The (old) Official Gun Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
89nasupra;1659848 said:
is there any reason it is so cheap on midwayUSA or is this the good price and the other guys are just plain nuts?

Midway is probably the largest online dealer of firearm related products other than Brownells. They tend to have very good pricing, I've bought tons of stuff from them. And believe it or not, it's actually possible to get Larry (the owner of Midway) on the phone. (He will talk your ear off however... :))

89nasupra

Sugar, Water, Purple
Apr 8, 2008
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
Supracentral;1659855 said:
Midway is probably the largest online dealer of firearm related products other than Brownells. They tend to have very good pricing, I've bought tons of stuff from them. And believe it or not, it's actually possible to get Larry (the owner of Midway) on the phone. (He will talk your ear off however... :))

Cool, well I'll probably end up getting the gun from them also being you buy from them if I can't find it here locally first for a decent price.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
89nasupra;1659827 said:
I would also like to use it for hunting so that is another reason I was looking at the 28" barrel but I know that will never happen because I can think of better things to do than go sit in a deer stand all day.

Are the tactical guns from Academy any good? I like this one here,
http://www.academy.com/index.php?pa.../tactical&start=0&selectedSKU=0390-00329-0002
but it is out of the question for this year but next year I would like to get one.

Mike, I think I will just buy new then. It will just be easier plus I will know it's new

Not a fan of AR's personally, but like I said, that's personal :) (yes, I'm an AK fan) Plus the price is steep for most sporting rifles, though I would love to own a Springfield M1A or M1 Garand.

ABNPayne

Jul 18, 2010
Macon, GA
89nasupra;1659827 said:
I would also like to use it for hunting so that is another reason I was looking at the 28" barrel but I know that will never happen because I can think of better things to do than go sit in a deer stand all day.

Are the tactical guns from Academy any good? I like this one here,
http://www.academy.com/index.php?pa.../tactical&start=0&selectedSKU=0390-00329-0002
but it is out of the question for this year but next year I would like to get one.

Mike, I think I will just buy new then. It will just be easier plus I will know it's new

The 28'' barrels are for hunting birds and shooting skeet. The longer barrel extends accuracy and keeps the shot pattern together at a distance.

For deer, slug barrels typically are no longer than 24'' shorter than that, you need a combination of luck(close deer), patience(let em come closer) and skill(for the shot).

.223 is not approved for big game, unless on private property(check DNR rules). Shot placement is key. Cost per round has dropped a good bit but is still pretty pricey.

Double Star gives best bang for the buck with entry level ARs IMO. It's what I plan on getting when a find an extra $800-$1k laying around. www.star15.com

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
ABNPayne;1660027 said:
The 28'' barrels are for hunting birds and shooting skeet. The longer barrel extends accuracy and keeps the shot pattern together at a distance.

For deer, slug barrels typically are no longer than 24'' shorter than that, you need a combination of luck(close deer), patience(let em come closer) and skill(for the shot).

.223 is not approved for big game, unless on private property(check DNR rules). Shot placement is key. Cost per round has dropped a good bit but is still pretty pricey.

Double Star gives best bang for the buck with entry level ARs IMO. It's what I plan on getting when a find an extra $800-$1k laying around. www.star15.com

if you think double star gives best bang then you must not know of bravocompanyusa.com or spikes tactical! hell you can build most any style ar for around $1000 unless you want top name stuff which isnt always necessary!

your star..star car carbine $964.99 with carry handle

http://www.star15.com/basic_rifles.html

spikes tactical st-15 m4 carbine...$799.95 with carry handle as well is the better 1:7 twist rate barrel which can shoot 55gr all the way up to 72gr just fine

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/st15-m4-le-carbine-p-387.html

not to mention spikes is now one of the leading names in ar's these days!

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
ABNPayne;1661754 said:

yeah spikes only does carbines. but bravocompanyusa.com does pretty much everything iirc

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Good news for California firearm owners: AB962 was struck down today just a few weeks before it was due to go into effect. The law would have prevented the buying of handgun ammunition online, required ammo transfers be face to face, and would have required identification and a thumb print for those transfers.

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
Alright i have a question for you guys. i have a 7.62x39 Colt upper for my ar15, and i would really like a flat top 5.56 upper as well. As regards to choosing the correct one is where i'm at a stand still. I want something that will be very accurate at a long range. Also Ive never really had much expierience(being in the gun scene only for around a year or so) with scopes. What scope would be best for me? Any help would be great. Thanks guys!

CTsupra

Supramania Contributor
Compton74;1663192 said:
Alright i have a question for you guys. i have a 7.62x39 Colt upper for my ar15, and i would really like a flat top 5.56 upper as well. As regards to choosing the correct one is where i'm at a stand still. I want something that will be very accurate at a long range. Also Ive never really had much expierience(being in the gun scene only for around a year or so) with scopes. What scope would be best for me? Any help would be great. Thanks guys!

Where on this planet did you actually find mags that will work properly with that caliber on the AR platform that are not hack-jobs? Any idea if that is a pre-ban upper? They're fairly rare, and I might have to buy it off you. As for a 5.56 upper, try to find one in a 1/7 twist so you can fire most everything from light to heavy loads. You can go on ARFCOM, make an account and serch the classifieds. There are always folks selling uppers. Any upper from Colt, LMT, Stag, Bushmaster, RRA et cetera will be fine.

