Tnice17's 1987 MK3 Street Build - Weekend Warrior Project

Tnice17

May 26, 2014
CT
Awesome. Thanks guys. I think the 110 will suit my needs just fine.

I took off the intake manifold to help visualize how I will do the FFIM with stock TB, where I would need to cut the plenum, idle air flange has a little lip in the inside so I'll need to save that.

I can get a 1/8th thick 4" tube that's 36" long for about $30! If I can cut off the flanges from the stock manifold, TB and air valve. I'll be in good shape!

Will also need to clean up the parts on the TB. Can I delete that air filter thing? From what I can see so far is that the pre 89 TB is good because I can adjust the idle screw....?

b3bbb836916ae4f1c610fc4832392c06.jpg
35d6759905acead5e32b7228d3364def.jpg
4c1e96575271b470ae70d6b541fe3b39.jpg
2da14632ed6f517973e5828f4a05a149.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kakanator

Apr 25, 2010
Fresno, California, United States
that down pipe though amazing sir. also the wrap looks great should work well with that blanket too. The ac fans on my car had two I cut the wire on the fan side and made a harness for the ford fans so my thero single wire triggers them. Works great.

sheedy126

Boost Addict
Apr 30, 2012
kennewick
yep, you can take the "filter" off the throttle body. id also cut off the cooalnt ports unless you plan on running coolant lines all the way up to the throttle body.

i would recommend getting this throttle cable,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-1984-1...ash=item5d5f0bf870:g:p~MAAOSwLzdWRi6L&vxp=mtr
its the perfect length for a 7m ffim and is a direct bolt on to the factory pedal assembly

im not sure if i have any pictures, but i converted the ball/linkage to a cable type assebly on the throttle body itself.
i have no idea where i got the linkage, but im almost positive i was told its from a Japan spec 7mgte throttle body. i could be wrong there. ill try and dig up some pictures as an example

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
Tnice17;2069185 said:
Awesome. Thanks guys. I think the 110 will suit my needs just fine.

Paid mine $25. If you can't find one, I could sell you mine but don't know about shipping from France.

Tnice17;2069185 said:
Will also need to clean up the parts on the TB. Can I delete that air filter thing? From what I can see so far is that the pre 89 TB is good because I can adjust the idle screw....?

The air filter going is the dash pot. It allows little air to enter the engine for a few seconds when you let the throttle pedal of to help with the remaining combustion process. Removing it will help with bang/flame at exhaust when you let of [emoji2] but can hurt cat.

There is no such thing as an idle screw on a 7M, because idle is managed by the ECU with the IACV. It shouldn't be touched, and be aware to control/set the TPS.

Janch

Jul 23, 2012
Riga
Haven't you considered just opening front of intake manifold and weld TB there? one local guy did that, i don't know about performance though.

qw sad.JPG

Tnice17

May 26, 2014
CT
Rollus. - I will take pics of the inside for you.

Janch - yes I considered that. I personally don't like the oem shape lol, so that's what I want to go with the 4" tube.

The tube will match the opposite side of the engine bay for the 4" intake too :).

I want to try and cut off the oem flanges for the TB and idle valve. Don't need more than that right? Remember that I mainly want to start the car on the stock ECU, and once everything gets up and running I will proceed with the ms3 pro install.

Would like to drive around not in boost to make sure everything is sealed right and working mechanically before a big electrical project.

terrenceLP

Mar 22, 2011
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
What's crazy is the Yamaha helped developed this intake with sonic testing so cutting it up and stuff may loose flow base on how it was designed.

http://www.yamaha.com/news_release/2009/20091021.html

Although that is for the LFA - theor Music back ground applies to our cars as well as it was during the height of Yamaha F1.

Just build one from the runners with a piece of custom pipe - (not reading the few threads above in case it has been mentioned )

x2 I'll take one lol

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
That paint is soooo clean im jealous! Looks like you're making some very quick progress as well.
Turbo adapter and downpipe look nice.

I may have missed it but what are you doing for engine management?

Hopefully i'll be able to come down to some CT meets in the spring and check it out.

Tnice17

May 26, 2014
CT
Thanks guys!

