The Small Questions Thread

Supra mn

Oct 10, 2012
Jacksonville/Nebraska
Figured I'd post in here instead of starting a new thread.
I tried searching, but I honestly didn't know how to word it.

I have a full 3" turbo-back exhaust (DM downpipe and cat-back). I back into the garage, and ive noticed that theres a larger amount of build-up on the trashcan and ground behind my car.

I started it up this morning and pulled it out into the driveway, hopped out while it was running, and noticed it was building up fast on the driveway.. so I stuck my hand behind my exhaust. within seconds my hand was covered in a dark brown liquid. I wiped it off, and it smeared my hand black.

Is this normal for a cold start? am I just running rich, or is this a sign of something going bad?

Austin2048

May 31, 2013
Kaukauna, Wi
HMNGSupraMKIII;1966988 said:
Is it difficult to replace the clutch master cylinder? Mine is going bad and leaking brake fluid all over my carpet. Have to refill the tank every week.

Its pretty easy. I've done it twice now. Its easier if you take out the cruise control module though. The hardest part is the top nut on the inside. You kinda just gotta feel for that one. And for me the nut on the line going into the cylinder stripped

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
fix that leak asap! brake fluid does not do kindly to metal exposed to air, paint will first come off then it will all start rusting. I had an old 240z that developed a rust hole directly under the master.

Supra mn

Oct 10, 2012
Jacksonville/Nebraska
jdmfreak;1966976 said:
Does it smoke? Or just spew liquid?
I believe a little smoke comes out on initial start up, but by the time I get out and look to see if its smoking, theres nothing.
My AFR's are around 13.6 on cold start, although after about a minute they go to 15, and the engine is still cold and idling high.
I had an intercooler pipe pop off on the interstate a couple days ago which made me run crazy rich for a couple minutes until I could pull over and fix it. Ever since then, its been "spitting" a lot more. It's always spit a little, just never this much.

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
could be the carbon burning off from running that rich for a few minutes that made it worse. If you drive it for a while and pull in somewhere and check to see if it is still coming out or not that should give you an indication that it is or isnt normal carbon build up.

Austin2048

May 31, 2013
Kaukauna, Wi
What is everyone's oil pressure gauge measured in? Mines in kg/cm² and my buddies 87 is in psi.
4ega6a2e.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk now Free

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Supra mn;1967138 said:
I believe a little smoke comes out on initial start up, but by the time I get out and look to see if its smoking, theres nothing.
My AFR's are around 13.6 on cold start, although after about a minute they go to 15, and the engine is still cold and idling high.
I had an intercooler pipe pop off on the interstate a couple days ago which made me run crazy rich for a couple minutes until I could pull over and fix it. Ever since then, its been "spitting" a lot more. It's always spit a little, just never this much.

Fwiw, I blew an intercooler pipe and drove 4 miles home when I first did my turbo swap. Connected the pipe back up and held it at 2000-2500 for 5 minutes and it was running fine again.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Austin2048

May 31, 2013
Kaukauna, Wi
Grandavi;1970059 said:
Canada= kg/cm2
0.5-2.5... Idle/driving

So my car was originally sold in Canada? Its traveled a lot... the guy I bought it from drove it from Maryland to Wisconsin. And the repair manual I got with the car has a receipt between the pages from a place in California.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Austin2048;1970081 said:
So my car was originally sold in Canada? Its traveled a lot... the guy I bought it from drove it from Maryland to Wisconsin. And the repair manual I got with the car has a receipt between the pages from a place in California.

I believe all US cars should be in psi. My 87 N/A is and it was originally sold in Tennessee. Is your odometer in Miles or Kms?

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
timing question....
i had a friend set my timing today, and he set it to 15 degrees but did not jump the e1 to te1 connectors. is this going to harm the engine? if so, i will set it correctly first thing in the morning.
thanks.........

Austin2048

May 31, 2013
Kaukauna, Wi
So i might be moving to Maryland and I'd be driving my Supra. My engine is old with lots of miles and the head gasket is going. Do you think it would make the drive if I just replaced the head gasket and seals?