The infamous 1jz breakup: tried alot, getting no where

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
So i have the break up, anywhere between 3500-4k rpm's. My codes are 14, 24, 31, 42... Ignition, Map Sensor, Intake air temp sensor and speed sensor. Started checking for boost leaks, did a boost leak check and didn't find anything. Then looked at my coils, they were cracked so I got them replaced with some without cracks. Spark plugs are gapped correct and all look perfect. Sent the ecu in to driftmotion to get it repaired. Emailed Aaron to see how it was and he said all of the ones he has done recently have had leaking caps... Tried 2 map sensors out still the same problem. The weird part is, my boost gauge (a cheapy from auto zone, sunpro) does not read boost. I messed with some vac. lines while I was doing the boost leak check and I got it to read 10lbs. 1 pull and then after that nothing. It still was breaking up during the pull, I messed with it more and I managed to get it to read again for only 1 pull over and over... I read about bent fuel lines, they are all stock and I took a quick look last night and didn't see any bent.
My question is, first of all my harness has the wrong plug for the intake air temp sensor (Soarer harness, Supra motor), and is not plugged in. I know I need to have it plugged in and I am getting a plug for it, but at the moment I wasn't sure if that could be the problem? Other than that I was looking for any other suggestions before I buy an ECU. The only friend of mine who has a 1jz is using a mines ecu for a supra harness... I do not know of anyone else in Iowa with a 1jz ecu I could borrow to test it. I believe I have the only running 1jz in Iowa, or at least Des Moines.

Thanks,
James

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
try to solve the codes first then proceed to solve the sputtering/breakup

14, 24, 31, 42

14: Ignition Signal ( Check the IGF wires on the igniter )

Diagnosis
No "IGF" signal to ECU "A" times in succession.
A = 6-8 (7M-GE)
A= 3 (7M-GTE)
Trouble Area
Igniter and ignition coil circuit
Igniter and ignition coil
ECU

24: Intake air Temp Sensor Signal ( Located in the middle of the 1JZ intake manifold, check connector & wires)

Diagnosis
Open or short circuit in intake air temp sensor signal (THA).
Trouble Area
Intake air temp sensor circuit
Intake air temp sensor
ECU

31: Air Flow Meter Signal --- ( Map sensor, look at the connect for the MAP and make sure its secure, check wires)

Diagnosis
(7M-GE) Open circuit in VC signal or short circuit between VS and E2 when idle contacts are closed.
(7M-GTE) Open or short circuit in air flow meter signal.
Trouble Area
Air flow meter circuit
Air flow meter
ECU

42: Vehicle Speed Sensor Signal ( To get rid of this check the PINK wire by the ECU or discard )

Diagnosis
No "SPD" signal to ECU for 8 seconds when engine speed is between 2,500RPM and 4,500RPM (7M-GE) or 4,000RPM (7M-GTE) and coolant temp is below 80°C(176°F) and neutral start switch is off.
Trouble Area
Vehicle speed sensor circuit
Vehicle speed sensor
ECU

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
I do need to check all the wires. I have tried 2 map sensors and unplugged them while it was running and it almost died, so I'm guessing that means its doing its job?
The igniter is grounded good, seemed to be working alright, when I unplug the 4 wire plug it died so once again to my knowledge Iwould think it would be ok.... is the four wire plug to the ignitor the IGF wires? I will have to find a diagram to the plugs and check it over. I did not wire the harness just helped out but I do remember when we were wiring in the plugs I had bought he was a little confused at first and first attempt it did not start so I will double check that.
As for the intake temp sensor I am looking for a plug at the moment.
Thank you

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
I do need to check all the wires. I have tried 2 map sensors and unplugged them while it was running and it almost died, so I'm guessing that means its doing its job?
The igniter is grounded good, seemed to be working alright, when I unplug the 4 wire plug it died so once again to my knowledge Iwould think it would be ok.... is the four wire plug to the ignitor the IGF wires? I will have to find a diagram to the plugs and check it over. I did not wire the harness just helped out but I do remember when we were wiring in the plugs I had bought he was a little confused at first and first attempt it did not start so I will double check that.
As for the intake temp sensor I am looking for a plug at the moment.
Thank you

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Couple things:

-Punctuation. It will go a long way to getting help if you space things out a bit more, as nobody likes it when a wall of text hits for 2d12 of damage...

