The (old) Official Gun Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yep, most complaints I've seen about AK's are their long range accuracy, but they weren't designed for it. That's what the Dragunov was for.

Captain

Sep 30, 2008
NM
All this talk of AK's and accuracy remindes me of the strangest thing I have ever seen. Lapua 7.62x39 match ammo. I'll get a picture next time I'am at work.

Further backing up Supra Central: I managed .33 minute groups out of a 16.5" barrel with hand loads. There are companies that make .25 minute rifles with 16" barrels and companies that do the same with 24" barrels. Its all in the ammo selection.

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
Compton74;1665560 said:
So ive seen some 24" fluted bull barrels on some uppers i was looking at, i understand that the fluting is designed to save weight, but in regards to length of barrel, does this make any difference to how the weapon performs, or is it just personal preference?

and by the way Happy Birthday SupraCentral

A fluted barrel is stiffer than a regular barrel, which will provide better harmonics/accuracy. One thing to note is that it will only be stiffer than a barrel of equal weight, a heavier barrel will be stiffer. IE: An barrel with all things equal besides fluting cuts, the non-fluted version will be stiffer.

Compton74;1666375 said:
but in regards to length of the barrel, does it make the rifle more accurate? Or is it just user preferance, because id love to get a long long barrel (24" is the largest i can get correct me if im wrong) but is the difference in accuracy between a 24" and say a 16" enough to compare?

The tests that I've seen which involved cutting a 22" barrel down inch by inch and firing groups showed no real difference in accuracy. There was a change in the bullet's velocity.

Poodles;1666519 said:
Yep, most complaints I've seen about AK's are their long range accuracy, but they weren't designed for it. That's what the Dragunov was for.

The AK was designed with loose tolerances which is where it gets it's reliability from, this in turn affects the accuracy.

87mk111

Metal Head
Sep 29, 2009
akron/canton, ohio
Supracentral;1665519 said:
Correct. I think Gaboon is thinking about the AR chambered in 7.62x51mm (7.62 NATO) - which is a completely different animal.

PICT0005(1).JPG

From Left to Right: .308 (same dimensions as 7.62x51mm) .223 (same dimensions as 5.56x45), 5.45x39, 7.62x39

anyone have experience with the soviet 5,45x39mm? i was thinking about buying and ak74 cahmbered for that round since its cheaper than the 7.62x39m my sks fires.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
So you're basicly looking at an AK-74. It's a smaller high velocity round that was developed because of pressure (i.e. the Americans use a small high velocity round, why don't we?).

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Cz.;1666923 said:
A fluted barrel is stiffer than a regular barrel, which will provide better harmonics/accuracy. One thing to note is that it will only be stiffer than a barrel of equal weight, a heavier barrel will be stiffer. IE: An barrel with all things equal besides fluting cuts, the non-fluted version will be stiffer.

The tests that I've seen which involved cutting a 22" barrel down inch by inch and firing groups showed no real difference in accuracy. There was a change in the bullet's velocity.

The AK was designed with loose tolerances which is where it gets it's reliability from, this in turn affects the accuracy.

Sorry but that's an urban legend...flutes do not make the barrel stiffer nor do they help cooling....infact they do more damage than good! Removing material is removing material and it's never a good thing! That's like saying a block of aluminum is weaker than an aluminum heat sink of equal outside dimension.

Math tells no lies...flutes look cool nothing more:)

Smartparts

Dec 14, 2010
CT
gaboonviper85;1668428 said:
Sorry but that's an urban legend...flutes do not make the barrel stiffer nor do they help cooling....infact they do more damage than good! Removing material is removing material and it's never a good thing! That's like saying a block of aluminum is weaker than an aluminum heat sink of equal outside dimension.

Math tells no lies...flutes look cool nothing more:)

Using your same example, that's like saying a block of aluminum cools better than a heatsink of equal outside dimension. It is surface area that cools, fluting increases surface area.

