test drove my first stock mk3!

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
Be positive, yoour cars are cheap. We get supras for the same price(actually none are cheaper...or maybe some shit N/A). For that price the engine here has almost defo rod knock or BHG or smt :) And there are NO other Supras... We can't get a car for 1k, thats decent...
Pay or good bye :D So let's everyone be happy :)

Last edited:

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
suprabad said:
Here we go again...bashing what a what a Supra is worth. Maybe the former owner should pay you to take it.

This is supposed to be a group of enthusiasts..Supra enthusiasts. Sometimes it sounds like a "let's talk about how fucked up Supra's are" and "How they're not worth any money" site.

I would strongly urge some of you to not venture into advertising, image management or grief counseling.:3d_frown:
so ur tellin me ur gonna pay 6800 for a piece of shit na (no offense to na crowd) from a shady dealer or 4500 for a half-ass blown up car in need of paint?! or any car for that matter?! just talkin supras because this is a supra forum- its common ground for everyone in here. personally, im not bashing supras. i have an overwhelming love (obsession really) for them (7m, 1jz, 2jz,...watever). man...if u only new the hard work and the shit ive been through with my 2 supras (probably the story with 90% of the people here). im not bashing the car, im bashing human beings in general, if theres any bashing here at all. im sorry dude but i think you are misunderstanding this conversation. someone correct me if im wrong- i usually am.

Godspeed

88 supra turbo 5spd
May 13, 2005
Asheville n.c.
im not bashing the supras at all. just the fact of them asking so much for the car in the shape it in... and the fact of it being so slow from being messed up. and that being the reason they cant seem to sell it. thats all and even if i had been bashing the supra this is a supra forum and this is the general section so i guess i could do that. WHICH IM NOT AT ALL BY THE WAY! JUST TO CLEAR THAT UP THATS ALL. my other thing is the fact that there are 4 or more supra turbos here in town for 3k and under and all in better shape than that one!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I usually agree with suprabad, but use car lots are the worst ripoff artists in the world...

I would have asked him if it came with a warranty, if so BLOW THAT DAMN ENGINE and have it replaced on their dime...

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
supra_ed said:
so ur tellin me ur gonna pay 6800 for a piece of shit na (no offense to na crowd) from a shady dealer or 4500 for a half-ass blown up car in need of paint?! or any car for that matter?! just talkin supras because this is a supra forum- its common ground for everyone in here. personally, im not bashing supras. i have an overwhelming love (obsession really) for them (7m, 1jz, 2jz,...watever). man...if u only new the hard work and the shit ive been through with my 2 supras (probably the story with 90% of the people here). im not bashing the car, im bashing human beings in general, if theres any bashing here at all. im sorry dude but i think you are misunderstanding this conversation. someone correct me if im wrong- i usually am.

I think what Suprabad is trying to say is... why basically the shift of topic wasn't STUPID DODGY CAR DEALER RIPPOFF MOFOZ... rather than.... DROVE M FIRST STOCK MK3... thats the difference in attitude presented.

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
Maybe it's got something to do with supras are dealerships?

There was a 92 black NA auto parked outside a the local mechanic's place. It looked in good shape and I hadn't even been in a supra before this, so I say what the hell and have a look. The bodywork was really nice, apart from the rust appearing around the edges of the window but under the hood was a lot worse. It featured a badly installed alarm, tatty wiring and no oil. The car took forever to start, and when he did get it, admittedly it pulled quite nicely (but that said, I'm use to sub 100bhp econoboxes).

The car was way out of my price range - £2000, which is what excellent condition Turbo models sell for, but I decided I'd humor the guy a bit. I had a look at the paper work - No service history for the past 5 years, when the car was taken off the road for no reason. I then asked him if he'd be willing for me to get someone in to do a compression test, and told me that he didn't want anybody working on the car that wasn't from his garage and that he'd do the compression test and call me with the results. At that point I walked away.

It was sat outside of that lot for about a month.

Godspeed

88 supra turbo 5spd
May 13, 2005
Asheville n.c.
anyways my point was the car dealer trying to rip people off just because of the name supra. and all the while making anyone who drives this thing think they are junk because it was not well taken care off that is all.

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Hmm most of the supras at the dealerships here in town go for about 6k-9k.. most I've seen are in fairly good shape, slightly high mile, stock cars. You can pick up a beater for 2k privately, or a nice one privately for around the same price as a dealership, altho you get a much nicer car at that price through the private seller.

Supra's are expensive here.... If I were going to buy another one I'd get one out of the states for sure... Unless somebody is selling a mint one here for cheap because it has rod knock or something (that often happens...) when they run (even with a bhg) they sell for big bucks, as soon as they no longer run even the most beautifully mint supra sells for fairly cheap...

Example.. I was offered a beautiful 89 white package targa, minus engine & trans with low miles on the body, no rust, mint interior... for $50. Yup... but I didn't have the room to store it. :(

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
even MKIV's are auctioned off here since they're too old...

I'd NEVER offer my car as trade in, but they've probably give me the same crap that it's too old.

At least you can get them on a lot and with some warranty up there...

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
when a mk3 is nice, it should pull good money. but when a mk3 needs work, its not worth anything. i dont know what causes the huge rift between the good and the bad. probably because there arent many cars that are in between the good and bad.

however, when i sell my car, id like to get close to $10k. but i dont think im very far off because of my low mileage, accident free, fairly mint interior, the year, the color, the accessories as well as the running gear and the work put into it.

conversely, i bought this car, straight body, nice (but burgundy) interior, seized motor, bone stock and an Auto for $850 from a repair shop. its come A LONG way.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I agree, but MKIII's are coming up in price, so if I ever DO decide to sell I could get some cash out of it...

But I doubt I'd get anywhere near what I've put into it (oh....over $8K...and not even close to done)

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
vas85 said:
I think what Suprabad is trying to say is... why basically the shift of topic wasn't STUPID DODGY CAR DEALER RIPPOFF MOFOZ... rather than.... DROVE M FIRST STOCK MK3... thats the difference in attitude presented.

I see someone got it.

I stand by what I said.

Let's not beat the shit out of the worth of a great car because "some dealer is trying to rip someone off on a beat Supra" (unscrupulous car dealers have been doing this forever, and before that horse traders did the same).

With regard to what a MKIII is worth, I would very much like to see the mentality change, and the car become recognized for the intrinsic value it possesses as a marquee of automotive excellence.:icon_bigg

Godspeed

88 supra turbo 5spd
May 13, 2005
Asheville n.c.
i think they should have high value also but at the same time i thnk that it should be taken care of b4 they try to sell it for that much.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
of course. its crappy when people try to sell beat down toilets for more than they are worth. its getting harder and harder to find prime, low mileage examples of true 80's sports/GT car.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
With the world rise in scrap metal prices older cars will become more rare and hard to find and soon this will begin to drive prices through the roof.

Here scrap companies have started travelling to country town with a mobile crusher and a convoy and collecting ANYTHING they can find :(

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
IJ. said:
With the world rise in scrap metal prices older cars will become more rare and hard to find and soon this will begin to drive prices through the roof.

Here scrap companies have started travelling to country town with a mobile crusher and a convoy and collecting ANYTHING they can find :(
ur completely right. with older cars, it makes more sense to some people (from a monetary point of view) to scrap a car, even if the body is in fine shape, than to fix, rebuild, or put a new engine in it. mk3's saving grace is u can still buy a 7m for pretty cheap- unlike 2j's.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
supra_ed said:

damn right.