The Ultimate Fat Car!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
It's no secret that I lust after the Veyron, here's some great vid of it and why it's so special!

[video=youtube;j6cyk9mQWM4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6cyk9mQWM4&feature=player_embedded[/video]

[video=youtube;KhDtFQU3ZFc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhDtFQU3ZFc&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;8bUwwxZOcnE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bUwwxZOcnE&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;C8rGSafyC_g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8rGSafyC_g&feature=related[/video]

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Just watched it all. :drool: What a piece of machinery!

Even the floor in the building it's assembled in is wicked, with those plates that shift to let the car slide together! There isn't a single thing uncool about this car's build process!

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
Love that car. Watched a show on it not to long ago. Kind of replaces the Zonda on the #1 car wish list. Still can't get over the guy in Florida that put one in a lake while talking on a cell phone!

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Have you guys heard of the SSC Ultimate Aero TT? 6.3L pushrod V8, MR, RWD, 1183bhp 1094ftlbs tq twin turbo, 6 speed manual, 7200 rpm redline. Windtunnel testing and gear ratios show that it can do 273 mph, but they've only done 254mph (still faster than veyron's record attempt). $620,000 (depending where you live). Can you tell that that this is the car I lust for? What if I told you that that's all from memory...from the '07 model? I hear the new one's faster.

Jay Leno's review (video):
http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/2008-ssc-ultimate-aero-/275184/

They mentioned the car on Top Gear, but they didn't have it in person, and they just made fun of it :(.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
shaeff;1580646 said:
Just watched it all. :drool: What a piece of machinery!

Even the floor in the building it's assembled in is wicked, with those plates that shift to let the car slide together! There isn't a single thing uncool about this car's build process!
<nodding> :drool:

SWD Fredester 3;1580651 said:
Love that car. Watched a show on it not to long ago. Kind of replaces the Zonda on the #1 car wish list. Still can't get over the guy in Florida that put one in a lake while talking on a cell phone!
Probably due for new tires and couldn't afford the up keep ;)

A. Jay;1580657 said:
Have you guys heard of the SSC Ultimate Aero TT? 6.3L pushrod V8, MR, RWD, 1183bhp 1094ftlbs tq twin turbo, 6 speed manual, 7200 rpm redline. Windtunnel testing and gear ratios show that it can do 273 mph, but they've only done 254mph (still faster than veyron's record attempt). $620,000 (depending where you live). Can you tell that that this is the car I lust for? What if I told you that that's all from memory...from the '07 model? I hear the new one's faster.

They mentioned the car on Top Gear, but they didn't have it in person, and they just made fun of it :(.
Not being a prick or anything but who cares?

The Veyron will do everything well whereas the SSC is more a road registered race car, you can't compare the 2..

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Yea I probably shoulda watched the vids first lol. It also wasn't fair to ask you guys to watch a vid if I didn't. Sorry! It's because... it doesn't really matter, I watched them now.

Holy crap, my jaw dropped when they showed the radiators, transmission, wing, and the floor of the final assembly plant! The set of $17k hand-made tires is pretty cool, too.

I still like the Aero TT, but the Veyron is all of a sudden a much better value lol.

Edit:
IJ.;1580702 said:
<nodding> :drool:

Probably due for new tires and couldn't afford the up keep ;)

Not being a prick or anything but who cares?

The Veyron will do everything well whereas the SSC is more a road registered race car, you can't compare the 2..

True.

89nasupra

Sugar, Water, Purple
Apr 8, 2008
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
SWD Fredester 3;1580651 said:

it was in texas not florida. and he got another one. it is a bad ass machine for sure Ian.

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
IJ.;1580710 said:
It's the Concorde of Cars :)

You mean this?

Chrysler-Concorde.jpg

Kidding. The veyron's an amazing machine.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
i never knew the Veyron is that amazing.
Everything from the billet aluminum pistons, titanium connecting rods, double clutch system in the trans.

Bugatti Veyron: You'll say WOW every time!

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
A. Jay;1580657 said:

:aigo:

HOLY CRAP!

Oh my god, they made something faster than the Vyron, I don't beleive it.

