To 2JZ or not to 2JZ

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Older electronics and design, it's just that simple. Plus, you can pick up 2JZ-GE's for pretty cheap as they're far newer and likely to be in a junkyard (and were used in more cars).

1JZ is a waste these days. Years ago you used to be able to get a front clip for cheap and do a complete swap with the only real hard part being extending the wiring harness. These days, their front sump motors with hacked wiring harnesses and you end up spending the money on all the parts to make them work that you could have done on a 2J for the same price for a larger engine.

Not to mention the 2J is legal and part are easier to find (and if the engine is locally sourced, milage can be confirmed).

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
^ that's pretty much the reason most folks did it.. for me, it was the fact that it was a motor that was available in the chassis elsewhere (semi-purist/basically bolt-in aside from wiring, etc), and it was quite a bit cheaper.

I'm also happy in an odd sense though because 2J cars are showing up all over around me, and very few seem the least bit interested in the 1J. More for me! :)

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
Venus's sells supra 1jz front clips for $2500 with r154 seems pretty legit to me. 2js cost a lot when I was looking for one they where $2300 front sump. Another $250 or so for rear sump. I got my 1j from Venus $1074.00 out the door rear sump clean motor. I didn't extend harness so saved me a lot of cash. If you do go 2j or 1j or 1uz just take your time. That's what I've been doing and finding great deals on parts I need.

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
Can you surf the internet on a 36k dial up connection? Sure, but isn't 10meg cable a lot better and enjoyable way to do it? It costs a little more but it sure is worth it.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Mr Bojangles;1902940 said:
Can you surf the internet on a 36k dial up connection? Sure, but isn't 10meg cable a lot better and enjoyable way to do it? It costs a little more but it sure is worth it.

Well this comparison aint stupid at all..... Because dial up internet can achieve the same speeds as dsl or cable internet..... It costs a little more on any engine to make power.....

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
But you cant make the same power. How much will a stock 7m take? How much will a stock 2J take? How much will a built 7m make vs a built 2J. Yes the 2J is more but you get more.

Any other argument is just nut swinging.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Mr Bojangles;1902961 said:
But you cant make the same power. How much will a stock 7m take? How much will a stock 2J take? How much will a built 7m make vs a built 2J. Yes the 2J is more but you get more.

Any other argument is just nut swinging.

And how much are you going to make on your 2J? 700 HP? 800? 900? 3000?....... Please.... A 7M can make tons of power just like a 2J but are you ever going to meet the absolute limit on any of them two? Honestly few people do and those who make those kind of numbers are not even close to being daily(street cars) drivers..... So why would I care if my engine can handle up 3000000000 hp when all I need is 400 for a reliable, fun, fast car...... I have had a papa johns delivery boy tell me 7M sucks because it can only make pshh "700-800" hp..... I can bet my car that dude has never been in or driven 400 hp car and is talking trash..... People now n days throw around hp numbers like nothing..... Not saying the 7M is neck to neck with a 2JZ but golee..... You can still make tons of power on a 7M and pwn 1Jz,2Jz, K20's I dont even care what its running... It all boils down to how much tha person invested in that engine vs how much did that other person invested in theirs......

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Sside;1902967 said:
And how much are you going to make on your 2J? 700 HP? 800? 900? 3000?....... Please.... A 7M can make tons of power just like a 2J but are you ever going to meet the absolute limit on any of them two? Honestly few people do and those who make those kind of numbers are not even close to being daily(street cars) drivers..... So why would I care if my engine can handle up 3000000000 hp when all I need is 400 for a reliable, fun, fast car...... I have had a papa johns delivery boy tell me 7M sucks because it can only make pshh "700-800" hp..... I can bet my car that dude has never been in or driven 400 hp car and is talking trash..... People now n days throw around hp numbers like nothing..... Not saying the 7M is neck to neck with a 2JZ but golee..... You can still make tons of power on a 7M and pwn 1Jz,2Jz, K20's I dont even care what its running... It all boils down to how much tha person invested in that engine vs how much did that other person invested in theirs......

We have a Winner!
Been saying this for years a True 500rwhp "Street Car" isn't "easy" or cheap.. huge difference making 500+rwhp once on a dyno to having it as a daily driver that can back it up time and again without failure.

LunaVyohr

Classhole
Sep 30, 2011
Paonia, Colorado
While the 7M isn't a bad motor, the 2JZ is simply a better platform to make power with. That isn't really debatable. The 2JZ is a younger, more improved, better designed platform.

spoolme

supra4umsfreak
May 9, 2005
Roswell, NM
I got a question kinda....I saw this one one of these forums... but i dont know much about the swaps....
I read that if you got a mk3 NA with the 7mge motor... a 2jzge is pretty much an easy swap.. can use the stock 7mge ECU and wiring harness just need to extend or modify a few wires/plugs.

Someone please clear this up for me.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
spoolme;1903084 said:
I got a question kinda....I saw this one one of these forums... but i dont know much about the swaps....
I read that if you got a mk3 NA with the 7mge motor... a 2jzge is pretty much an easy swap.. can use the stock 7mge ECU and wiring harness just need to extend or modify a few wires/plugs.

Someone please clear this up for me.
This is wrong.

The 7M-GTE factory electronics can run a 2JZ-GE. So you need a Mk3 turbo to swap in the Mk4 NA motor. The bonus is that it still handles everything right if you add a turbo to the 2JZ.

LunaVyohr;1902985 said:
While the 7M isn't a bad motor, the 2JZ is simply a better platform to make power with. That isn't really debatable. The 2JZ is a younger, more improved, better designed platform.
So what?

By the time I've paid for the motor, done the electronics to make it work in my A70 chassis, then made it physically fit in that chassis, I'll be lucky if it's pushing 350 at the flywheel. I might go so far as to get to 400 at the wheels, but I'm pretty sure that my budget runs out before I get much further. So I've got a 2JZ-GTE which will do... exactly what my 7M is going to do for WAY lower dollars.

Sure a 2JZ can make more power, So can an LS1. Don't get me wrong, I love the 2JZ, butI'd be far more tempted to swap in the LS1 in terms of dollars/pony. You want a "better platform to make power" then I'd say that's it.

I've always been told that the cheapest car to own is the car you own. I'd say the same with engines. If you've got a 7M-GTE then the cheapest way to the goal of X WHP, or Y torque will be to build the engine that you have, until your goal can no longer be supported on that platform. Once you swap engines (Or cars, for that matter) then you have the option of whatever you're going to make work.

And in the end, it's still a 2 ton A70 chassis. Put the same power in a Mk2 and it'll eat your lunch. Power is only one side of the power/weight equation. So for me, given the weight of my Mk3 Supras, my power goals will remin within the capabilities of the 7M-GTE. If I really want more performance than that, I'll do it in a different chassis.

Last edited:

spoolme

supra4umsfreak
May 9, 2005
Roswell, NM
oh ok. So is there a lot to change to swap a 2jzge? oil pan? bellhousing? do you gota run a w58?
im sick of my 7m built or not... im ready to just trade my whole car for a stock sc300. :/

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
My experience in 12 years, two 500.00 JDM 7mge ebay motors, one expensive well know supra retailer rebuilt 7mge that had mechanical issues from the beginning that lasted less than 30k miles, now I am a happy camper with a Kaizen swap used 2jzge on 7mge electronics, I love the extra power and the known reliability, that's just the way it is.