The Symptoms...

knucklebuster

Jan 17, 2010
St. Louis
I have recently done alot of work to my 7mge, and it seems as if none if it paid off. The motor was difficult to get to 10 deg. btdc but it is very close, maybe 11 or 12. But the car idles at 1200-1500 rpm and it smells as if its running very rich. I have no low end power but high end is ehhh...ok i guess. The motor DID NOT run good before this rebuild.

Any suggestions or help is GREATLY appreciated thank you!

feel free to ask any questions!!

What ive had done professionally:

new valve stem seals
adjusted valves
new pistons
new rings
ARP headbolt kit
Fel-Pro Head Gasket
Motor/crankshaft rebuild
Bored .050 over in block, and .025 over on crankshaft
Fel-Pro Conversion Kit (upper gasket kit)
new Oil Pump
.25 mm Rod Bearings (x6)
.25 Main Bearings Set
Thrust Washer Kit
Valve Springs
Valve Stem Seals
New Camshafts ($186.00 x2)
Grind and replace valves and seals
Pressure test head
Mill head
Adjust valves
ARP Rod Bolt Kit
Freeze plugs and Oil Pump Shaft Bearings
Spark Plugs
Water housing gasket and bolts
Oil Pump Shaft Bearing set (again)
Gasket
Timing belt and cam gears
Seals, upper radiator hose
Valve, BIM

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Engine timing is off, to include the CPS position. That assumes the rebuild was done right and everything else was put together right.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
You have to verify that the #1 piston is at TDC, cam marks lined up, crank pulley at "O", and rotor pointing at #1 plug wire.

knucklebuster

Jan 17, 2010
St. Louis
I did all that, i am sure the timing is done correctly. Ive checked it numerous times with a timing light and had it checked at a mechanics shop. Its gotta be a sensor, or computer component, or maybe the injectors are bad.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Your basic timing could show it is right with a timing light but the cam gears etc. could be off. When the timing belt was put back on, did you rotate the motor by hand a couple of revs and then verify the timing marks all lined up?

Not saying it is your problem, but several have skipped that step including me, and found by checking the cam marks that they were off.

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
When you say you can get the timing close but not to 10 what is the reason, is it because the dis is at its max movement? If so then you could be a tooth off on the dis.