-Spark plug gap. What are yours set at? That was one of the two problems I've run into with my setup. :)

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
Thanks, that makes sense, I wasnt sure exactly what it was until the code came up, I'll make sure to do that.

Yes I noticed that after it was posted thinking no one is ever going to read all of that! Did not look as big on my phone, thanks to all of you that did reply.

They are gapped at .028, and all of them golden brown. I was hoping it would just be the spark plugs, I have checked them numerous times.

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
No actually I don't. My buddy is running a Mines ecu, for a supra harness. Thats why I was needing some more opinions on the subject before I bought one. I opened up my ecu the other day and it looked like it has never been touched, I couldn't find anything out of the ordinary...

I had sent it in to aaron to have it looked at and was charged for the repair, but I did not see anything different from when I sent it in. I emailed and asked him if he had done anything and he said all of the ecu's he had done recently had bad caps... So who knows, I didn't know if there was a way of testing it or not.

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
No actually I don't. My buddy is running a Mines ecu, for a supra harness. Thats why I was needing some more opinions on the subject before I bought one. I opened up my ecu the other day and it looked like it has never been touched, I couldn't find anything out of the ordinary...

I had sent it in to aaron to have it looked at and was charged for the repair, but I did not see anything different from when I sent it in. I emailed and asked him if he had done anything and he said all of the ecu's he had done recently had bad caps... So who knows, I didn't know if there was a way of testing it or not.

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
My buddy, who I work with every day, keeps "forgetting" to bring the plug... So I have not got to that yet, I even told him I would come get it with cash! Eventually I will get it and let you all know what happens from there.

Joe, what is the pin-out on the ecu? I'm not sure if a chaser ecu will work for a soarer harness.

CRsupraiii

Oct 24, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Honestly I have no clue man... I sent my harness to Phoenix Tuning cuz I didn't want to fuck with any of that (or as little as possible... Who are we kidding here).

I can send pics or whatever you need man.

- Joe
Sent from my iPhone

Radial

Aug 20, 2011
Norway
All the JZX90 JDM 1JZ-GTE (non-VVTi) ECU's (Mark2, Chaser & Cressida) will fit on a JDM soarer (non VVT-i) harness. Plugs and system layout is identical.

The PowerFC for the JZX90 and Soarer is sold as the same unit as well :)

JZZ30:
images

JZX90:
images

CRsupraiii

Oct 24, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Thanks a ton Radial!!!

Sounds like I need to get my whip running and drive it down to Des Moines so you can try out the ECU broski!

- Joe
Sent from my iPhone

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
The wires on the connector I have from my friend has brown and green wires, the spot for the plug on my harness has brown and yellow w/ black stripe. Well I wired it anyways to try it out, brown to brown green to the yellow. Plugged it in, plugged my ecu back in and turned it on, checked codes before the test drive and it was blinking real fast, no pause.. not sure what that means?

I unplugged the sensor and plugged it back in and ran the codes and came up within 24 again. Test drove and still cuts out.

Might be a stupid question but are they the wrong wires? There was a plug in place of what i had thought to be the IAT sensors plug, I cut off and replaced with the right plug I was given...thinking it may have been the wrong plug being a sparer harness to an original supra motor?? Sorry if I sound stupid, wiring isn't my thing...

Thank you Radial for clearing that up

Yes Joe that would be awesome, would be nice to meet another supra owner as well.

Yes Joe, that would be all around great, to see your supra as well I could get ahold of everyone I know

Radial

Aug 20, 2011
Norway
The JDM JZX/JZZ harness har no extra plug on the ECU side, but the US Supra has one separate connector as far as i know, And the wiring is some sort of different due to this.

But if the car has been working before, and since you now say you got no error-codes, exept the ones you trigger yourself by removing connectors..... I would suggest six new NGK BKR6ES plugs.