The First Car

S

Sparda

Hey guys, well.. i'm about to turn 16 and buying a 89 turbo supra. Since i am 16 and this will be my first car, this will be my DD car. I dont really know the history of the supra i am buying yet, but i do know that it just got a engine rebuild with about 5k miles on it. I plan on taking great care of it but i am worried about it failing on me. Am i stupid to pick the 7m-gte as a first car? And 2nd... how much gas does the 7mgte eat? I love the supra, and i hope its everything i want it to be.
thanks guys

solid400

Apr 8, 2005
Atlanta GA
I get 16 mpg driving around downtown Atlanta, but I show off a lot too so that might have something to do with it. Oh and thats on premium too.

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
ouch, the supra is a great car but be careful with her. it is a bit of a pig as far as maintenance goes. it also likes to suck back gas. all i can say is take care of this care of this car andit will take care of you! good luck with your new baby!!! :icon_bigg

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
Sparda said:
.. i'm about to turn 16 and buying a 89 turbo supra.

Does anyone but me get a cold shiver down there spine when they read this?
No potential for trouble here...no waaaaay!

If would have had a Supra turbo at 16 I can just about guarantee you I'd never have made it to 17!

mcpcola

7M's = Peoples Champ
Jul 4, 2005
Greater Gulf Coast
suprabad said:

If would have had a Supra turbo at 16 I can just about guarantee you I'd never have made it to 17!

That is a general statement while most n86 modelcar or do not take care while driving that cause the bad accidents. My first car was a turbo 200sx 1986 i never had any accidents in it and learn quick to respect it. As for a good first car a non turbo car would be best as you need to learn how to work on them and maintain them before getting such a high maintaince car

$pecialk91Turbo

Apr 10, 2005
Tampa
My '89T was my first car.. I threw it into a wall right before I turned 18. lol

Some advice:

-Buy good tires

-Save AT LEAST $1,000 for repairs before you mod

-Learn to use the "search" button before attempting to do anything to the car. There is a write-up on just about everything.

-Do NOT do a top speed run... you WILL die. (I was lucky)

Good Luck

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
What, F-bodies are reliable now???

And stock supras are fast???

The first poster asks about reliability and gas mileage. The Supra is not first car that comes to mind. Regardless of make or manufacturer, newer cars are always going to be more reliable.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
$pecialk91Turbo said:
-Save for repairs before you mod

x eleventy billion!

you want to start with a good, SOLID platform before you do anything to modify the performance or look of the car. (aside from things that MUST be done, get it running properly, replace all the engine bay hoses, flush the coolant, change the oil and filter etc...

-shaeff

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
I was 16 when I got my Supra. Word of advice, to keep your butt outta trouble don't rev past 4k. I was careful with my car but careful for a 16 year old is wreckless for anyone else. I got lucky a few times, Someone was really watching out for me. Just be careful, get to know and respect the car.

EDIT: YES, save some money for repairs!

Furball

Yes, I play Halo
Apr 2, 2005
Merced, CA
The Supra was my first car, I was 18 almost 19. I have driven it daily for over 3 years now. Change the oil when you are supposed to, don't beat the heck out of it, BE CAREFUL IN THE RAIN or you will soon find yourself sideways. Though it is no fun, I suggest you only do general maitenence on it for a year or two. Stay off modding it. Learn as much as possible about it, then when you have experience working on your car and driving it, then you can mod. Take things slow. I know at this stage in life going fast (and maybe a little showing off) is what comes to mind first, but don't go with your first impulse. With some maturity in the mix a Supra can be a great first car. If the maturity is lacking, then at least the Supra is a tank and can take a mean beating in crashes, might just save your life.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
suprabad said:

got mine 6 months after i turned 16, yea 18 now and still have all of my limbs. its just knowing you limits, what kept me from killing myself in it was the fact i payed for every cent so the temptation to redline it went WAY down.

dont test your limits on public streets man, just dont do it cus when you go beyond your driving skill this car kicks you in the face hard.

btw sparda, get ready to bum rides, it will be an amazing car and you will probably woop most of your friends, but your gonna be spending more $$ and more hours under the hood than anyone else.

kwnate

Lurker
Jul 10, 2005
None of your fucking business
Has anyone ever heard off snap oversteer? I hadn't til I experienced it... Respect the car, don't show off and you should be fine. A turbo supra in the hands of an inexperienced driver is very dangerous. I managed to put my accord into a wall when I was 16, then 2 years later I spun my old 89 and fucked up the rear quarter panel showing off, Man did I look stupid. Save your messing around for an autocross event where you can really test the limits in a safe area. If you a stupid and injure or kill an innocent person expect to not drive for a long time. You'll be fine as long as you resist temptation. good luck

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
a local kid, aged 16 i believe, bought an 89T off a freind of mine. 2 days later he spun it into a telephone pole while driving the speed limit on a wet patch of highway. dead on impact.

i dont think a first car should be the kids choice. yes, they should suggest what they want, but its up to the parents to be responsible and say "no we dont think your ready for that kind of car".

$pecialk91Turbo

Apr 10, 2005
Tampa
Enraged said:
a local kid, aged 16 i believe, bought an 89T off a freind of mine. 2 days later he spun it into a telephone pole while driving the speed limit on a wet patch of highway. dead on impact.

i dont think a first car should be the kids choice. yes, they should suggest what they want, but its up to the parents to be responsible and say "no we dont think your ready for that kind of car".

When I threw mine into a wall, the road was wet. It hadn't been raining, it was wet from sprinklers. I was going a little fast and I tapped my brakes when I hit the water and lost it. Now I could recover easily in that situation, but at the time I stabbed the brakes and turned the wheel back and forth. lol... Exactly what not to do.

hot dayam mk3

Oct 17, 2005
my first car was my supra with no engine. when i was 16.... it slept still i work and saved money for a new motor til i was 17.... then waited again til i was 18 cuz i finally was legal to drive... and now im 20 and im still saving up cuz i blew two motors. and yet the supra is still my car and only car.... til it becomes salvage.

Mr.SelfDestruct

I build planes... yeah...
May 27, 2005
everett, WA
well, if you buy the car near winter, you'll learn quick enough how to control a slide... that or you'll need new wheels, and maybe tie rods, or control arms... yea, pretty much learn quick or be prepared to have an empty wallet. thats how I learned how to drift, and now I love it. just remember to drive at a speed you feel comfortable at, that way you'll be able to control the car easier than if you were going too fast.

ToyoHabu

Jun 25, 2005
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
There was a supra in a local impound lot here locally, it was banana shaped, turns out it had flipped on roof slid backwards into a ditch causing the body to bend and unfortunately for the front passenger and the two in the rear it was the end of the road. I have no idea how the driver could live with that. They where all 16 and good friends. I think parents should take a careful look at the maturity of there child before making the decision on what car they should drive.