Tlo86's 2JZ Build Thread..

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
jugodegolf said:
Lots of good info here. You gonna be able to make tx2k8? Should be fun trip, course any trips fun when you got supra w/2jz.

no idea ive never been to one before but i guess we'll see heh

cruisnhard

SM Member
Sep 27, 2007
Waupun, Wisconsin
tlo86 said:
p811276_1.jpg

my harness is back!!!!
p811276_2.jpg

this is the only problem i have with it, i have no idea where this plug goes!! (the 2 dangleing wires are for the reverse for my M/T i had an auto harness so no plug :( )

Dr tweak did a pretty good job getting it wired up theres no doubt in my mind it will fire right up the first crank. other wires i need to wire in myself are
a/c clutch (not sure where this goes)
fuel pump switch (not sure either Lol)
the speed sensor for my ABS from my R154... now this i should have a plug for but i am just not sure =/ you can actually see it on the ground.

i took the p/s pump off and im getting ready for when i get my turbo stuff in~ still havent decided on what turbo to get :(

going to switch out the oil pressure sensor for the 7m one and use driftmotions adaptor, now is the perfect time i just need a spare 7m oil pressure sender =/

also have to program my tach digital signal converter which i dont have any idea how im going to do it hehe

edit: well the plug you see pictured is for my abs sensor! well talking to dr tweak about this because they obviously do not match ;)

so i guess 2 wires to go :)

edit again: connector was for auto harness :) i can fix that!

I just hooked a harness just like that on my 1990 supra 7m. It goes to the sensor or switch on top of the tranny.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
cruisnhard said:
I just hooked a harness just like that on my 1990 supra 7m. It goes to the sensor or switch on top of the tranny.

yeah i figured it out heh, what threw me off was i didnt recognize the plug from the a340e until after i posted that

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
jugodegolf said:
How close to firing that baby up?

eh not very close been very busy lately and i still need a turbo, manifold, every oil/cooler line and a wastegate... also my downpipe... and need to finish mounting the p/s resovoir and do those lines and the crank bolt i still need to get off heh... not soon =/ hopefulyl soon but not yet

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
i just wantedto point out that the 2jzgte oil filter location is FINE stock. i had no fitment issues. i was going to put in a relocation and now i doubt i'll do anything now. i actually found it easy to put in a oil filter in the stock location and it had plenty of clearance

(well i took shield from on top of the steering thing when i was putting in the bypass but i think i can put it back in w/ plenty of clearance)

i feel like im done with that part of my swap now Lol i just have to find banjo crush washers since now that ive been to every auto store in a 15mile radious that dont carry and im going to hardware stores.. if they dont have them toyota will.... for about 8$ each (hah!) then my fuel will be connected. have to put in fluid for clutch still i have the hydraulic system up...

remounting the p/s resovoil and connecting those lines.. also need to grind the p/s pump still... but i do have the high pressure hose in it fit really good... the hardline section goes under the oil pan and the 1jz oilpan had threaded holes so i just used brackets from my auto oil cooling system to hold it on (also padded the brackets)

and the whole turbo thing...

AJK

Oct 28, 2007
Calgary
What was the deal with your wiring? what's Dr. Tweak's policy? and how much was it, all said and done?

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
if you do relocate get a sandwich because a bypass wont work out well... will end up being harder than putting a stock filter on, i still believe it was really easy to put on.

dr tweak made my wiring i'd ask him about his policy. i think i paid 850 for the harness with a few new plugs and to have the tach signal converter wired in, sent him both harnesses took a couple of weeks and got it back.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
wow hey its been a while :) just got my cable from aaron ( sent me 2jzge on accident) 2jzgte fits like it was meant for the car, i adjusted the bolts (broke whatever loctite was holding the first bolt) and wow :) i need pictures...

bled the clutch too and took off the 2jz crank pulley bolt! this was a bitch... i dunno how imma tighten that bitch down... i stuck a crowbar in the inspection cover and had my friend hold it while i loosened the pulley and man it was on there good. now i can really get some work done.

whats left...

need turbo setup
need to connect heater hose
water pump
front main seal
timing belt
serp belt
if the pulleys are too small from driftmotion gotta get an oem one
torque cam gears
reinstall pulley
then its off to radiator stuff and intercooler stuff ocne i have turbo gear (can at least do the intake side and get my bov done)

edit
front seal done, timing belt done, water pump done, crank torqued

Last edited:

RaTyBaStArD

May 15, 2007
Oregon
I want your car!!!!:icon_bigg I just had one question; could you use the stock twins with this swap? Or is there clearance issues?

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
theres clearance issues with stock twins, especially if you have ABS. to get around this you can bend the lines a bit to make room, get rid of abs, or make new lines. you might also have to hammer back the firewall a bit. (the thing for your heater is right behind it, its designed to be on the other side for RHD cars)

i wouldve liked to stick with the stock twins but they are the aristo ones and all of the valves for the twin turbo system were broken :(

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
Getting a lot done. ordered a new intercooler from driftmotion, ordered the rest of the stuff to hook up my IC pipes to manifold and to the turbo. ordering the turbo which will be pretty mean.

all i can think of left is the radiator fan, oil, oil lines, wastegate....wideband a/f gauge would be nice.. tidying up the wiring... then in a couple of months will focus on fuel and body work :)

just wanted to throw out there as well... If you have that writing on your spark plug cover ( see my first pics) this is actually easy to get rid of i tried a lot of cleaners to get rid of it... and what works best is plastic scratch cleaner got rid of it and gave a shine to my spark plug cover :)

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
tlo86;872292 said:
Getting a lot done.