137062d1270861318-gun-thread-gedc0z025.jpg

My first two guns, I bought an HK USP Tactical in .45 when I turned 21. It was my only gun until March 2010 when I got into guns again. I bought a GSG-5. Because of where I live there aren't many areas to shoot. I can shoot the GSG indoors and I have a good time with it. I just consider it a range toy.

139077d1273028866-gun-thread-foh2.jpg

Then I bought a SCAR. Thing is cool. Still haven't shot it yet. I've had it for about 10 months now. Cool way to waste $2100.

148699d1282100707-gun-thread-image.jpeg

I went to a gun show and bought a mosin nagant and ak74. Pictured is the AK with a russian starlight night vision scope. The thing works surprisingly well for old technology.

145801d1279584749-gun-thread-img_3588.jpg

Those started my love for all things soviet. I bought a "krinkov" parts kit as a winter project. I had to have one because of how rare they are now, and the lack of new imported kits.

141959d1275948105-gun-thread-photo.jpg

I fall victim to the media scare tactics. I tend to buy things preemptively thinking they will soon become banned. Here is the FN Fiveseven I bought this summer. It's my favorite carry pistol.

141960d1275948105-gun-thread-gedc0058.jpg

My AK with no accessories on it. Wood is the cleanest I've ever seen.

140645d1274482150-gun-thread-gedc0053.jpg

Bought myself a PSL for my birthday. One of my favorite rifles that I own.

139159d1273110516-gun-thread-gedc0031.jpg

My mosin nagant. My favorite rifle. Cost $100.

150133d1283637099-gun-thread-2010-09-04_17-19-15_398.jpg

I think this is my last gun, AR-15 Pistol, with aimpoint comp m2. Fun to shoot this at the range and the look on everyone's face

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Using your same example, that's like saying a block of aluminum cools better than a heatsink of equal outside dimension. It is surface area that cools, fluting increases surface area.

It's effects are marginal...not worth the removal of metal....you may think that it "cools" more but the facts are that the areas cut away heat up faster and cause more negative issues than good!

1 Flutes do not make the barrel stiffer.
2 They do not cool it better infact you can over heat one much faster than a bull barrel on equal diameter as it has more material to absorb heat
3 fluted barrels have more harmonics which is bad
4 fluting doesn't save much weight...maybe .5 pounds if that.

Flutes look good...that is all they are good for. It's simple math...yes surface area generally means strength and cooling but that's only if it can be increased without the removal of material....similar concept is rolling paper into a tube and see how much weight it can hold....if you put several folds in the paper it will hold more weight but that's without removing material and increasing surface area!

If fluting was worth it then all heavy machine guns such as the 1919 and m2 would be fluted...infact all military rifles would be fluted but the facts are that flutes are pure bunk and not worth a damn!

You can argue till you're blue in the face but math doesn't lie and people are suckers!

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly

Miss read your post....seems we agree lol...my bad.

Smartparts

Dec 14, 2010
CT
gaboonviper85;1668465 said:
It's effects are marginal...not worth the removal of metal....you may think that it "cools" more but the facts are that the areas cut away heat up faster and cause more negative issues than good!

1 Flutes do not make the barrel stiffer.
2 They do not cool it better infact you can over heat one much faster than a bull barrel on equal diameter as it has more material to absorb heat
3 fluted barrels have more harmonics which is bad
4 fluting doesn't save much weight...maybe .5 pounds if that.

Flutes look good...that is all they are good for. It's simple math...yes surface area generally means strength and cooling but that's only if it can be increased without the removal of material....similar concept is rolling paper into a tube and see how much weight it can hold....if you put several folds in the paper it will hold more weight but that's without removing material and increasing surface area!

If fluting was worth it then all heavy machine guns such as the 1919 and m2 would be fluted...infact all military rifles would be fluted but the facts are that flutes are pure bunk and not worth a damn!

You can argue till you're blue in the face but math doesn't lie and people are suckers!

