This is why you don't use AU green coolant in your 7M

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
Yah that seems a little excessive.

Whats in the green or lack off that causes this? I got green in my car right now...Prestone:icon_roll

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
IJ.;1358562 said:
Whatever the Generic Green formulation is here it does a number on Cast Iron for sure, I had quite pronounced pitting on the deck of my 4000 Km old block using it, changed to Toyota red and it went 30,000+ Km's and looks like the day I bolted it back together.

Crypton2006;1358682 said:
Green coolant is not going to destroy your moter..Its just not as good as Toyota red. I dont think it can do that to your moter in a few days....If it did you would not have a impeller at all in a few months..And last i checked most people do not spend the time or money to go to toyota to get there coolant and its not a problem.

How do you explain the above then?

The Block I used was BRAND NEW from Toyota not some 20 year old shit fighter from a junkyard....

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
http://www.aa1car.com/library/2004/us120426.htm

READ for those who are running brass/copper heater cores and radiators. There is also one thing that worries me, is that this OAT (organic acid tech) eats through paper with time. There is a problem ( alot of GM's with Dex-cool) having car problems tracing back to the OAT coolant chewing up intake manni gaskets. As I know our MK3's come with a small port in the left lower intake manni that is a coolant passage. This can lead to some concern right?

http://www.allbusiness.com/manufacturing/transportation-equipment-mfg-automotive/5246501-1.html
As felpro has the solution to the manufactures mistakes.... I don't think taking the risk in using an OAT based antifreeze be worth your short liffe span of the graphite HG or paper intake manifold gasket.

I know alot of owners has have good results with Toyota's anitfreeze but take caution and know what you are doing. Also the net provides many answers.. use search engines. As of now I'm staying green.

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
LilMissMkIII;1358595 said:
I ordered the pump for them and had it delivered to shop, I know 100% that the one I ordered was used, however what I didn't know was that it wasn't an OEM piece.

Not a HUGE deal, as the car hasn't been driven, thanks to all the other fuckups they made whilst they had my car, but just wanted to get peoples' thoughts on it before one of the pumps goes back in :)

How can you order a used pump? And how would you know they didn't put that pump in there as it is? Maybe typos? A little Excessive as the car didn't even ran?

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
IJ.;1358864 said:
Bolded the part that people seem to be missing.... we're NOT talking ALL Green coolant just the local stuff here (here = Australia)... :nono:

Can we get name brands of these spoken "green" coolants causing this problem? I'm really just curious, and not concerned that my engine/components are being destroyed. I use distilled water, and I think "tap" water is more likely the root cause of these problems.

Altough IJ, I doubt you use tap water...

But can anyone answer what is in the "red" coolant that isn't in the "green" coolant?

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Looks familiar. ;)

2dwb69h.jpg

Try to order a Aisin Waterpump. :)

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
Thanks for the clarification of my posts (and the thread title change) Ian :)

Hmong - The car was run on a dyno for 5 hours or so, it never saw the road as the shop blew the hg thanks to all their other mistakes.

So - vote is to not use my pump, but the other one we have?

BLACKCAT

May 24, 2007
BHG
Yes unfortunately another story of most mechanics popular saying "close enough is good enough" or "its all the same stuff just has a different label" when working on another persons car.
I dont trust ANYONE, regardless of their reputation, & always try to check as much as possible for work done that I cannot perform.

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51166

^^^ MY waterpump swap!;) (Well... ONE of them, anyway!)

I show some pics in there of the AISIN pump, and discuss impellers, etc...

ALSO!

...here are a couple of my CURRENT T-stat neck condition, and my opinion of TOYOTA RED coolant...

:thumbup:

p1358943_1.jpg

p1358943_2.jpg

^^^ No doubt, using distilled water, and ESPECIALLY avoiding WELL water, is key with ANY coolant, but the Toyota RED is superior by design in my opinion. I can't cite specifics, but my understanding is there is a lubricating property which is necessary for the water pump. Can someone else confirm?

At any rate, I'm pleased with how my "innards" have held up in both these shots, AND the shots with the LIMEY stuff in my link.;) (I changed it out quickly after that, but it had done no "harm" in the meantime. I believe I was using PRESTONE, but always otherwise use TOYOTA RED.:biglaugh:

Sounds like you have some pretty "aggressive" stuff down there in Australia!:icon_surp

-crisp

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
BLACKCAT;1358912 said:
Yes unfortunately another story of most mechanics popular saying "close enough is good enough" or "its all the same stuff just has a different label" when working on another persons car.
I dont trust ANYONE, regardless of their reputation, & always try to check as much as possible for work done that I cannot perform.

She aint a piano;)

But seriously, I think I'll be switching to Yoda red...better safe than sorry.

AndyMac

Mar 9, 2009
Canberra Australia
LilMissMkIII;1358901 said:
Thanks for the clarification of my posts (and the thread title change) Ian :)

Hmong - The car was run on a dyno for 5 hours or so, it never saw the road as the shop blew the hg thanks to all their other mistakes.

So - vote is to not use my pump, but the other one we have?

when did all this happen?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
dumbo;1359084 said:
But seriously, I think I'll be switching to Yoda red...better safe than sorry.

Zyrex G05 is an excellent choice as well...better than Toyota Red IMO.

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
Remember not intended for those with brass radiators or heatercore. I used the zyrex stuff with distilled water. I have a GMB waterpump... impeller is metal. Sorry for many inconvenience. Looks like the shop has the run around you.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Something I clued in on here is to NOT use well water. That's what's in my ride now. Along with SuperTech Green.

Gotta love Walmart's finest!! :biglaugh:

Will be getting rid of the well water and switching to distilled ASAP!

Thanks for the great thread everyone! :)