I have a ms3pro that I will be wiring in after I get the engine mechanically done. Shooting for 350whp with a great street power band.

Progress is slow right now. I had to modify the oil drain because the 10an fittings would not fit with the compressor housing. The ID of a 10an fitting it actually pretty small imo, so I used the flanges, cut off the threaded part, now I'm welding on a 1/2" aluminum tube that will mate up with the block. The ID of the tube vs the 10an fitting is a significant difference so I HOPE this will help with turbo smoke issues.

If anyone is into fitness or lifting, I am also training for my first body building competition in April, so between meal prep, gym and work time - time management is key! Soup will get some needed attention this weekend.

Tnice17

May 26, 2014
CT
terrenceLP;2069885 said:
What's crazy is the Yamaha helped developed this intake with sonic testing so cutting it up and stuff may loose flow base on how it was designed.

http://www.yamaha.com/news_release/2009/20091021.html

Although that is for the LFA - theor Music back ground applies to our cars as well as it was during the height of Yamaha F1.

Just build one from the runners with a piece of custom pipe - (not reading the few threads above in case it has been mentioned )

x2 I'll take one lol

Interesting article! Thanks for sharing. I want to cut the manifold on that line and use a aluminum tube. The tough part will be to cut off the idle valve flange cleanly so I can reuse it.

Another reason for the FFIM is that the compressor of the holest is so big that IC pipe will be tight in that area. I feel that the RF area of the engine complement of the mk3 is just packed with everything. Personally It bugs me. Lol!

Kamicaiazzi

Feb 16, 2016
Boston
Looks great man. Both Supra and Subbie. I have a little RS coupe as well. Loved driving it and cant wait until I'm done boosting it >:)

Tnice17

May 26, 2014
CT
It's such a huge difference between the two cars. I'd road trip in the soup over the Impreza any day. I love how different they are because it makes me appreciate one car over another in different ways.

Almost done with the oil drain. Prob work on the alternator drop down after this. If I can get it done this weekend I'll be pumped!

323e9a013e3c418d1ff9cf03fde947a1.jpg
b43dc7e946fa97ac3f1eed34ba25d454.jpg

Tnice17

May 26, 2014
CT
IMG_4928.jpgIMG_4936.jpgIMG_4934.jpgIMG_5087.jpgHey Guys!

I have been leaving everyone hanging, sorry! Project is still on the way but was interrupted by my Impreza.

Was on the way home from work and the engine cut out while driving, fault never cleared for my EBCS and prevents a crank/no start. Towed it home. Found that some excessive blow by from the stock turbo and 12yr old engine shorted out my solenoid.

Instead of just replacing the solenoid and lines - it turned into a 2.5L forged piston, upgraded turbo build! I know the Subaru like the back of my hand, as you guys do with the Surpa so I knew it would be a quick build. New engine has about 50 miles on her, going for a tune on the 25th than another on the 9th of May.

Have some pics for everyone! Hoping for about 350awhp/tq

Soup has been cozy under a nice cover in my garage, excited to get working on her again in the next month!

Tnice17

May 26, 2014
CT
Started her up for the first time yesterday!

I have a 6psi waste gate spring in right now. Hoping to run that off the stock afm/440s and still fall below fuel cut, get an idea of how the new set up will be. That way i can also get some miles on her to see if any small issues arise before i turn up the boost.

Will be going with the DET3 over the Megaquirt for right now. Keep it simple.

Also picked up some JDM tail lights too, pump to see how they will look with the Burgundy and darker tint!

Holset2.jpg

Tnice17

May 26, 2014
CT
Last night was interesting and fun.

base spring pressure is 6psi with the EWG. The SCG-1 i have is a boost, a/f and boost controller all in one. I was able to use about 28-30% duty cycle and i can get up to 12psi in 3rd/4th/5th gear using the Lexus AFM and a 10.5 a/f :)

Anything higher then 12.5psi it starts to hit fuel cut and the CEL pops on. Car has a PS fluid leak from the pump, so i will be getting a new/Re-man pump.

Next will install the JDM tails. Probably leave it like this for a little bit and enjoy the car before i start the det3 install. Since the car has been down for a while i want to enjoy it again!