To 2JZ or not to 2JZ

eduardssupra559

Dec 21, 2012
Parlier, Ca.
Hey guys, im having alittle problem and could really use some advice. I have a 89 t top turbo with the 7m, but i recently spun a bearing. Im trying to figure out if i should fix it or just go 2jz already. The car was parked for about 10 years so i practically restored it completely to what it is now. Only things ive changed on it is 3in exhaust w cat (cali smog laws suck), coilovers, stage 2 clutch, and upgraded the brakes. Ive replaced a bunch of other shit but it was maintenence and restoration. So what i need to know is should i swap or fix. Im going for about 400-500hp but my main goal is reliablility. Its was daily driver. I am a little tight on money but if swappng will make that big of a difference i dont mind saving up. Plus i like how 2JZ rolls off the tounge. :)

mcammarn

matt
Feb 24, 2012
olympia wa
seeing how you are new to the forum, ill inform you there is a search button. theres alot of talk of this on the forum already. youve just got to look.

that being said, it all depends on your budget if you want to go 2jz or not.
when i spun a bearing, i just rebuilt my 7m. i had the whole bottom end rebuilt for less then 1200$.
thats with machining work and parts included.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
My opinion is a jz swap. Much more reliable and power friendly.

Also lets not make this a 7m vs 1j vs 2j thread or it will be locked.........

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
In my experience 1jz swaps are not any cheaper then any other swap to be honest.....

Just do what you ultimately want the first time and don't kick your self later..

Patient = key

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Turbo Habanero;1902726 said:
In my experience 1jz swaps are not any cheaper then any other swap to be honest.....

Just do what you ultimately want the first time and don't kick your self later..

Patient = key

They are cheaper. About 1k+ cheaper than a 2j swap. Basically the cost of the motor which right now 1jz are sub 1k. 2j 2k+.

Other than that the price for parts are the same for either engine and total cost comes down to what deals you can find and how much work you do your self.
Along with if you get a good motor that doesn't need a rebuild.

My swap was about 3-3300. Could have been far less as well if I got a used bell housing and stock clutch.

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
I believe you mean TARGA top? & i'd go 1JZ. But of course, that's what I plan to do. & NO i've never had a BHG. 25K+ miles on the rebuilt 7MGTE running 12 psi of boost & the odds were stacked against me (Fel pro HG. i was suppose to install a 2mm HG).. 7M's are good motors as long as you build them right.
What you do is your choice. In my personal opinion & belief: I believe its safer to do 500rwhp on a JZ engine....

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
2JZGE-T swap running on 7M-GTE electronics is cheaper than going true 2JZ-GTE. The main cost of it is the turbo system (which if you're looking for power, you'd be doing on the other engines as well).

Heavy D

Jun 3, 2009
worcester, ma
im rebuilding my 7m im around 1200-1500 into it with new parts, its ready to drop in but i also have a 2jz, that i only paid 250 for it, couldnt pas it up and it has 90k on it, but i plan to build that up, just take your time do research, 7m is a great motor, you just gotta make sure not to cheap out on anything and have things professionally done, if you dont know what your doing

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
7M is going to be cheaper and still very reliable if done right. Its going to save you tons and tons of headaches and time looking up just about everything. A good 7M build can still make alot of power and like I said if done right its very reliable. Keep in mind that making reliable power in any engine takes $$$...... I rebuilt my 7M engine a little over 3 years ago and took care of everything possible..... I even replaced the oil squirters.... The outcome was a beautiful idling strong engine that is still very fun even on light mods. My power goal over time has gone up and down.... I'm sure that with all the components necessary I could make 450-500 hp and not even worry about my engine. I'm not looking for that but more towards 350+ will prob never see over 400 and I will be happy.... The JZ thought has crossed my head severals times but in my case, I rather be driving my 7M then having my car in the garage/shop for a long time on a build....... 7M, 1JZ, 2JZ.... They are all good, they all make lots of power..... Yeah sure alot of people knock on the 7M for not being reliable but from my experience after the build..... If I could go back in time and do it all over again... Id do it, No doubt about it....

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
7m can be reliable if done right. But they have to be done perfect. Jz out of the box are so much smoother. Since ive had my 1j i have never had a thought that something might happen. 7k pulls all the time and idles like i just started i for the first time.

Only way id drive a 7m is if it was rebuilt and for the most part stock or slightly modded. For power jz all the way. Though my goal eventually is 11k atleast on a 1j. And im not the stock kind of guy.

Basically it all comes down to preferance and what you want. Take a ride in a buddys car with a jz and see how you like it and then compare to your 7m.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
hvyman;1902781 said:
7m can be reliable if done right. But they have to be done perfect. Jz out of the box are so much smoother. Since ive had my 1j i have never had a thought that something might happen. 7k pulls all the time and idles like i just started i for the first time.

Only way id drive a 7m is if it was rebuilt and for the most part stock or slightly modded. For power jz all the way. Though my goal eventually is 11k atleast on a 1j. And im not the stock kind of guy.

Basically it all comes down to preferance and what you want. Take a ride in a buddys car with a jz and see how you like it and then compare to your 7m.

Not trying to make this a 7M vs 1JZ but its interesting how you say that light mods are okay with 7M but for power Jz all the way... Would you care to explain why it is that a 7M is not for high power considering the fact that there are plenty of high powered 7M's out there.... Everyone knows Jz's can make power so that does not matter... Just want to hear from your point of view why the 7M cant, considering all the things to take in consideration when building a high power engine....

I know this is a show but the engine in this mk3 is indeed a 7M......
[video=youtube;04OFWKHHzQE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04OFWKHHzQE[/video]

Looks like that 7M is making decent amount of power that are not in any way "light mods".....
Once again not making this a vs but I am interested in why??? :d