The 7mgte Bolt-On Turbo Catalog

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
The CT with the larger turbine has the smaller AR housing that that will limit it. The center is the Chinese CX racing style t61 turbo looks like?

Yeah, with the stock actuator on it too well see how much boost itll make. I may upgrade it if its not a lot and might break the 500 mark im looking for with a bit more boost. Though the 60-1 doesn't flow much past 25 psi so well see what itll make. After doing a bit more research it may be a T350 (t3 stage 5) turbine vs the p trim I originally thought.

Its very possible the center is a chinese turbo. it is engraved sc6176 on the compressor cover but thats all I have to go on. I assumed with it being a precision unit (sc6176 is an old precision PN) it may be an old SP unit and the wastegate actuator looks similar to those found online.

suprapilot

Dec 30, 2014
Los Angeles Area
Yeah, with the stock actuator on it too well see how much boost itll make. I may upgrade it if its not a lot and might break the 500 mark im looking for with a bit more boost. Though the 60-1 doesn't flow much past 25 psi so well see what itll make. After doing a bit more research it may be a T350 (t3 stage 5) turbine vs the p trim I originally thought.

Its very possible the center is a chinese turbo. it is engraved sc6176 on the compressor cover but thats all I have to go on. I assumed with it being a precision unit (sc6176 is an old precision PN) it may be an old SP unit and the wastegate actuator looks similar to those found online.

Oh wow then the SP unit you have the is the one to build! Can you tell me if its easy the size of the opening on the SP turbine and the CT that has had the larger turbine? I think the SP is maxed out before no more space left for a gasket if you were to bore it out more. If it were me, I would have the turbo changed to BB and put in a billet compressor and go larger if possible.

suprapilot

Dec 30, 2014
Los Angeles Area
Yeah I saw a select few of their turbos paired with the 8cm.
Don't see it being sold separately though.

Might contact them and see how many options they have available.

Ah I found a sold one...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MAMBA-TOYO...tULU8Q9lziPACfrxwuSDk%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Edit:
Found it. PN: 013-1152
http://www.shop.mambatek.com/search...3D3BDA7C041.p3plqscsfapp006?keywords=013-1152

Buy a Mamba turbine housing and send it to https://www.facebook.com/munroracingturbo/ . This shop is doing amazing stuff on Toyota turbos. I asked him if he could install the center section from an EFR core and it said he could but big $$$ lol

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
I actually contacted mamaba over facebook to see if they would send samples for testing so I could share with the community. They replied and said they would ask then never got back. @ SIV 17 I just picked up a ITS bolt on suprasport turbo no idea on the side but guessing it's a 60-1. I was thinking of sending it to comp to ask them to re-machine the housing to stuff a 64MM in the compressor and see if they could upgrade the turbine with a newer wheel. Haven't had time to do anything on my 91 yet so the turbo sits. Waiting until I finish the 87 in the garage first before I start anything on the 91. Until then I'm just enjoying all 252 WHP of the car haha. 10 years ago I would have shimmed the wastegate as I was picking up the car.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I actually contacted mamaba over facebook to see if they would send samples for testing so I could share with the community. They replied and said they would ask then never got back. @ SIV 17 I just picked up a ITS bolt on suprasport turbo no idea on the side but guessing it's a 60-1. I was thinking of sending it to comp to ask them to re-machine the housing to stuff a 64MM in the compressor and see if they could upgrade the turbine with a newer wheel. Haven't had time to do anything on my 91 yet so the turbo sits. Waiting until I finish the 87 in the garage first before I start anything on the 91. Until then I'm just enjoying all 252 WHP of the car haha. 10 years ago I would have shimmed the wastegate as I was picking up the car.

LMAO. You and about every other 16-30 year old Supra buyer in the early mid-late 2000's (myself included)!

Supra? check
Turbo? check
Boost Controller/washers? check
BHG? ...wait for it...... ok, yeah, check!

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Oh wow then the SP unit you have the is the one to build! Can you tell me if its easy the size of the opening on the SP turbine and the CT that has had the larger turbine? I think the SP is maxed out before no more space left for a gasket if you were to bore it out more. If it were me, I would have the turbo changed to BB and put in a billet compressor and go larger if possible.

hahah, well see.. if the 60-1 reaches my goals thats good enough. I have the 92 to build still for more power if I need. Mainly looking for quick response and fun to drive with this 7m build.

suprapilot

Dec 30, 2014
Los Angeles Area
hahah, well see.. if the 60-1 reaches my goals thats good enough. I have the 92 to build still for more power if I need. Mainly looking for quick response and fun to drive with this 7m build.

