The infamous 1jz breakup: tried alot, getting no where

kornfedmk3

Dec 9, 2011
des moines, IA
here is the weird thing about it. there is 5 wires. two of them are identical and are wrapped together but one is not connected. I am confused on what it is.

kornfedmk3

Dec 9, 2011
des moines, IA
still can't figure out what the wire is for or what it goes to. so I might have to pull the harness out and check everything out. does anyone have a idea to where the wire might be from or where it goes?

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
The plug has 4 wires used so verify they are connected properly to the right places. The extra wire was connected to the noise filter,don't worry about it, cap and stow it if you don't have the filter.

Last edited:

kornfedmk3

Dec 9, 2011
des moines, IA
Finally got a brand new igniter today put it on the car and still have the problem. this is becoming such a pain to figure out i don't know what else to do besides check the wiring harness.

kornfedmk3

Dec 9, 2011
des moines, IA
Ever since i replaced the igniter i noticed that i can rev it up higher to atleast 5k but on its way up after 4k it studders a little bit like its misfiring then once it hits about 5k it just falls on its face. starting to think it has to deal with the coils or my spark plugs. i pulled the coils out yesterday and looked under the boot and didnt see any cracks but for some reason my spark plugs look lean kind of white. maybe i should post another video. 4 of my coil clips also are broke just the part that snaps in they plug in good and feel snug but i dont have to push down on the clip to disconnect them. any advice would be appreciated i really want to get this car running 100%

kornfedmk3

Dec 9, 2011
des moines, IA
Found out that my spark plugs are fine and lowered the gap on the plugs so now the car maybe hiccups once between 4-5k then once it hits 5k exactly it just breaks up and wont go any higher then that. Is there a way to check the coils other then cracks? there isn't any cracks i pulled them out 3 times and checked them very carefully, the spark plugs don't look lean anymore then look fine. Thinking about checking my grounds. What are all the grounds that should be on the car? Since im throwing code 52 I'm doing a rewire today with coaxial cable. I think I will do it right fingers cross.

Still when I'm in neutral free reving i can't go past 4k i don't understand why?? I had a friend rev it while i listened by the exhaust when it started to break up and bounce like a rev limiter I about caught on fire cause it backfired and shot a big ass flame out the exhaust. I really want to figure this thing out I'm tired of the whole cant rev it out thing. I have decided that im redoing my wire harness for a winter project i have way to many plugs under the hood that i have no idea where they go! literally found another TPS connector laying under the hood! i have no idea why or how it's there.

Need some help guys! anyone have any other recommendations on what else to check?? you think maybe i have a coil wired backwards? it does have a slight miss everyonce in awhile when i start it up you can hear it miss sometimes.

525gte

Sep 19, 2011
hoquiam
What plugs and gap did you end up running? And since you getting a code 52 have you ckeaked that the knock sensor wiring is good and not broken at the clips?

kornfedmk3

Dec 9, 2011
des moines, IA
Figured out my rear knock sensor was unplugged. plugged it in now all i got is code 14. Im running cheap ngk cooper plugs 6s. I've checked the coils didn't see any cracks. but i do get a miss when i start the car up a slight miss then it goes away kind of. I set the gap to .26 was at .28 but wanted to try it lower. no difference.

Just read a thread and this guy had the same issue and has the same soarer harness as me and he fixed his problem by grounding the NSW/STA WIRES. Where are these wires????? think this might be my problem!

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/tech-conversions/63538-1jzgte-missfire-running-bad-higher-rpm.html what i read that solved the same problem with my car.

Last edited:

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
kornfedmk3;1952080 said:
Figured out my rear knock sensor was unplugged. plugged it in now all i got is code 14. Im running cheap ngk cooper plugs 6s. I've checked the coils didn't see any cracks. but i do get a miss when i start the car up a slight miss then it goes away kind of. I set the gap to .26 was at .28 but wanted to try it lower. no difference.

Just read a thread and this guy had the same issue and has the same soarer harness as me and he fixed his problem by grounding the NSW/STA WIRES. Where are these wires????? think this might be my problem!

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/tech-conversions/63538-1jzgte-missfire-running-bad-higher-rpm.html what i read that solved the same problem with my car.

That would be a problem in a supra as the NSW wire and the STA wire will have 12 Volts on them through the ignition switch and if you short those wires to ground you will blow the 40A FL AM1 fuse when you start cranking the car. The vehicle in the thread you posted is a Toyota Landcruiser.

kornfedmk3

Dec 9, 2011
des moines, IA
Well i decided since i h ave a soarer harnesses to check and see if i had the NSW and STA wires so i found them and grounded them out and bam !!! i can rev my 1jz all the way out now!!! no more breaking up runs smooth! thank you everyone for all the great advice and helping ne out with this really long thread! i think its about time to put this thread to sleep now lol.

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
Apparently the STA wire sees a ground all the time through the Starter relay and the NSW wire sends 12 volts to the starter from the ECU when the soarer transmission is in park or nuetral through a logic circuit in the ECU. So your starter circuit must have been wired up differently where it would crank without this circuit. I'm not sure how this effects the ECU ignition circuit but I am glad it is fixed.