This is my last question for today. Promise...

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
I'm down to prepping the deck of the block. I'm going to install an HKS MHG. Are there any recommendations on how to prepare the block.

How should I get the old gasket off the block?
Should I scrape off the big chunks of old gasket and then use a die grinder with surface preperation discs? Ultra Fine of course.
When installing the MHG, should I use copper spray to fill the slight divits in the block?
Or...should I just take it to a machine shop to have the deck re-surfaced?

Not necessarily looking for the right or wrong answer, just suggestions and experiences you may want to share.

Thanks,
-Kenny

robbo185

Apr 6, 2005
Chicago
dont forget to do the head!
do not use copper spray!!!!!
it would probobly be easier imo to have a machine shop do it.

89tMike

She’s getting there
Jun 23, 2007
Tampa Florida
I took my block to a shop that did not know anythig about ra values (at the time neither did I) so now its at another shop, hopefully the last one!

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
No copper spray is necessary on a MHG. Scrape off the old gasket and use ultra fine prep disks to remove the rest. If it has major surface imperfections it may need to be done at a shop for perfect ra. Finding a shop that knows WTF your talking about...thats a whole nother problem.:3d_frown:

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Ok. I think I'll steer clear of the copper spray.

As far as the block goes, have y'all heard any horror stories regarding self prepping? Meaning, is the ratio to BHG's higher in self prepped blocks versus machine shop prepping?

My head will be finished today (hopefully). Valve stem seals and a little casting flash removal, then ready to go!

I miss eating up 5.0's!!!!

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
jetjock said:
An article some may find interesting for whatever reason. I make no judgment about it's accuracy other than noting the comment about EGR :

http://tinyurl.com/2d636v

Nice link. Good info. I think I'll try a little scraping and a little surface disc work. Then check for low spots.

Man I don't want to screw this up!!!!!

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Let me just reiterate a suggestion.

If you have the block out of the car already, just take it to a shop. Prepping the surface yourself will take quite some time. In the end, you are still going to know it could have been done better by a machine shop.

It does not cost that much and the peace of mind is worth it. Just the time you'll save from not scraping the old gasket off will make it worth it. They will also be able to check specs much better than you.

Just a suggestion from someone who has been down this road before.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Yes, the block is out and stripped.

I sort of live in the sticks so finding a machine shop to do the job right might be tough. I'm not sure what would be worse, me screwing it up, or some tard at machine shop. Probably the tard at the shop! :biglaugh:

What if I can't find a shop with CBN Cutters? Is there an alternative...what other questions should I ask a perspective shop to ensure proper work?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
The HKS Gaskets are the fussiest for surface smoothness so there aren't a lot of alternatives for the prep work if you want it to seal.

You could get it all surfaced with normal cutters then hand lap it.