. Once it's straight you ease it back down to your cruising speed.

Not the most scientific explanation of course and certainly not trying to start any sort of flame-war, just wanting to help safeguard our members here.