Yea me as well. Was thinking just max out the CT base with my Turbonetics. Install BB CHRA and go billet. Maybe even bigger turbine??? I guess if I want to spend 3g or more to do an EFR internals that would be the best you can do.

The other side of me is saying is this real Greddy manifold because it's made much better then the copies when you see all the extras it has. It even has mounting points to install the stock heat shields! It also means I can run a T4 EFR. I guess if I did that then I would weld on mounting points to put the stock turbine housing heat shield.

Last edited:

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
I have started collecting parts to get a new turbo setup in the mid to far future.
Given up on CT-26 upgrades or the strange Mamba setups that may or may not have longevity issues.
There are much better options available now. (Actually the B.W. EFR series has been around for some time, but I am playing catch up ;)

Purchased:
- Bolt on cast T4 log style exhaust manifold. <- Will be slightly machining and modifying this unit.
To Get Yet:
- Borg Warner EFR Turbo

Using this route I can utilize some of the best turbo technology out there currently, as well as simplifying the intake tract and control systems.
Can eliminate the following separate components:
- BOV
- Boost Control Solenoid
- Wastegate

All of these components are integrated into the turbo already, which is excellent for packaging and cost reduction.
They also have provisions to add a speed sensor on the compressor wheel.
Other Features:
- CHRA can be cast or aluminum
- FMW compressor wheels
- Gamma-Ti turbine wheels
- Ceramic BB CHRA
- Option for Twin Scroll Hot Side
- Option for water cooling CHRA

I need to work with B.W. to choose the optimal sized turbo for my goals, they have many to choose from.
Might also take some measurements and determine if a QSV will fit along with a twin scroll, will discuss this with B.W. as well.

Should only need to make new oil / water lines and weld up a new downpipe.

Not trying to give free publicity to B.W., just thoughts on what route I am going.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Spoke with B.W. on the topic for the 7M 3.0L Engine.
For a power goal in the 500RWHP+ range they recommend:
- B2 EFR Frame
- Minimum of 7670
- Twin Scroll .92 A/R

B1 Frame is too small for the 3.0L.
Need to move to the B2 frame, otherwise on the top end the exhaust flow for this displacement engine is going to be choked and limited.

They said it should be at full spool @ 3,000 RPM mark, which is very impressive.
I ran by them the idea of the QSV, but they said it wouldn't make much difference.
These turbos sound very, very responsive for their size.
I was not expecting a 7670 to be able to behave that way.

Anyone here running an EFR turbo by chance?
Want to chime in with their experience?

Thought I would pass some good information on.
borgwarner-efr-7670-turbo-2-content-13.jpg
borgwarner-efr-7670-turbo-2-content-16.jpg

suprapilot

Dec 30, 2014
Los Angeles Area
Remember EFR 7670 are the exducer sizes but they are the best turbos.

I found out that Precision makes a bolt on turbo sold only threw Sound Performance. It looks very nice and saw some dynos in the 500-600whp range for the 6262 BB billet.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Spoke with B.W. on the topic for the 7M 3.0L Engine.
For a power goal in the 500RWHP+ range they recommend:
- B2 EFR Frame
- Minimum of 7670
- Twin Scroll .92 A/R

B1 Frame is too small for the 3.0L.
Need to move to the B2 frame, otherwise on the top end the exhaust flow for this displacement engine is going to be choked and limited.

They said it should be at full spool @ 3,000 RPM mark, which is very impressive.
I ran by them the idea of the QSV, but they said it wouldn't make much difference.
These turbos sound very, very responsive for their size.
I was not expecting a 7670 to be able to behave that way.

Anyone here running an EFR turbo by chance?
Want to chime in with their experience?

Thought I would pass some good information on.
View attachment 80188
View attachment 80189

Hmm, interesting. I'm going for 500 WHP and need to decide on a turbo. I hadn't heard of these. Integrated BOV and Boost control solenoid? I've never heard of such a thing!

Remember EFR 7670 are the exducer sizes but they are the best turbos.

I found out that Precision makes a bolt on turbo sold only threw Sound Performance. It looks very nice and saw some dynos in the 500-600whp range for the 6262 BB billet.

The 6262 from Sound Performance is what I'm eyeing as of now. I'm having a hard time finding a better value anywhere else.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Hmm, interesting. I'm going for 500 WHP and need to decide on a turbo. I hadn't heard of these. Integrated BOV and Boost control solenoid? I've never heard of such a thing!

Yeah the feature list for these EFR turbos is very appealing.
They really allow you to simplify and downsize the extra ancillary components usually required to control a turbo.
Great for cleaning up the bay and packaging.

The internal wastegate sounds very capable on these turbos as well.
Though I am sure it would be beneficial to move to an external WG on these up to a certain power level.
Most of us would be fine running one of these with their internal WG.

