Tips for installing coilovers?

--Wolf--

May 8, 2009
Chch, New Zealand
Finally got a set of Tein Super Streets for my 86.5. I've installed coilovers on a couple of Nissans before but never a Toyota let alone our cars. Was just wondering if there's anything majorly different that I need to know about about the coilovers or our cars in terms of swapping out the factory suspension and installing the new. And tips/tricks? Thanks

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
It's pretty basic, except for the front passenger side, where there is this big ass bolt AND a stinking windshield washer reservoir, which will make you miserable for a while.

When I put in mine, I was done in ~6 hours, changing all 4 corners. About 3 hours of that was the front passenger, though, so be ready for some frustration there.

SupraRzTT

Jun 14, 2009
BC
Should take less then 2 hours. For the front passenger side bolt grimjack is talking about, i just grabed it with some vice grips and wacked it to the end, same thing for reinstalling.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
GrimJack;1578693 said:
It's pretty basic, except for the front passenger side, where there is this big ass bolt AND a stinking windshield washer reservoir, which will make you miserable for a while.

When I put in mine, I was done in ~6 hours, changing all 4 corners. About 3 hours of that was the front passenger, though, so be ready for some frustration there.

LOL, I remember when I did mine the first time, it was funny as hell. 2nd time was simple...damn windshield reservoir

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
Yup. That Front passenger side is a PITA. Maybe tackle that first and get it out of the way. Then you'll fly through the rest.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
If you have a TEMS car, I think the worst part is taking out the hatch, interior pieces.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Lower rear mount has a slide on it that when you tighten the bolt, slides over tight up against the metal insert in the bottom bushing of the dampener. Do NOT grind it, just tap it open a bit.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
If your kit comes with Pillow Ball mounts it makes it super easy because then you dont have to take the struts apart.

Taking the struts apart means you need spring compressors.

Alot of the cheaper coilovers dont come with them. I dont remember if that tein series comes with them.

Oh and enjoy making you supra into a car instead of 4 X 4

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE;1578979 said:
Alot of the cheaper coilovers dont come with them. I dont remember if that tein series comes with them.

I'm pretty sure the Teins don't.

So my 2 cents would be to get new uppers ahead of time. The old ones are probably shot anyways and it will save you tons of time having to deal with compressing the springs.

--Wolf--

May 8, 2009
Chch, New Zealand
Got it done today. 4 people, 5 hours (including getting food, beer, spring compressors and screwing round)

The window washer reservoir was definitely a pain (although it was on the drivers side, JDM car) but being a TEMS car, taking apart the interior in the hatch was such a pain, putting it back will be even worse.

Had problems on the rear sliding the bottom of the coilovers in, looked like the bushings had been replaced as they stuck out a bit but got it in.

Didn't realize they weren't fully height adjustable, set them to what the manual said and they sit pretty low, but could probably go lower. Minus the guard rub though which is pretty bad.

Oh and the first test drive where the rear left strut started coming loose at the top plate was a bit scary too but is all tightened now. Will get pics up when I get a chance. Cheers guys.

--Wolf--

May 8, 2009
Chch, New Zealand
Pictures as promised...(still needs to go lower)

Attachments

• 101_1381..jpg
    101_1381..jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 101_1377..jpg
    101_1377..jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 101_1387..jpg
    101_1387..jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 101_1384..jpg
    101_1384..jpg