Status
Not open for further replies.

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
Squid699;971446 said:
:aigo:

No, didn't know that......AR10/SR25 platform?

I'm not 100% certain....I'll check a magazine of one company who build them. I've seen misc uppers to support that round. I'd be in heaven if I can get a round that big.

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
images

That gun would be badass.....

.338 Federal

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
hmm that whisper concept is pretty interesting.

Bushmaster? I don't have any bushmasters.

Starting from the top of my picture:
M16A2 mod. 767 clone
14.7" CMMG M4 barrel with permanently attached A2 flash hider on a CMMG A2 receiver with polished M4 ramps
Knights Armament M4 RAS
Noveske stripped lower built up with a Stag LPK and CAR stock kit

KISS AR15
14.5" Lightweight CMMG Midlength barrel with permanently attached Phantom flash hider
M16 slick side upper receiver and bolt carrier
Stripped Noveske Lower built with Stag LPK and Magpul MIAD full kit
Sully sock

SBR
Noveske 10.5" barrel and KX3 flash hider on a generic A3 flattop receiver
Troy mid-length free float rails and back up sites
Custom lower receiver with Stag LPK and Magpul MIAD kit
Magpul CTR
Daniel Defense Burnsed loop end plate
Gear sector single point sling

all have Magpul PMAGS and KNS anti-roll pin kits

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
Not hard at all. If you have enough car experience, and the right tools, it's pretty easy.

Just like building an engine, you gotta have good parts, follow your procedures and check your torque specs

I'm no gunsmith. I'm a cook by trade. Gunsmithing and mechanics are my hobbies.

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
Squid699;971700 said:
Not hard at all. If you have enough car experience, and the right tools, it's pretty easy.

Just like building an engine, you gotta have good parts, follow your procedures and check your torque specs

I'm no gunsmith. I'm a cook by trade. Gunsmithing and mechanics are my hobbies.

ooo....is it cheaper to build your own?

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
lol sometimes yes, sometimes no. all depends on the parts.

SBR - no because I had a custom lower done and I went for premo parts on the barrel.

KISS - Definitely because I got the upper used and got the lower parts over time and fairly cheaply

M4 - broke about even. Got some good deals, splurged on other things

The thing is, no one made any of the 3 in the configuration I wanted, hence why I built them myself the way I wanted them.

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
If you were to build a new AR-15...where would you start build? upper or lower? What's are some things to look for and differences between the couple of different types of uppers and lowers?

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
That's a really big question. Go to AR15.com and read up on the technical stuff. As with most forums, it's full of asshats, but there is some damn good info in there too.

Personally, I'd start with a lower. You can get them stripped or complete. Cruise your local gun shows and see what you can get locally at the shops. Research is the key.

If you have specific questions, shoot me a PM and I'll try to help. I've only built 3, so I'm still considered a noob by AR15.com standards :wuteva::icon_wink

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I like to get some of you guy's opinions on the 1911 based pistols...I have limited experience with them and am look for a carry weapon that's easier to conceal than my Glock 20 10mm (it's damn big). I'm interested in the 1911 due to it's profile...it's fairly flat and I'd like to stick with the 4" barrel version to keep the length down...seems to be a good compromise between the full length slides and the 3" ultra compacts. Here's what I'm looking at:

Model: Tactical Pro II™ / .45 ACP
Caliber: .45 ACP
Features: Exclusive gray anodized aluminum frames dramatically reduce weight without compromising performance or durability.
All Tactical pistols feature Meprolight Tritium 3-dot night sights, ambidextrous safety and premium aluminum trigger.
Tactical pistols have 30 lines-per-inch checkering or the front strap and under the trigger guard with extended magazine well for enhanced grip and control.

Specifications: Height (inches) 90° to barrel: 5.50
Weight (ounces) with empty magazine: 28
Length (inches): 7.7
Magazine capacity: 7
Magazine well
Ambidextrous thumb safety
Recoil spring (pounds): 22.0
Full length guide rod

Frame: Material: Aluminum
Finish: Matte gray
KimPro II™ frame finish
Width (inches): 1.28
Frontstrap checkering
Checkering under trigger guard

Slide: Material: Steel
Finish: Matte black

Barrel: Length (inches): 4
Steel, match grade
Twist rate (left hand): 16

Sights: Meprolight Tritium 3-dot night sight, fixed
Radius (inches): 5.7

Grips: Laminated
Double diamond
Kimber logo

Trigger: Premium Aluminum Match Grade
Factory setting (approx. pounds): 4.0 - 5.0

Springfield's GI .45 1911 is nearly identical to the service pistol issued to US troops during WWII. If you are looking for an impeccably reliable .45 with strong collector appeal, this is the pistol for you.

Specifications

GI .45 4", Champion PW9142L
Caliber: . .45 ACP
Capacity: 7+1
Barrel: 4" Fully supported barrel
Sights: Low-profile military
Sight Radius: 5.5"
Size: 34 ozs., 7.5" overall length
Trigger Pull: 5 to 6 lbs.
Magazines: 2

Sig 1911 Carry Nitron
The 1911 Carry is available in either natural stainless or Nitron® (shown) finish and comes with Novak® night sights, checkered front strap (25-lpi) and mainspring housing (20-lpi) with lanyard attachment point and custom wood grips. The grips are either gray diamondwood on Stainless model or rosewood on the Nitron® version. Each of these 8+1 capacity Carry model 1911 pistols features a shortened stainless steel slide, stainless steel frame, match grade barrel, hammer/sear set and trigger. The de-horned slides and frames are machined to exacting tolerances and hand-fitted to insure reliability and performance.

Caliber .45ACP
Trigger Pull SA 4.5 - 5.5 lbs
Overall Length 7.70"
Overall Height 5.50"
Overall Width 1.37"
Barrel Length 4.25"
Sight Radius 5.70"
Sights Novak® Night Sights
Weight w/ Mag 35.4 oz
Mag Capacity 8 Rounds
Finish Nitron®
Grips Custom Rosewood

Both the Kimber and Sig have been modified for carry, specifically smoothed in areas that can snag coming out of a holster under clothing. Plus, there are other "custom" features for these weapons...I'm leaning toward either of these two. What I need to know from the folks that have actually shot one of these or a similar manufacturers model:

- Aluminum vs. steel frames...any issues with durability for aluminum?
- Accuracy on a bench...looking for under 2" at 25 yards
- Feed problems with certain ammo/bullets
- The Kimber has several model chambered in 10mm (that would save me a reloading set-up)...any experience shooting 10mm in a 1911 frame?

I'm going to head down to Scottsdale Gun Club (I'm a member and they have all of these) and fondle each for point/feel. Any suggestions of an alternate source (pricing wise) to save a few $$$ is appreciated.

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
hey jdub, it might be a case of which feels better in your hands. Honestly, if I were to get a 1911, I'd go Colt as they seem to hold their value and often increase in value.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I looked at Colt's...damn expensive for the name, plus what it would take (gunsmith wise) to achieve the Kimber or Sig specs. This is going to be a pure carry gun...I want accuracy, reliability, and low profile in a 1911 frame. Not that Colt can't achieve those, it's a more "bang for the buck" issue.

The Kimber's offer in 10mm is also peaked my interest...I've shot this cartridge quite a bit. It's power is hard to beat and I have no problem handling it...from an economic perspective (since I reload), it would save me several hundred $$$ in another reloading set up on my Dillon 550 machine. My concern is 10mm caused frame cracking issues in the early S&W pistols and the 1911 based Colt Delta Elite due to the recoil battering the frame. I'm wondering is Kimber has resolved this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.