test drove my first stock mk3!

Godspeed

88 supra turbo 5spd
May 13, 2005
Asheville n.c.
well i went to a local car lot here in town and noticed they had an 88 mk3 turbo its homo blue with some fugly chrome wheels, and it was 5spd.
the interior was pretty good but i noticed the front seats had been recovered with vinyl and they were totally different from the rear seats. the car had 166k on it. the body was ok had a few blemishes. and a run in the paint, so i popped the hood and first thing i noticed was the fan shroud was melted all to hell and was zip tied in place. and you can tell the whole engine has been pressure washed, so i checked the oil and you can tell it had new oil in it. so i asked if i could drive it. so i get in the car and start it up. first thing a huge cloud of blue smoke rolls out from the exhaust but the car seems to idle pretty smooth. so i take off, first easing through the gears trying to see how it runs then i down shift and punch it....... this car was the slowest car i had ever driven in a while...... it was running the stock 6psi but it took for ever to get to the 6 psi!!! it had no pickup whatsoever. so i took kit back a just out of curiosity asked what was the price.... they said $4500 cash lol i laughed and said heres the keys back...
i just thought i would tell my little adventure. its my guess the reason they are asking so much is because alot of the kids in town know what these cars are but not how to fix them up. and im guessing if the car had someone who knew what they were doing they could make a nice mk3 out of it. but if i had never seen or driven a supra in my life and i drove this one i would never think it could turn out to be a beast like kwnate's or duanes!!!
sorry for the rant but i had to tell someone..

MKivSupra_Rob

INLINE6
Jan 22, 2006
Wpg
Godspeed said:
well i went to a local car lot here in town and noticed they had an 88 mk3 turbo its homo blue with some fugly chrome wheels, and it was 5spd.
the interior was pretty good but i noticed the front seats had been recovered with vinyl and they were totally different from the rear seats. the car had 166k on it. the body was ok had a few blemishes. and a run in the paint, so i popped the hood and first thing i noticed was the fan shroud was melted all to hell and was zip tied in place. and you can tell the whole engine has been pressure washed, so i checked the oil and you can tell it had new oil in it. so i asked if i could drive it. so i get in the car and start it up. first thing a huge cloud of blue smoke rolls out from the exhaust but the car seems to idle pretty smooth. so i take off, first easing through the gears trying to see how it runs then i down shift and punch it....... this car was the slowest car i had ever driven in a while...... it was running the stock 6psi but it took for ever to get to the 6 psi!!! it had no pickup whatsoever. so i took kit back a just out of curiosity asked what was the price.... they said $4500 cash lol i laughed and said heres the keys back...
i just thought i would tell my little adventure. its my guess the reason they are asking so much is because alot of the kids in town know what these cars are but not how to fix them up. and im guessing if the car had someone who knew what they were doing they could make a nice mk3 out of it. but if i had never seen or driven a supra in my life and i drove this one i would never think it could turn out to be a beast like kwnate's or duanes!!!
sorry for the rant but i had to tell someone..

if it was the slowest car you;ve ever been in and it was blowing smoke chances are it wasnt running 100%..

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
MKivSupra_Rob said:
if it was the slowest car you;ve ever been in and it was blowing smoke chances are it wasnt running 100%..

He may be exaggerating a tad but stock Supras really are pretty dang slow. My mom's Honda Pilot is more fun to drive than a stock Supra.

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
lol...here in columbus, a couple of months ago, a car lot was selling an 88 na targa 5sp for $6800- no shit. the body/interior were in decent shape, had about 160k, but the guy said it had a new engine in it. however, he didn't know how many miles, who did the work, no receipts, etc. he didn't keep that info on cars 10 yrs old. i noticed targa seals kinda out of place so i asked him if they leaked. he didn't know wat i was talkin about- he didn't know it was targa. i brought him my turbo targa supra- fresh, worked over turbo motor, upgraded turbo, blah, blah, blah. but i needs painted, its half white, half primer, and it has dinged up fender- interior damn near mint. for kicks, i asked him if he would take trade in. he said no, my car needed to much work!!! ass. ooohhhhh boy, i lit the tires UP!!! when i left. but he did end up sellin it. sorry about long post. im done

Godspeed

88 supra turbo 5spd
May 13, 2005
Asheville n.c.
yeah i was exaggerating a bit but still it was slow and really needed some tlc!!! hell my 1ggte was rated at 210hp and it was way faster than that car and it was all stock except no exhaust???? i just thought it was funny that he's asking that much for it.
on a side note my friend justin is trying to buy this car. but only because i told him that if i helped him it could actually be a fast car!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
dead turbo = slow ass car...

my car stock blew any honda away and kept up with quite a few others...

slap a blue book done on the table and say the car is worth far less than what they're asking, not to mention the blue smoke telling that it's probably got a blown engine. See if you can talk em down and save that car from being sold to a scrap yard!

Entropy

No Supra... For now ;)
Apr 10, 2007
Lacey, WA
Stock ones for sure aren't the fastest cars around, but they are still fairly quick. Also, its all about perspective..... Mine hit 3 lbs. of boost yesterday.... yes, 3 (its got issues). But I've been driving my 175 hp 4 cyl. pickup truck around for 3 months, so even that pathetic display was enough to make me grin, because its still much faster than my daily.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The turbo is dead. You are well under the 200 horsepower GE rating. Low compression, plus its inability to spool equals dog.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
i went through this before myself... although im sure everyone can

$4,500 at a pawn shop advertised on a main street here in denver. i drove by a few times and figured hey why not lets try it. so i bring a friend with me, i have him take me in his car and we get into the supra, it was red with seriously bad fading paint. the trunk latch wouldnt open, the radiator had way to much white in it and the oil was of course brand new. the powersteering wasnt working and a quick look... no belt or fluid... it had a boost controller so this is when we asked for a test drive :evil2:

the seatbelts surprisingly worked but we took it on a nearby highway, smoke most of the way... i asked my friend to test the response of turbo etc while i dicked with the boost controller... first pull 5 psi and felt super slow.... next i cranked the boost and it was showing 15~18 psi, at least the turbo seemed to be working... and hardly felt anything still... then we notice the car wasnt cooling off the needle kept going into red... we take it back and make it :icon_surp

they wanted $4,500 as well but man the car was junk inside and out the only positive thing was the transmission worked well... we left in a happy mood lol

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
Here we go again...bashing what a what a Supra is worth. Maybe the former owner should pay you to take it.

This is supposed to be a group of enthusiasts..Supra enthusiasts. Sometimes it sounds like a "let's talk about how fucked up Supra's are" and "How they're not worth any money" site.

I would strongly urge some of you to not venture into advertising, image management or grief counseling.:3d_frown: