Tires

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Nitto NT05. Probably the stickiest tire for the price, and while they're not gonna last forever... they're cheap enough that you probably won't mind. 200 treadwear, AA grip, A temp, good tires all around, I'm itching to put on my set, but gonna wait until middle of May I think. Stupid snow.

Another I've considered is the Dunlop Direzza Star Spec tires, but they don't offer 275/40/17's unfortunately, and I won't go skinnier for a summer tire.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
I just put a pair of Continential DWS on my car and i have to say there simply fantastic. I know there an all season, but they do make the DW summer tire that im sure is just as awesome of a tire.

Higher treadwear rating then the bridgestone and higher ranking in its catagory. If the DW rides as good as my DWS (im sure it does from the review) i would go with them.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
te72;1699989 said:
Another I've considered is the Dunlop Direzza Star Spec tires, but they don't offer 275/40/17's unfortunately, and I won't go skinnier for a summer tire.

I went with the Dunlop, funny you should say that. Their rating is 340, which means it lasts 3.4 times longer than a Dunlop track tire. Continental was interesting. They are not OEM on exotics because they suck. They have to work, and I was thinking they might be quiet. But the Dunlop was priced really well, and I know they make good tires. Unlike say, BFG before Michelin.

And I still have the stock 16 x 7 5 star wheels. I do plan on running the MKIV fronts all the way around. At some point.

Bud2weiser3

Nov 23, 2010
NY
any one know about yokohama S drive tires? eather those or Dunlope Dezressa are my 2 best tire for buck options? welcome ideas tho

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Nosechunks;1700313 said:
How can you say Continental tires suck when there number one in there category?

I didn't. You misunderstood because I wrote the statement with poor structure. They are common OEM on many exotics. Therefore, they can't suck. That is what I should have said.

Bud2weiser3;1700319 said:
any one know about yokohama S drive tires?

Soft compound = good grip = short life

That has been my experience with Yokohama. And that isn't their track tires, but everyday stuff. I saw a set wear on a Cressida driven by a guy with white hair, wear like the NSX.

Here is the one I went with. I will be putting 2000 miles on the at the beginning of May.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...VR6DZ101&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Nosechunks;1700313 said:
How can you say Continental tires suck when there number one in there category? Have you ever used them?

Generally speaking though, Conti's aren't really all that favorable. Aside from the DW and DWS, look at some of their other reviews, they're nearly abysmal. :(

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Well I've seen a lot of people unhappy with Goodyears, and I've had great experiences with them... Maybe it's just the cheaper tires that have these complaints?

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
I love my Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires! I can say that through rain and snow the performance has been stellar. The aggressive thread pattern is nice, too. I couldn't be happier with them.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
te72;1701392 said:
Well I've seen a lot of people unhappy with Goodyears, and I've had great experiences with them... Maybe it's just the cheaper tires that have these complaints?

I bought a set of Goodyear Eagle F1's thinking they would be great tires. At seventy or eighty miles an hour, I can floor my car and get sideways......I can't outrun a Honda Accord with them things. I ended up going with MT ET streets. They work great, but I got caught out in the rain with them one day and wrecked my car. Now I don't drive it if there's rain forecasted for bordering states........lol

How much power are you guys making that are running street tires succesfully? I'd like to have something I could drive in the rain, but I want it to have really good traction as well. The cost doesn't really matter as long as it does what it's suppose to. Thanks.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
My ET Street Radials are almost bald and there still not to bad in the rain. Its noticeably worse, (obviously, the ground is wet) but not to the point of danger IMO. Its not even bad around turns, then only spin at 8+psi at lower speeds in first and second.

I dont think i would ever run a regular street tire in the rear ever again.

Im making 400+ to the wheel.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
suprahero;1701606 said:
I bought a set of Goodyear Eagle F1's thinking they would be great tires. At seventy or eighty miles an hour, I can floor my car and get sideways......I can't outrun a Honda Accord with them things. I ended up going with MT ET streets. They work great, but I got caught out in the rain with them one day and wrecked my car. Now I don't drive it if there's rain forecasted for bordering states........lol

How much power are you guys making that are running street tires succesfully? I'd like to have something I could drive in the rain, but I want it to have really good traction as well. The cost doesn't really matter as long as it does what it's suppose to. Thanks.

You're making a great deal more than me, aren't you over 5xx whp by now? I'm laying anywhere from 320-350whp down, and rain, snow, or shine, I drive my car. My car only makes maybe 100hp when the ground is wet because I have learned to be delicate with the throttle... Not trying to give you too much crap, but my honest recommendation for a good street tire that handles wet just as well as dry would be the GY Eagle F1 GS-D3. They make them up to 315's in a 17", but your wallet isn't gonna like it. ;)

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
suprahero;1701606 said:

R compound tires help a lot towards this... as long as the road surface and the tires are reasonably warm and smooth, I can keep third gear planted at 570hp. And they corner like nothing else, drag radials aren't in the same class. Last summer I ran a set of Kumho V.70s, they were unbelievable.

However, they last a season at best, so they are out of consideration for the OP.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I like the Dunlop. I think they are an underrated tire manufacturer. They are rather quiet for being sticky. To be fair, the H rated all seasons on it were garbage. I knew it 6 years ago when I bought the car. I just never got around to dumping them. I didn't want to drive to Vegas and back on them. Response from the wheel is noticably quicker. I won't find its limits, I don't drive this car like that.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Nosechunks;1701688 said:
My ET Street Radials are almost bald and there still not to bad in the rain. Its noticeably worse, (obviously, the ground is wet) but not to the point of danger IMO. Its not even bad around turns, then only spin at 8+psi at lower speeds in first and second.

I dont think i would ever run a regular street tire in the rear ever again.

Im making 400+ to the wheel.

You'd better be careful. I was only doing 30 mph on a straight away. I was in third gear barely cruising with bumper to bumper traffic and the next thing I know the ass end of my car was passing the front. I didn't goose it or anything, it just came around. I ended up totaling a Cavalier. I don't think they are made to be driven in the rain.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Im very careful at all times. I like to test my cars limits when ever i can (when as safe as possible) so i know how the car will respond.

My car is automatic so i think it will get better traction pretty much at all times. The converter slip helps tons for traction.

Like i said itll only spin in first, maybe second unless i am in the throttle WAY too hard. At that point i would have to be trying to spin.

I will say that when they do spin, its.....interesting to say the least. Not something i want to happen unexpectedly.