The (old) Official Gun Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
HellsLegion said:
.45 > all. Stupid mistake to phase out teh .45 with the M1911.

I believe the US army should use .40SW. First off its a supereasy round to control. Will let the womens and the scrawny guys shoot well. 2nd its a bit more of a punch than a 9mm round.

3rd. Its badass.
here is where the mk23 and usp come into play :evil2:

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
I've been thinking about picking up a pistol... and actually was looking at the Taurus 92 9mm for a first gun, but I was wondering... if I were to hit up a gun range, do they generally have... well, like rentals or something? So I could try out various guns, to see what I'm comfortable with?

I'm a total n00b with firearms - .22 Remington rifle is the only thing I've ever shot.

Show me where to start the path!

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
Adjuster said:
So, the 45 will only do it's job if you can keep it on target... LOL (Or hope to stop the bad guy with one round... good luck on that.)

compensator? any takers? lol... just making a point that it can be controlled :) even without a compensator

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Adjuster said:
So, the 45 will only do it's job if you can keep it on target...

Any gun will only do the job if you can keep it on target. :p

Adjuster said:
LOL (Or hope to stop the bad guy with one round... good luck on that.)

And I love that line. I'd suspect one round would stop 99.999% of you guys (or me for that matter) with little problem.

And last, if you can't put a double tap center mass into a man sized target at normal handgun ranges (statistics show most shootings take place at distances of UNDER seven yards), you've got no business handling a gun in the first place.

Just my $.02, ymmv.

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
Sorry for the off topic-ness but:

I've seen the "I miss IJ" thing twice, I can't find anything on the search...what happened to him?

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
hey guys....the MK23 SOCOM is .45...not .40. The cal question is pretty moot. You shoot, you hit, bad guy goes down. done deal. anything above 9mm (sometimes .380) will get teh job done, so long as you do your part.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
Squid699 said:
hey guys....the MK23 SOCOM is .45...not .40. The cal question is pretty moot. You shoot, you hit, bad guy goes down. done deal. anything above 9mm (sometimes .380) will get teh job done, so long as you do your part.
that was my point :D... mk23 for .45 acp and usp for .40 cal... govt still uses both... not commonly, but they use them

Feuerstoss

Nov 14, 2005
Colo. Springs, CO
Speaking of the HK MK23... anyone ever get a chance to shoot one of those things?

I was impressed. Double-stack .45ACP, a little large on the hands but honestly I can deal with that just fine. A bit too large for CC work unfortunately unless you like shoulder rigs and coats all year round. But, wow. Accuracy was phenominal; I was hitting consistently out to about 50 yards rapid fire offhand. Felt recoil seemed a shade less than a full-sized 9x19mm, but most of that was due to its size. Nice pistol, but in some places they retail at prices that'd get you a cheap MK3.

And, Outofstep, your post piqued my interest in the 10x25mm round as far as a possible consealed carry gun goes. Might not be the most feasable thing in the world, but to me recoil isn't an issue unless we're talking about a big-bore Magnum like the .475 Linebaugh or the .500 S&W. I can rapid-fire a .45ACP M1911 and my Taurus .357 Magnum revolver offhand with reasonable accuracy and not really complain... 'ell, I loved the stout feel of the 1911, honestly. Any somewhat feasable carry guns in this caliber you could point my eye towards?

L

lanky189

well i just picked up a Mosin Nagan, or some variant there of.. 7.62x 54

quite a wild looking rifle..i'll get some pics up soon..

squid..a blackpowder day would be a blast.. could probably bring the wife unit along too as she enjoys shooting as much as i do

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
lanky189 said:
well i just picked up a Mosin Nagan, or some variant there of.. 7.62x 54

quite a wild looking rifle..i'll get some pics up soon..

I had a Mosin Nagant Model 91/30 Sniper until about a year ago. I sold it to a friend of mine.

Fun old beast.

L

lanky189

mine was sporterized...
i hate it..the synthetic stock doesn't fit right..i'm gonna hafta find a wood one

yaitsme

Beach Bum
Mar 2, 2006
Cheatham County, TN
Since we're on the sporterized subject ... here's a couple shots of my 8mm. Story is, my Uncle 'acquired' it & did the sporterizing himself ... it was my deer rifle as a kid & when I tried to return it to him a few years back - he gave it to me :icon_mrgr

I know these things were made by the millions at the time - but I still think it's pretty cool that this one has the markings that it does. I had hell tryin' to get them to show up in a picture - but that little bird w/ spread wings is holding a swaztika(sp?) inside a circle.

8mm_1.jpg

8mm_2.jpg

L

lanky189

cool, i've always liked the older rifles...i'm gonna try and find an old Garand one of these days.

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
Garands are a ton of fun Lanky!

Look into the CMP. The Civilian Marksmanship program. My dad and I have gotten 3 Garands from them.

I enjoy my K98 a ton yaitsme I pick them up all the time from Big5 when they get them

outofstep

Mar 31, 2005
fwb
That's not off topic at all. That's what this thread is for. All of my ARs I built that way. Making your own gun is one of the funnest things to do.

Here's the best hint for building your kit (if it's not built yet). Cut about half a centimeter off of the front detent spring. It will still have plenty enough strength to keep the detent pin pushing and locking the front pivot pin. However, it saves hours and hours of frustration from having to chasing that fucking detent pin and spring around the room after it pops out while you tried to get the front pivot into place.

I tried it without trimming it on my first RRA built. FUCK THAT! haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.