Edit: Oh yeah, scopes. Well, what do you want to do with the rifle? Hunt, home defense, range rifle, zombies, Dec. 21st 2012?

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
CTsupra;1663526 said:
Where on this planet did you actually find mags that will work properly with that caliber on the AR platform that are not hack-jobs? Any idea if that is a pre-ban upper? They're fairly rare, and I might have to buy it off you. As for a 5.56 upper, try to find one in a 1/7 twist so you can fire most everything from light to heavy loads. You can go on ARFCOM, make an account and serch the classifieds. There are always folks selling uppers. Any upper from Colt, LMT, Stag, Bushmaster, RRA et cetera will be fine.

Edit: Oh yeah, scopes. Well, what do you want to do with the rifle? Hunt, home defense, range rifle, zombies, Dec. 21st 2012?

Well as sad as i am to say this, i live in California, thus making it increasingly harder to find mags, but ive got some 10 rounders that work relatively good, jams every now and again, and i have family in AZ, so 30s are no issue to get, but the new CMAG 30 rounder does a great, great job. Now my upper was bought in AZ, and i was told by the man at the shop that it had been sitting for 3 years on the shelf, so it being pre ban or post ban im not 100% positive. But i purchased the upper, basing my thoughts on ammo prices and didnt do my research as to the reliability(I was young and semi impulse buying). But the gun does fine with the 30 round mags as long as long as shes oiled correctly.
Heres a photo of her(she now has a nice quad rail, with harris bipod)
p1663672_1.jpg

And as for scopes go, the Dec 21st 2012, and zombies, sounds about right ;)

Last edited:

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Compton74;1663192 said:

Are you 100% sure you don't have an ar-10? You can't load that round threw an ar15 lower as the round is to long to fit in the mag well.

If indeed you have an ar15 lower you can get uppers from:
Larue tactical
Spikes tactical
Bravo company USA
Daniels defense
Bushmaster
Etc etc

Or you can build your own....aslong as they are from good companies then everything should be milspec and fit together just fine!

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

Compton74;1663672 said:
Well as sad as i am to say this, i live in California, thus making it increasingly harder to find mags, but ive got some 10 rounders that work relatively good, jams every now and again, and i have family in AZ, so 30s are no issue to get, but the new CMAG 30 rounder does a great, great job. Now my upper was bought in AZ, and i was told by the man at the shop that it had been sitting for 3 years on the shelf, so it being pre ban or post ban im not 100% positive. But i purchased the upper, basing my thoughts on ammo prices and didnt do my research as to the reliability(I was young and semi impulse buying). But the gun does fine with the 30 round mags as long as long as shes oiled correctly.
Heres a photo of her(she now has a nice quad rail, with harris bipod)
[thumb]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b59/spawnboy74/get-attachmentaspx-4.jpg[/thumb]
And as for scopes go, the Dec 21st 2012, and zombies, sounds about right ;)

Preban uppers mean nothing....the lower is what counts

For example:
New York you can't have a flash hider unless you have a preban lower.

Last edited by a moderator:

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
CTsupra;1665503 said:
gaboonviper85;1665070 said:
Are you 100% sure you don't have an ar-10? You can't load that round threw an ar15 lower as the round is to long to fit in the mag well.

Negative, 7.62x39 is actually shorter than 5.56x45. Read and heed.

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=558

Correct. I think Gaboon is thinking about the AR chambered in 7.62x51mm (7.62 NATO) - which is a completely different animal.

PICT0005(1).JPG

From Left to Right: .308 (same dimensions as 7.62x51mm) .223 (same dimensions as 5.56x45), 5.45x39, 7.62x39

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
So ive seen some 24" fluted bull barrels on some uppers i was looking at, i understand that the fluting is designed to save weight, but in regards to length of barrel, does this make any difference to how the weapon performs, or is it just personal preference?

and by the way Happy Birthday SupraCentral

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Compton74;1665560 said:
So ive seen some 24" fluted bull barrels on some uppers i was looking at, i understand that the fluting is designed to save weight, but in regards to length of barrel, does this make any difference to how the weapon performs, or is it just personal preference?

Aside from the weight savings, fluting does allow for more rapid cooling, so in a sustained fire situation, you might be able to shoot for a longer period before overheating. For most people, in most applications, the weight savings is the advantage. However overall the effects are negligible and probably don't offset the negatives.

Compton74;1665560 said:
and by the way Happy Birthday SupraCentral

Thanks! :)

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
but in regards to length of the barrel, does it make the rifle more accurate? Or is it just user preferance, because id love to get a long long barrel (24" is the largest i can get correct me if im wrong) but is the difference in accuracy between a 24" and say a 16" enough to compare?

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Compton74;1666375 said:
but in regards to length of the barrel, does it make the rifle more accurate?

That's a big question. It varies from caliber to caliber, bullet type to bullet type, powder to powder. Barrel length can have dramatic effect on pressures, velocity. Yes, in general longer barrels are more accurate, but there are caveats to that. You can make a barrel too long, but as I said it varies from round to round as to what is optimal.

I've never messed with 7.62x39 for accuracy. Theresa and I both have AK-47's, but they are close quarters combat guns to us. We buy Russian milsurp ammo by the crate for those. They are setup for 200 yds or less. For long distance I pretty much stick with .308 Win out to 600-700 yards and .338 Laupa beyond that.

Status
Not open for further replies.