Thought I would share my newly inheirited car.....

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I thought I would just drop in say hello and share my new recieved car from my great aunt Jenny.

It is rough, this is no lie, but kinda a neat project. I apparently parked it in this barn when I was just 6 years old. So I was the last one to drive it.

image (1).jpegimage (4).jpegphoto (84).JPG

My father got the better end of this car thing though. He got a 1956 Mercury Meteor with 11,000 original miles on it that has been stored in a heated garage on jacks that my Great Grand father bought just before passing away.

Scariest thing to me was that it fired right up after sitting for 40 some years. We oiled the cylinders, changed all the fluids and put some air in the tires. We did not however drive it because I speculated the brake shoes might not hold after so long of not being used. The one thing I think is going to be a problem however is that the spark plugs from it are unlike anything I have seen before. They are freaking huge! I have never seen anything like them before. So buying new ones may be a challenge. Anything else we should check on this car before driving. Although the snow will fly any day now here so we definitely will not be driving it this year.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
BoostMonger;1969663 said:
Oh dang it! I'm 22, close enough :rolleyes:

Sent From My HTC One S using Tapatalk 2
LMAO it's NOT an Icecream ;)

Would love to make one of these into a Sleeper, all modern running gear would be a blast!
(that Gif is retarded and annoying)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
IJ.;1969665 said:
LMAO it's NOT an Icecream ;)

Would love to make one of these into a Sleeper, all modern running gear would be a blast!
(that Gif is retarded and annoying)
Three things:
1.) It might be an ice cream, has flateric tried licking it yet?
2.) Might be tough fitting anything bigger than an I4 in there, if I recall they are quite small. Although... F20C Honda engine... Hmm...
3.) You think the gif is retarded and annoying, wait until you meet the screen name in person. ;)

Poodles;1969674 said:
What year is it? I'm sure plugs are still available :)
If Poodles here can't find them, surely Rock Auto could help. :)

1986.5supra_kid

Rice? No its Corn (E85)
the plugs in the 238ci chevy my roomate has are honking compared to what i know as well. it was a fun project to get running after sitting in a field since his mom graduated. it look lots of kroil and patience to break free the motor. only one cyl was low after we messed with it for a while setting valves and what not. absolutley gutless motor and sounds like farm equitment but it draws attention when cruising around, now we play the waiting game for it to die.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
MDCmotorsports;1970599 said:
just fyi.... the bodies are spot welded to the frame in about 11 million places.

They didn't have the kindness to bolt the body on.
Boy, that just sounds like a barrel of laughs there man... I presume that was for chassis stiffness reasons? Or were these still body-on-frame, and just attached in the most pain in the butt way possible?

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
te72;1975443 said:
Boy, that just sounds like a barrel of laughs there man... I presume that was for chassis stiffness reasons? Or were these still body-on-frame, and just attached in the most pain in the butt way possible?

British reasons. These were built with the Morris Minor company. Same engine as the old Mini.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
That answers things completely man. For all the brilliance when it comes to automotive engineering located in that country, they sure do some strange crap when it comes to their production cars...