The 87 Gay Blue Project

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
Supra's are like lost puppies. They follow you home, you get attached, and then you can't get rid of them.

p1521510_1.jpg

What sucks is that just a couple of weeks ago I got rid of all my supra parts I had in storage for next to nothing.:nono:

Ok, so I see this 87 on Craigslist and told myself I just had to go take a look at it. Next thing you know, it's mine.
1987 Turbo, Targa, 5-speed shell. No engine or tranny, but a shitload of parts that Gary gave me with the car. Buldozr is the previous owner.
Got a little damage on the passenger door I'm going to have to deal with but overal a beautiful car, inside and out.

p1521510_2.jpg

p1521510_3.jpg

Something about the ass of a pre-89 that does it for me.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

p1521510_4.jpg

Ouch! Douchebags broke into the car to steal the head unit. Not sure how I'm going to fix that yet, but I will.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Ok, and so the day after I give him some money I go to a secret junkyard of mine, and low and behold, they've got an 87 turbo five speed that just came off the truck. Told them I wanted that engine and tranny. A few days later, I go back and have them crank it. It purred like a kitten. Nonetheless, it's a used 7M, therefore it will be rebuilt. Anyway, I had to borrow a buddies truck, a Dodge Ram 3/4 ton diesel. Love that truck. When I pulled the car home from Dallas, I could not even tell it was behind me.

Truck sits so damn high, I was afraid I wouldn't be able to lift it out of the bed.

p1521510_5.jpg

p1521510_6.jpg

But I got it out and it's resting comfortably until I can dismantle everything and haul it off to the shop.

p1521510_7.jpg

Oh, and plans you ask? Well....this ain't going to be any kind of luxo-cruiser. ;)

Last edited:

RPSil13

Nov 30, 2006
Anaheim, CA
what a steal,

looks like sometimes things just fall into place

whats the plans for the car?

i would just shave the door handle on the pass side or replace whole door

87mk111

Metal Head
Sep 29, 2009
akron/canton, ohio
I agree with the whole Supras being like strays thing. Mine had been sitting in a barn/shed thing for about 5 years, the the previous owner put a rebuilt 7mge in it and I bought it.

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!

:boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies:

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Glad to see you progressing..............not regressing! Please tell me you didn't pull it up onto a trailer with that red strap!

I hate the ass end of the pre 89, but that's just me. I do have a driver's side pre89 tail light with a BB hole in it. Swap the motor from the 91 into it, and sell me the shell. I want a blue Supra badly.

And since he's in here.....just yesterday my son was playing with the voice commands on my phone. It always asks if you said something totally different. He's asking it to call all types of young boy words. I swear to God he said call butthole...........and the phone replies back in Yougoslavian female voice....Did you say call Kwa-Nate. I almost ran over a stop sign laughing.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
RPSil13;1521545 said:
what a steal,

looks like sometimes things just fall into place

whats the plans for the car?

Yeah, it was a steal. I've got my Lexus luxo-cruiser so this will be my hot rod.

kwnate;1521550 said:
ewww gross. If you still have the 91 I'll let it slide.

sweet angle mount on the exhaust.

Ewww?? So what if it's a GAY blue pre 89. I do still have the 91...for now. As soon as this guy gets his income tax return, it's his. Meanwhile, I'm still enjoying it on occasion.

nick88;1521558 said:
I think that you would need a new door, is it gay blue or silver? I have a 88 silver that I would let go for pretty cheap.

Gay blue. I might be able to fix that. My dad is a retired paint/body man.

LilMissMkIII;1521581 said:
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!

:boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies:

Woo Hoo for boobies!!!

ForcedTorque;1521778 said:
Glad to see you progressing..............not regressing! Please tell me you didn't pull it up onto a trailer with that red strap!

I hate the ass end of the pre 89, but that's just me. I do have a driver's side pre89 tail light with a BB hole in it. Swap the motor from the 91 into it, and sell me the shell. I want a blue Supra badly.

No Scott, I did not pull it 70 miles through Dallas and Fort Worth with a red strap, lol. I got a u-haul car trailer. That red strap was to keep the hood closed.

Not taking anything off the 91 for this. I'm going to start with a fresh engine. Thinking seriously about going the lex/550 route. The first goal is 300+ rwhp to start.:evil2: Then go up from there.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Well today the sun finally came out and it was warm. So I decided I would begin TLC portion of this build and clean up and put back together the interior. I had to get a multfunction switch and radio bezel from the junkyard.

Soooo. Before.

p1522195_1.jpg

After: I'm pretty pleased with how well the car cleaned up.

p1522195_2.jpg

p1522195_3.jpg

p1522195_4.jpg

p1522195_5.jpg

p1522195_6.jpg

p1522195_7.jpg

p1522195_8.jpg

Engine bay will need some TLC also.

p1522195_9.jpg

And the best picture for last!!:biglaugh:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Tgood

All throttle no bottle
Dec 16, 2005
ennis/dfw
Damn ken you bought another one. its good to see another local guy thats still in the supra game. If you need anything let me know. I may be able to help

yankiwi

Aug 27, 2005
DFW
Jeez Ken, I stop paying attention for a while and you do all this buying and selling....

So lemme get this straight.... You sell the pretty blue one, get a pimp mobile Lexus, then realize you gotta have a fun car so get a gay blue 87T??? Anything else I missed???

Although I know what you're going through.. I had withdrawal symptoms too, and went from 'just looking' to having two 91's in the garage in 3 days.....

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
looks like soemthing good to start with...damn you said a little tlc looks totatlly different...your leather looks pretty good after you cleaned it...hey i got a 87 trbo blue interior and my roof is all leather and im tripping if it used to leather cause my friend with a 89 turbo has cloth top including targa and he has blue cloth interior...well good luck with your build ill be keeping a eye on this thread...haha ; )

Tgood

All throttle no bottle
Dec 16, 2005
ennis/dfw
dubsupra209;1522360 said:
looks like soemthing good to start with...damn you said a little tlc looks totatlly different...your leather looks pretty good after you cleaned it...hey i got a 87 trbo blue interior and my roof is all leather and im tripping if it used to leather cause my friend with a 89 turbo has cloth top including targa and he has blue cloth interior...well good luck with your build ill be keeping a eye on this thread...haha ; )

I have a 87t targa and my top is leather to. Any updates ken?