1.) You aren't making equal comparisons. A 16oz bull barrel will not be as rigid as a 16 oz fluted barrel
2.)steel is steel. Heat conductivity isn't changing a fluted barrel heats and cools faster than a bull barrel
3.)not sure what proof there is of harmonic differences or how it affects anything
4.)fluting saves weight and affects balance of the rifle

Your analogies ddont make sense. Rolling a paper and seeing how much weight it can support and taking the same sheet and folding it shouldn't affect surface area lol. Its still the same sheet of paper. Im assuming you meant to fold the paper like an acordian and connect the ends rather than just connect the ends.
I wouldn't call the math simple but it definitely proves otherwise. Take a motorcycle engine block that's aircooled. Are you trying to say that it would cool better if the fins cut into the block instead weren't cut and were filled in instead?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Smartparts, AWESOME collection, that starlight scope is cool as hell.

Also, on the fluting issue, it's the same arguement as aluminum vs steel. Aluminum is twice as strong as steel for the same weight. It's less dense, so the item has to be made BIGGER as aluminum, but it still weighs less.

Comparing the same size barrel blanks that are used to make one fluted and one normal barrel, the normal one will be stronger, but significantly heavier. If a larger fluted barrel is made of the same weight, it will be significantly stronger than the normal barrel. So, you'll be able to get a happy medium in the center that gives you a lighter barrels with more strength.

The issue that arises in marketing and companies fluting barrels "because it's cool" instead of their technical benefits. As always, buyer beware.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Finished up an update to my Colt "Match Target" rifle:

Colt AR-15 Match Target 03.jpg

Colt AR-15 Match Target 04.jpg

Specs:
- Lothar Walther 18 1/2" stainless steel barrel, 1-8 twist, Wylde chamber and matched bolt. Modified V-Tac barrel for Ops Inc suppressor collar w/ Ops Inc compatible Vortex flash hider
- ARMS S.I.R. #59M handguard - rifle length
- Bravo Company “Gunfighter” tactical charging handle
- KNS Gen 2 stainless anti-rotation hammer/trigger pins
- MagPul UBR stock w/ CAR 15 XH buffer and MOE grip
- Young Machine Match Bolt carrier, bolt, and JP speed hammer - boron nitrite coated
- JP Match trigger group tuned to a 4# pull
- Upper, lower, flash hider, and all controls coated with Cerekote H series. Controls, flash hider, OPS Inc collar and upper receiver rail is Graphite Black to match - remaining parts of upper and lower are Tactical Grey.
- PRI hooded front sight/gas block, ARMS #40L-P rear sight
- IOR Valdada 4x14x50 30mm Tactical Scope, Illuminated MP-8 reticule, target knobs. ARMS #19A w/ IOR STANAG rings

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
I finally am very near to completing my first AR(thanks jdub for some pointers). I just need my stock to complete it now, until then it is the naked butt AR.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

p1673202_1.jpg

Nothing fancy.
Yankee hill machine lower, DPMS parts, spikes tactical trigger guard, spikes buffer, magpul MOE grip.
Spikes tactical 16" 5.56 upper with magpul MOE handguards and primary arms red dot sight.
Ton of 30rd pmags and GI mags.

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
Has anybody shot one of these? Might be a good Zombie killer...anything else would probably be overkill. Saw it on the Military Channel while studying.

http://www.gunblast.com/50Beowulf.htm

Since it's my first post in this thread, I also have a Taurus PT-945 and Taurus PT-99AF. I love the feel of the 99AF since the grip is a little wider than the the .45's, but I still like the .45 itself.

Smartparts

Dec 14, 2010
CT
CPT Furious;1676422 said:
Has anybody shot one of these? Might be a good Zombie killer...anything else would probably be overkill. Saw it on the Military Channel while studying.

Since it's my first post in this thread, I also have a Taurus PT-945 and Taurus PT-99AF. I love the feel of the 99AF since the grip is a little wider than the the .45's, but I still like the .45 itself.

My friend had a 50 beowulf upper. He let me shoot it and it kicked hard. It was cool, but not something I'd want to own. I had enough shooting it 5 times.

87mk111

Metal Head
Sep 29, 2009
akron/canton, ohio
CPT Furious;1676422 said:

that 50 seems overkill for pretty much everything

Status
Not open for further replies.