Yeah lots of good features, even a speed sensor.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Yeah the feature list for these EFR turbos is very appealing.
They really allow you to simplify and downsize the extra ancillary components usually required to control a turbo.
Great for cleaning up the bay and packaging.

The internal wastegate sounds very capable on these turbos as well.
Though I am sure it would be beneficial to move to an external WG on these up to a certain power level.
Most of us would be fine running one of these with their internal WG.

Yeah lots of good features, even a speed sensor.

The speed sensor would be super cool. I'd do a little custom digital display in the cabin to watch the RPM soar under load, haha.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
I just looked over an invoice from Reg Riemer in 1999 for a HKS Sport Turbo I have but the turbine housing has a Turbonetics logo on it? This would mean HKS bought them from Turbonetics and sold them? Any info on this?

HKS cast the original ct-26 style turbine housing for their bolt-on turbos. All others from that point are copies. First was Turbonetics who offered them in several different A/R's. If your turbo has a Turbonetics housing, then it is not an HKS turbo. Perhaps the compressor and cover are, but definitely not the turbine housing. Many of the bolt-ons I pictured above use Turnbonetic housings. Turbonetic's internal wastegate suffered from flapper ceasing due the material of the flapper rod expanding when hot and jamming. SupraSport's first gen bolt-on's suffered from the same thing. Pretty sure the casts were being made in Mexico. Luckily, there is a fix (weld a steel bolt to flapper in place of rod). If you haven't run your turbo yet, chances good that it'll suffer from the same issue as I believe it effected all Turbonetics and 1st SS bolt-ons for the 7m.

Last edited:

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
My Turbonetics Hifi 62-1 bolt-on crossed another milestone. Tuner just texted me that it put down 516whp at 21psi on pump gas and a rich 10.9afr. He also said that his dyno reads low. Not too shabby for a 20 year old design. :boink:

Should have the dyno video and graph soon. Will post it up.

Pretty sure it outflowed the factory exhaust manifold as the power drops at 6200rpm and then goes back up through 6500rpm. Consensus is that the factory manifold is bottlenecking flow.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
^
So you didn't receive the turbo directly from HKS and the part number is not on the turbo? :sarcasm:

I stick to my previous statement.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Here is the order email of the turbo I have from Turbonetics. This was shipped from HKS to the owner who I obtained the turbo from.

You've posted a scan of an itemized 18 year old email from Reg Riemer to the previous buyer. Not from Turbonetics and I see no shipping invoice from HKS. Not sure what you're trying to prove or disprove. It's already been discussed that the hotside is a later cast from Turbonetics, not HKS. As far as the center section and compressor cover, perhaps you can find some identifying marks to see what brand they are. Reg was a pretty straight shooter. Not sure about who you purchased the Turbo from second-hand. You may even have one of JT's bolt-ons as he frequently Frankenstein'd them from whatever he had available to him at the time.

Btw, your wastegate actuator looks to be from Turbonetics as well. Both of mine had an identical silver tag with 3 part numbers.

Last edited:

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Once again, if the housing has a Turbonetics logo, it’s Turbonetics.

Turbonetics did not produce the housings until after HKS discontinued their 7M Sport Turbos. So there’s no way HKS could have used Turbonetics as a supplier. Reg didn’t remember seeing the “T” logo on his turbine housing because he is running a genuine HKS Sport Turbo.

Done and done. Now please stop cluttering up this thread.

Let’s see some pics of other bolt-on turbo options people.

suprapilot

Dec 30, 2014
Los Angeles Area
The main reason I love the idea of bolt on is to use all the heat shields. I love the idea of having some of the factory essence but updated with minimal changes visually. Since I know now that I have the Turbonetics unit and not HKS I deleted some posts. My current Turbonetics is a ball bearing. I spin it and it keeps going so I believe this is a BB based on that? Mark you mentioned that there were 3 turbine housings? Other then stock and the .63 A/R Turbo A housing which all the larger housings were copied from? What is the 3rd one? One interesting thing is that the Turbonetics uses a bolt on turbine housings and Mamba unit is a v band style? The bolt on one should allow an EFR supercore to mate to it with some machine work I would think? I just called Comp turbo and asked if I use my Turbonetics turbine housing if we can run an all new aluminum bearing housing and the most modern billet disgnes and they said they could do it for $1000. Another interesting option is still the SP/Precision. Precision now has a Gen 2 billet wheel that flows 750hp from a 6062 size. Also Turbonetics and Precision have now merged which is interesting? I was also thinking about going over to Turbonetics and seeing what they can do to my turbo to updated it once I'm ready.

Last edited: