time to mod my car,need your input

stock 87 turbo

whats broke now?
Sep 3, 2005
marshall,wis
i am getting ready to pull the motor and tranny after 118k and now having a bhg.i have purchased alot of new and used parts on sf and i am trying to have everythingready once the drivetrain is out. i am looking to get around 400hp when i am done.here is a list of the things i have purchased and plan to do;new rings,bearings, and complete trd gasket and sealkit[i dont want any leaks] have the head cleaned,leak tested with new seals put in,hard pipes,defcon down pipe with blitz nur spec catbak exhaust,lucas 550s,lex afm,k&n filter,oil filter reloction kit,aeromotive afpr,safc2,wideband and oil,temp and boost gauges.for now i am going either use my stock turbo for now or look a 58 trim sp turbo if i can get the cash. the car has mkiv tt rims ,89 tails and i just bought a 3 pc wing and 89 bumper.i havent decided on which bov to use yet and i need to buy the gauges yet if anybody has some to sell,pm me.is there anything else i need to hit 400hp?

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
youll never make it anywhere close to 400 on the stock turbo...and a 57 trim will be running out of breath pretty close to it....

if youre gonna rebuild do it right...resurface the head not just clean it, deck the block, and get a cometic gasket and throw that trd shit away....

outside of that with a better turbo you are close to getting where you want to get safely....

stock 87 turbo

whats broke now?
Sep 3, 2005
marshall,wis
i have the cometic hg already to go.i planned on having th head planed.my son has an upgaded ct26 60/1 trim that needs a rebuild.should i fix that one for now or buy a good quality one from sound performance ?tim does excellent work down there i here.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Depends on how you drive. People have been known to run the 60/62-1 turbos for a good long time with no issues - however, I think these people are the ones that drive mildly most of the time, and only push hard when some moron begs us to whip them.

Many folks who drive hard all the time have blown up these in relatively short order - as in, under a year.

If you drive hard, I'd suggest dropping the coinage on the SP58.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
GrimJack said:
Depends on how you drive. People have been known to run the 60/62-1 turbos for a good long time with no issues - however, I think these people are the ones that drive mildly most of the time, and only push hard when some moron begs us to whip them.

Many folks who drive hard all the time have blown up these in relatively short order - as in, under a year.

If you drive hard, I'd suggest dropping the coinage on the SP58.

eh....i beat the living shit out of my car and my 60-1 upgrade lasted over two years and over 20k miles....and i couldnt ask more from it....

i think its mainly where you get it upgraded...how its installed...and thats its PRIMED before starting the car etc....A LOT of people dont prime their turbos before starting the car and it will cause instant failure or a problem that will cause failure down the road in short time....

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Some stuff I think there are holes in.

-your fuel system, you have to have a high volume pump. You're going to need to do some small other stuff like block off the J-tube restriction as well.

As far as setting up for bigger injectors and a better fuel system I can see no reason to not go with a MAFT pro. There is just no way that the AFC lex/550 jobber can beat it that i can forsee. I think I'm converted to it as well; and I already have a lex afm waiting to go in, plans have changed...

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Idealsupra said:
eh....i beat the living shit out of my car and my 60-1 upgrade lasted over two years and over 20k miles....and i couldnt ask more from it....

i think its mainly where you get it upgraded...how its installed...and thats its PRIMED before starting the car etc....A LOT of people dont prime their turbos before starting the car and it will cause instant failure or a problem that will cause failure down the road in short time....
How exactly do you prime a turbo? I have never heard someone say that before.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
hks ssqv or tial, from what i've read.

and i primed my turbo by pulling the EFI fuse and cranking it over until i saw the oil pressure gauge start to bounce a bit. then i cranked it some more because i'm terrified of killing my turbo.

-shaeff