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

Where is more pics at ya jerk! :biglaugh:

O and this thread is NWS sorta, first page of pics nice garage calender :sarcasm:

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
D34DC311;877197 said:
Where is more pics at ya jerk! :biglaugh:

O and this thread is NWS sorta, first page of pics nice garage calender :sarcasm:

HAHA!! it came with the bike i swear ;)

ive made a lot of progress and i am going to take some pics tonight since ive been slacking.

one problem i ran into which i really do not want to run into again was stripped screws on the coil packs

http://www.twinsturbo.com/store.php?crn=218&rn=403&action=show_detail

an obvious solution since our 7m's had this joy with our valve covers! 10$ is worth the searching im too lazy to do so i expect to buy these soon.. and hopefully extract the stripped ones and never worry again ;p

p877479_1.jpg

manual....!!
p877479_2.jpg

yes its in son
p877479_3.jpg

ignitor
p877479_4.jpg

manifold and its fitment!
p877479_5.jpg

driftmotion pulley
p877479_6.jpg

you can see new waterpump, serp belt, did the timing belt as well as front seal, valve cover seals, seals for pump, mkiv turbo throttle cable, my BIC brackets and mounts, spark plugs, spark plug galley cover was cleaned (i skimped on the front as you can see), my power steering resovoir is a little ghetto rigged but im fixing it soon no worries :) it is a functioning system just need to clean up the brackets, brake master cyl vac on intake manifold, new vac lines all around, fuel all hooked up, wiring 99% done, might need a new pipe for upper rad ( had to cut it originally cause it was too long for 7m now its too short ), can see oil was leaking from turbo feed, still need to hook up evap system and catch can, waiting on turbo and lines to deal with the ones im not going to use, that rear turbo coolant return im going to stick a water temp sensor in ( exhaust will affect this temp reading but oh well nice to see temp anyway), you can see the 1jz oil pan, my heater hose looks a little ghetto i need to fix it somehow i spent an hour trying to get oem stuff to work and gave up just threw on a big hose, need a breather or to connect the isc hose to intake (you can see the pipe just hangs there), A/C is not functional and im not sure how im going to get it to work other than getting the 2jz's ac compressor top (maybe get the 1jz's?) clearance with the 7m's top was too much for any grinding to fix, new seals for the valve cover bolts (these are expensive heh)

have everything intercooler related ordered i just need to get the bov onto one of my pipes

need to order oil lines / water lines for my turbo... (and to get turbo in the mail:))

need to finish wiring (mainly to the battery, fuel pump switch, and alternator)

if intake pipe is long enough get some fittings mounted for stuff that needs to be there (evap, isv)

get oil... (prolly mobil 1)

refill radiator

figure out my deck situation (might go back to tundra deck scion wont function right with a manual)

then i can start this bitch.

Last edited:

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
i got my Intercooler in the mail from driftmotion and i must say i do like it

now what clutch am i going to get?....

i found a couple i thought might do me good

http://www.suprasport.com/South-Bend-DXD-F-Track-Series-Clutch-Kit_p_72-477.html
(the G6)
or

http://www.suprasport.com/ACT-7MGTE-Clutch-Kits_p_72-163.html

tell me what you think

might wait a while before i crank the boost i will prolly keep it around stock power output since i dont really want to change the clutch when its -10 outside and although i have a garage heater the ground is freezing cold and doesnt heat up =X

and i can slowly up the horsepower to my goal of 550 should be done by the spring.. id like to really work on the suspension next so i can get some track time

Last edited:

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
getting ready to order some new stuff....

Might go with greddy Emanage Blue or ultimate im not sure yet... probably emanage blue because i just need fuel control to work with larger injectors i want to throw in (prolly 680's or something)

Might do a wideband AEM gauge w/ wideband sensor

ACT clutch or southbend....

going to look around a bit more maybe i can find some of the electric features integrated into 1 unit lol

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
$1500 spent today now lets see the rest of my parts already! :p dr tweak helped me with the alternator wiring (coldnt find the aristo wiring diagram only the mkiv's and the colors were different and since the plug was cut it was ultra poopy to boot.

i bought little stuff... importantly my wastegate from mvp, and fan + clutch new from toyota, some new ground wires from suprasport (lipp). and my intake stuff

what i need to do next besides putting all of these parts on... is the alternator wire, the alternator plug wiring, the coolant line for the rear turbo i am going to stick a temp sensor in (mainly for a plug :p), weld my BoV to a pipe to complete my cold side IC pipes... finish wiring my fuel pump switch,...order my turbo lines... connect the battery put some oil in it, coolant, install turbo and the stuff i ordered... and fire this bitch up. ( i think )

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
The day is coming closer and closer, i am on my last part before i cant do anything else until my parts arrived. I routed the IC pipes for the turbo (even though my turbo hasn't come in yet) i wired the alternator and the big wire. i wired the o2 sensors and have coverings, routed my AEM Wideband, half way done with my fuel pump switch ... but after that switch is in i just put my interior together do my turbo thang and start it...