The (old) Official Gun Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
ah that site sucks... I'm in cali, you know can't do shit state. funny tho. everywhere I've gone to price hunt AR's its legal. on that site they refuse to sell them here.

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
Mk3runner said:
geez everyones trying to be all proper and shit... clips mags... whatever as long as the point is made...

least I don't talk like I'm a teenage girl texting her friend or some shit.

It has a name for a reason - to make sure we know what one another is talking about. Why perpetuate an inaccurate statement?

Adjuster - Cartridge is nice, but I usually use 'round' as my common term.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
Squid699 said:
It has a name for a reason - to make sure we know what one another is talking about. Why perpetuate an inaccurate statement?

Adjuster - Cartridge is nice, but I usually use 'round' as my common term.

I aint bitching.. I'll try and keep it in mind.

NastyNate

Jun 21, 2007
SA,TX
Clueless said:
one bad thing about AR rifles are the countless different brands...I mean, if we're wanting the best accuracy, how would we what what brand/setup to get?

Funny thing about that is most of the brands get the parts from the same place. They just put their name on it. You can find more about it on ar15.com. I think Colt, Armalite, and a few others come from the same place. The Colt is ungodly more expensive too. And it's the same exact thing as the next guy, it just says Colt on it.

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
NastyNate said:
Funny thing about that is most of the brands get the parts from the same place. They just put their name on it. You can find more about it on ar15.com. I think Colt, Armalite, and a few others come from the same place. The Colt is ungodly more expensive too. And it's the same exact thing as the next guy, it just says Colt on it.

I've heard this, but was wondering how some guns are more precise then other's? Idk, a bit confusing. I'd get something like a varmint .308 at least a 20" barrel(longer means more accurate, right?), some good scope, etc.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
If I was buying a AR type rifle again, It would be one with a AK style pushrod/piston type bolt release. (Less cleaning issues, better reliability for the long term, and the extra weight is good for keeping the muzzle down under fast use.)

Israel makes some nice .223 Galil rifles...
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Galil_Sporter_.223_Rifle.html
Almost bought this one new about 14 years ago... Should have, it's a dang reliable weapon, basicly a well made AK in .223, and accurate as you would ever need it to be. :)

Oh, the modern front stock, shorty version would be excellent :) (Scroll down.)
http://world.guns.ru/assault/as23-e.htm

outofstep

Mar 31, 2005
fwb
Having tons of AR manufacturers is by no way, shape, or form, a bad thing. It's actually one of the best things about the AR platform. Tons of people trying to innovate and bring new products to market for that particular system.

There is nothing wrong with the AR's gas system that needs to be replaced with a less accurate, heavier (you don't need weight to keep the muzzle down on a .223) piston.

Century Arms assembled those Galils. I wouldn't touch them with a 70ft poll.

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
Nothing wrong with the direct impingement system on the AR. There was a thread recently about a POF gas piston upper going kaboom recently, on the other hand.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
These are tasty... (And not that far away.. buy a scratch and dent rifle...)

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as77-e.htm

Thinking of 7.62X39 to use some surplus ammo, and widen my choices in my own personal arsenal.. but then again, the .223 stuff has always been fine, and they make a nice version of that too. (And my magazines work well in this rifle.. )

Pretty much, everything on this gun is custom. Sights, grips etc. You can pick and choose your barrel, grip, sight combination and even stocks, both fore and aft. Very nice rifles.

But, If I go 7.62 X 39, I really want one of these... :)
http://world.guns.ru/assault/as26-e.htm

Or this if I stay .223... I really like the Bullpup's at the moment.

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as30-e.htm

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
If I had the property, I'd get this...

404008.jpg

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
I heard it said that a Remington 700 is a good rifle on the long range, can anybody confirm or deny this claim? Any other good range rifles out there? I'm looking for something in the .308 round.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Clueless said:
I heard it said that a Remington 700 is a good rifle on the long range, can anybody confirm or deny this claim? Any other good range rifles out there? I'm looking for something in the .308 round.

I've built a couple of long distance rig's based on the 700. It's the "classic" SWAT sniper piece.

You can't go wrong with 700.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
adjuster: Robarm's stuff was entered into the testing phase for the new special ops weapon contract, but didn't win it. He's a brilliant guy and one of the only people that thinks the same way Stoner did (Stoner invented the M16, but his true greatest invention was the stoner weapon system)

Robinson also make some damn great AK variants.

http://www.robarm.com/

NastyNate

Jun 21, 2007
SA,TX
Well my wife went into cunt mode and cut me off from getting the AR. I'm so pissed... oh well.

The m700 is a great rifle. I loved mine. BUT if you want out of the box performance check out the Savage line of rifles. Their law enforcement rifles, which are also available to the public, usually come shooting 1/2 moa or less out of the box. Which is a lot better than your average shooter is going to be able to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.