This Is Why A JZ Manifold Cannot Be Used On A 7M

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
Nick M;1811886 said:
Another that knows just enough to get himself into trouble. The air is moving not static, and the turbocharger has a heat shield.

I noticed heat issues when I had the stock intake manifold with metal hardpipes. This was driving around in traffic though, not racing.

Nick M;1811886 said:
And how much stuff did you take off the car that Toyota put there but didn't really need?

A bunch of stuff. I run a standalone, and there are no emissions regs here. I've also changed ignition setups, fueling, etc, but kept things like the PCV system, etc. I've modified the car for my goals, just like every member here does.

Nick M;1811886 said:
You would have a leg to stand on if you knew what you were talking about. There is one benefit, the shorter intercooler pipes. And that was done because the JZ is a gutless wonder down low. If the plenum is bigger and the runners bigger in diameter and shorter in length, then you would have a case. But that isn't the case. You are making the case for front facing, not an improved manifold. By the way, the fastest drag car in the US uses the stock manifold. Ported I would guess.

I'm not arguing that the stock intake manifold is garbage, I'm stating I think that overall, the engine can be improved on. I would assume that when switching to FFIM you would optimize the design to suit your goals, ie plenum volume, runner diameter/length, throttle body size, etc. Who is the fastest drag car in the US right now? I looked at the 1/4 mile time sticky, but I don't know if that's up to date.

Nick M;1811886 said:
Hey I got an idea. Take the man hours you spent changing over, then see if my taking 30 minutes to change plugs every 2 years is the same.

I thought my statement about that would obviously a joke, apparently not, my bad

nofx230

Jan 24, 2012
Colorado
so does running the ffim setup allow for a bigger intercooler setup due to the ease of pipe routing? or are kits like the drift motion IC kit and HKS IC kit about the biggest usable intercooler you can stick in there? just wondering because my buddies SRT-4 has and aftermarket IC and its like twice the size of the mk3 supra's. Is there a point where big is just too big for Intercoolers?

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
Well think of your charge system like a plastic bag. The bigger the bag the more air it takes to fill it to target pressure. But they fill pretty damn quick so the difference in spool time is minimal based on intercooler size.

nofx230

Jan 24, 2012
Colorado
yeah that makes sense, are there any bigger intercooler kits other than the drift motion or HKS kits or would i be better off piecing together my own set up? how much bigger can you go on intercoolers in our mk3's

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
You can go as big as you want to cut your car for, but the 3 inch DM cooler is going to be plenty. If you're really worried about your IAT's then you should consider meth or E85.

nofx230

Jan 24, 2012
Colorado
Mr Bojangles;1812124 said:
You can go as big as you want to cut your car for, but the 3 inch DM cooler is going to be plenty. If you're really worried about your IAT's then you should consider meth or E85.

not really worried just curious, because iv always seen hondas and subarus with intercoolers the size of football fields and wondered why not many people with mk3's run big honking IC's

nofx230

Jan 24, 2012
Colorado
yeah i kinda like that idea I'm modding and fixing up a car that wasn't per say mass produced think in 91 they only made a lil over 3000 supras

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
And here's how you make it fit without having to weld the runners up. Made this adapter by hand back in the day when my time was worth a lot less.
p1859303_1.jpg

p1859303_2.jpg

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
I thought about having someone make me a adapter to run one. But then decided it was prob best just to go with a Sleeper designs FFIM but i don't want to get rid of the EGR or ISC

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Seth's manifolds can be made to keep isc.

Also going standalone can eliminate the need for both of those.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
hvyman;1859393 said:
Seth's manifolds can be made to keep isc.

Also going standalone can eliminate the need for both of those.

Unfortunately a standalone/ffim are a pretty penny so I think I would try and ask him to some how get the egr to work for me.