The Small Questions Thread

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
anyone know where I can get a 7MGTE intercooler hard pipe kit without a flange for a BOV? Seems like every kit I come across either has an intercooler with it or the pipe kit has a BOV flange.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Dont think you will find one. and generally everyone uses a bov.

wouldnt cost much to just cut it off and have someone weld it shut.

A-to-the-J

Panda™ and Pre-89 Gracer™
Feb 19, 2006
Anaheim/West Covina, CA

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Do you know how the fitment is? I've heard from some of the DM kits, which is the same as CX racing, you have to grind or something like that.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Another question, the Spearco intercooler fits with the stock piping correct? I am buying one tomorrow and plan to get that CX racing kit and it all should bolt up right?

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
My rear wiper is not working. Threw a voltmeter on it, and no juice is making it to the relay box. I can't seem to find a fuse dedicated to the rear wiper, unless its shares one with the front. Front wipers are ok. My rear de-frogger never worked (fried), the rear brake light in the spoiler never worked, but I know the rear wiper used to work on this car. It had some issues and actually flipped the wiper way over the side a few years back so I got some replacement parts put in this week.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Rear wiper shares fuse with front wipers. Not sure what you are calling the relay box. Other than the switch, everything is in the wiper motor assembly. You should see 12V on the blue wire going to the wiper motor. Grounding either of the other two wires (light green/red or light-green/black should cause the motor to turn.

grsupra87

Let's go Pens!!
Small question. I have an 89 5 spd. When I bought the car, the top steering surround piece was broken/missing over the ignition switch. I have since bought two different sets of column surrounds, both from 89's like mine, but they don't fit right? I know there were changes year to year, but were there changes mid-year? At least now it's not broken, but it sits 1/2" off. Can someone educate me? Search function was not much help.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
For column surrounds, looks like there might be a difference between A./T and M/T. There are three part numbers for 89+. Pre 89s were all the same except for color. Post 89s are all black.

grsupra87

Let's go Pens!!
3p141592654;2018077 said:
For column surrounds, looks like there might be a difference between A./T and M/T. There are three part numbers for 89+. Pre 89s were all the same except for color. Post 89s are all black.

hmmm, mine is a M/T. I don't know if the ones I bought were A/T or not, but they were all black. I guess I will continue to search and try to find one I know is from a M/T. What a PITA.
Weird that the M/T vs A/T should matter since both have console shifters and not column, though.

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
3p141592654;2017937 said:
Rear wiper shares fuse with front wipers. Not sure what you are calling the relay box. Other than the switch, everything is in the wiper motor assembly. You should see 12V on the blue wire going to the wiper motor. Grounding either of the other two wires (light green/red or light-green/black should cause the motor to turn.

There is a plastic box that sits right next to the rear wiper motor. Power runs through that box before it makes it to the motor. That box is the relay. I tested the wires before they enter the relay and did not see any juice. I checked all three contacts with a voltmeter.

Switches & relays: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=BE&P=12

Does anyone know how the rear hatch wires to the car? Is there a plug I can access somewhere without tearing out the rear hatch?

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
There may be some variation with year. Still, they all behave the same. Blue is 12V, and the two light-green wires are control. If you don' have 12V at the blue, then you need to trace back. The power goes through three separate harnesses before getting to the wiper fuse block. You will need to work through them until you find the issue. I would start by checking power on the rear wiper circuit at the fuse block.

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Hey, quick question regarding the bvsv.

If a vehicle is running no charcoal canister, as well as having the line blocked off at the throttle body (meaning no lines running to the bvsv), could you just put a regular bolt in place of the bvsv in the thermostat housing?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Why would you need it if it's not hooked up?

All it is is a temp activated vaccum switching valve.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
grsupra87;2018001 said:
Small question. I have an 89 5 spd. When I bought the car, the top steering surround piece was broken/missing over the ignition switch. I have since bought two different sets of column surrounds, both from 89's like mine, but they don't fit right? I know there were changes year to year, but were there changes mid-year? At least now it's not broken, but it sits 1/2" off. Can someone educate me? Search function was not much help.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Where is it not fitting?

There has to be room for when you adjust the steering wheel too.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Is there a guide on fixing the hatch leak? I replaced the stripping around the inside of the hatch but I am still getting leaks from under the interior panel.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Doat;2018770 said:
Is there a guide on fixing the hatch leak? I replaced the stripping around the inside of the hatch but I am still getting leaks from under the interior panel.

It might be that outer black trim piece at the bottom of the glass.