:biglaugh:

Seriously though:

http://wot.motortrend.com/6541612/t...-finally-debut-at-2010-geneva-show/index.html

Wow, so people can monkey together 1k+hp cars and make them go fast, whupity do. I do recall there's a 6 speed Supra that's done +250MPH at the Texas Mile. The point is that the SSC has a PUSHROD V8 with two enormous turbos, and some antiquated 6 speed manual. No traction control, no abs, nothing but an engine, seat, and steering wheel. Probably be wise to have a plastic bag on the driver's seat too. The SSC. specifically, is a sledge hammer to the Vyron's laser scalpel. Not to be a dick, and I have the utmost respect for the guys who build cars like the SSC, but any monkey can take a big block and put down a thousand horsepower if they have enough money. No traction control or ABS is very purist, but with 1200 or more horsepower, that's not going to be FUN to drive, it'll be shit your pants scary or tiring, with little in between. Of course, one can also look at the lack of electronic controls as simply falling short of a bar that is far too high.

And pushrods anyway? What the hell?

People who drive big turbo cars know what the driving characteristics of those turbos are; the SSC is shy of 1200hp out of 6.3L... that'll probably be somewhat like a 700+hp 2JZ to drive. Power on... power off... power on... power off... OH SHIT WHEEL SPIN AT 150MPH! OH GOD! Yeah, it's badass, but very very few people who have that kind of power daily drive their Supra there for alot of reasons. Those that do are just hardcore. I say this because if the Areo doesn't have traction control or ABS, it is a safe assumption to presume the turbos are simply slung on each side of the engine in the simplest and most durable fashion possible... with little regard for drivability and highest regard for overall power and top speed... the aim and intent of the SSC Aero.

The Vyron was/is, in my opinion, a marvel of engineering so that you could have 1001hp, drive it like an economy car around town into parking lots and over speed bumps, run up to 250MPH, lap a track, drive home in the rain, and still not break a sweat or be faced with your mortality.

Companies the world over are scrambling to "beat" the Vyron on statistics boards; but the real magic isn't how fast it laps a particular track, its top speed, its dyno curve and peak numbers... it's how it does all those things amazingly well and still retains a refined and luxurious interior, relaxing driving characteristics, and a sense of amazement that leaves everyone, even car people, in awe of its magnificence. Saying that this car's top speed is better, making it better than the Vyron, is like saying that Whillie Nelson's latest album is superior to Beethoven's Syphony No. 9. One musician got high and wrote some music, the other slaved for probably years to get every single note from every single member of the orchastra to be perfect, flawless...and then he made it better.

I'm sure there's plenty of people on this forum that could make a Chevy S10 lead sled go faster than a Vyron... but I doubt in the near future that any company will make anything that is directly comparable to the Vyron.

The SSC car probably doesn't even have a radio. The Vryon has a premium sound system that would make audiophiles sweat bullets. Need I say more?

I don't mean to diss the Aero for it is an amazing car. But I promise you that the engineers who designed the Vyron don't even bat an eye when anyone says it's a "Vyron killer" nor do they feel threatened. The Vyron is the pinnacle of automotive genius, it is the McLaren F1's formidable and most worthy successor, and I'm sure that some of the designers of the F1 helped to build the Vyron. It is the Concorde of our time.

Bugatti made something to which all cars from now until its worthy successor is made, will be compared to. It is the measuring stick of automotive perfection. Bugatti has changed automotive design forever and now everyone will labour to simply keep up.

Be in awe.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Keros: My point exactly ;)

VW Take a 4+ million hit on each one produced so it's a project that more than likely will never happen again, purchase price is a tiny part of owning one I think the ongoing costs would make ownership difficult to justify even for the rich.
(ie: 17 set of tires that lasts 6000 Km's then having to replace the wheels every x sets or tires, when the fat car is running I'll do 1000 Km's each weekend)

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
kotu100;1580737 said:
i never knew the Veyron is that amazing.
Everything from the billet aluminum pistons, titanium connecting rods, double clutch system in the trans.

Bugatti Veyron: You'll say WOW every time!

everything i want in a 7m :p