The Mistress

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
Dual relays/fuses splitting the load would probably work too. I run a single 30/40 amp relay and I upgraded to a large heavy duty fuse that looks just like the black one pictured, but it's about 3 times the size of a normal one, Lordco has them.
978-988.jpg

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I always replace things to have piece of mind. Fresh rebuild that I drove 500 miles, I decided to pull it back out and go forged. Had new water and oil pump, but I sti replaced them even though they only had 500 miles.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Well, I've put in a new relay for the now, and I'm in the process of hunting down some waterproof gear for peace of mind. Also installed the TRD thermostat last night, and I'll probably flush the coolant system and replace it with Toyota Red for the winter.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
GrimJack;1620738 said:
Well, I've put in a new relay for the now, and I'm in the process of hunting down some waterproof gear for peace of mind. Also installed the TRD thermostat last night, and I'll probably flush the coolant system and replace it with Toyota Red for the winter.

toyota red is not as good as reg green coolent its carsive but nto as bad as ac delco
that shit is nasty

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Brand new block, 4000 Km's with green and you could feel the corrision on the deck with a fingernail.

35000 Km's with Toyota Red and a fresh deck NO SIGN of corrosion at all still shiny from the surface job on the blank steam holes.

YMMV but these are my findings not something I'm pulling out of my ass...

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I like the Organic Acid Tech in the Toyota red... lasts far longer than traditional corrosion inhibitors. 2 years vs 5 years. I don't care about the possible issues with copper, I've always run aluminum radiators anyway.

Of course, you have to drive your car quite a bit to see the return on investment, but as you all know, I drive mine literally every day, in all weather conditions, and no, it doesn't live in a heated garage in the winter, either, so I do need some real protection against cold. It doesn't freeze here often, but it does happen.

I've been tempted to try the Mercedes G-05, but I've had such good luck with the Toyota red, and it's so easy to get, why switch?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Grim, how much does Toyota Red go for in your area? I just picked some up here and it was $29.50/gallon. I thought I remembered it being more like $20, butI haven't bought any in a few years.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
IJ.;1620759 said:
Brand new block, 4000 Km's with green and you could feel the corrision on the deck with a fingernail.

35000 Km's with Toyota Red and a fresh deck NO SIGN of corrosion at all still shiny from the surface job on the blank steam holes.

YMMV but these are my findings not something I'm pulling out of my ass...

my dad taco had some issue wiht toy red ate away but the water pump

and on teh 4x4 forum sasy it form useing toyota red

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
NashMan;1621123 said:
my dad taco had some issue wiht toy red ate away but the water pump

and on teh 4x4 forum sasy it form useing toyota red

I posted MY findings after testing both why would I lie?

I don't have Toyota stock or sell Toyota coolant.... :nono:

Green ate the FUCK out of the iron block Red didn't end of story.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
Poodles;1621134 said:
Or using cheap water pumps with cast impellers.

stock i am not saying your lieing ian

there is many diffetn type of green coolent

i tend to use the stuff made for deisles to helpt stop cavatationDiesel coolants

Diesels have special needs when it comes to antifreezes. A lot of this has to do with the fact that diesel engines vibrate. This fact can be made worse if the engine design has sleeves, like cylinder sleeves. These are also called cylinder liners. The solid particles in the antifreeze (silicates) get in between the sleeves, and cause pitting. Silicates exist because they clean deposits through the abrasive action they produce while traveling through the cooling system. They also seal up small holes.

To solve this issue, antifreezes come in 'diesel' versions. The recipe varies, but basically they just lower the level of the silicates.

The additives will sit in ethylene glycol (EG) and propylene glycol (PG). Their is no difference, except that propylene glycol costs more and is much more environmentally friendly...it won't kill the cats when they come over and lick up some that got spilt on the floor.( Your neighbors will thank you ;-)

The above basically deals with conventional coolants. We now have extended service, long life coolants. These coolants have been used for a long time in Europe and are based on organic acids. They are more friendly to the environment, and are easier to recycle. Since they don't contain phosphates, nitrites, silicates etc...you don't have to worry about special diesel versions. Not all OATs coolants are the same though. The ASTM has developed tests to make sure that these coolants will last the 5 years they are supposed to last. Make sure that the brand your using meets these specs. See the Texaco document below to get an idea of what kind of things you should be looking for. Some organic acid long life coolants are actually a hybrid of the two types and contain silicates. Also some organic acid coolants CAN NOT be mixed with conventional coolants, they will form a gel - check for a warning on the product.

I'm going to add more to this section as I learn more myself.

just one small thingi grabbed form the net

Last edited:

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
So, you like coolant designed for diesel cars or engines with cylinder liners? What's the advantage there? The Supra isn't diesel, and none of the Supra engines have cylinder liners, what else does this formula bring to the table?

Toyota red is an organic acid based coolant, specifically designed for bi-metal iron / aluminum engines, and offers a life expectancy of at least 5 years for the anti-corrosion additive packs. This obviously has a lot of benefits.

If the diesel formula has more advantages - other than price - I'd like to know, because I'll seriously consider switching.