Test drive and have grinding noise ?

SUPERIUM

Low Postage Member
Nov 29, 2005
Buffalo, NY
Try adjusting your clutch pedal out more. Sounds like the clutch isnt fully disengaging when putting it into gear. I had to do this when I changed my clutch.

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
So I think one more point of clarification needs to be made - definition of grinding:

A growling or howling sounds - like when you have a bearing that has started to deteriorate?

Gears not meshing correctly and grind when trying to line up?

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
Best way I can describe the noise is like when you try to start your car, and its already running. It is like that, but not as harsh.

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
buddy could'nt make it last night, had to work late. I'll probably see him this weekend, so we'll get the tranny pulled then. I'll keep y'all posted and thanks everyone for the input.

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
tranny is being dropped right now, pretty sure the clutch disc is backwards because the fingers on the cover are flat. Should have tranny the rest of the way out in the next hour or so. I'm gonna feel like idiot if i put the disc on backwards.

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
What do you mean Poodles ? If it's what I think, the tranny was on the garage floor while it was out, in a position as if it were in the car. CyFi6 : Freeplay was minimal, just like it felt before. The only thing I think of is when the clutch was pulled, there was no pilot bearing. I did'nt put one back in there seeing as it never had one. I have one now though, and re-assembly of everything commences in about an hour. Taking a break right now because tranny pulling is rough lol. Dont laugh at me for not originally putting a pilot bearing back in there to begin with, It never had one when I got the car. I just don't get how it was fine without it, and then now it's like hell no I ain't going anywhere. I am wondering why this new pilot bearing does not go all the way in ? It fits, but does'nt slide back in there far enough to where I can let go of it...uggh I just don't know, it's so frustrating.

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
need more help guys. My neighbor and are currently having a rough time getting the tranny installed back on the motor. We are having clearance issues with the bellhousing bumping into the underside of the tunnel before we can get the input shaft through the clutch cover. We have tried jacking the motor up and tilting it and even rotating the tranny itself. There just doesnt seem to be enough room. What are we doing wrong ?

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Clutch is bolted on the flywheel when the engine is in the car? I have never seen anyone install the gearbox this way and I don't believe it can be done.

You need to put the pressure plate inside the bellhousing on the input shaft and then put the clutch plate on the input shaft and then put the gearbox on.

When you get all the bellhousing bolts on, then you use the inspection plate to get the clutch bolted to the flywheel after lining up the dowels.

When installing the clutch plate, make sure the flat side of the clutch plate will be touching the flywheel when the gearbox is installed. One side is flat and the other is elevated where you can see the springs as well.

If you are not sure, post pictures to make sure you have everything right before installing the gearbox.

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
Yes I have looked at the tsrm, I just dont get how you are supposed to reach through the inspection plate to line all that up, much less torque the bolts. Thats why clutch went on first. I guess it's tsrm way if I can get around my mental block and follow the instructions.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Make a mark on the flywheel and the clutch plate in the same spot with white out when all the holes are lines up. Install the gearbox and line those up and you will be fine.

You can also look through both inspection holes, when one hole is lined up on each side, all will be lined up.

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
ok thanks guys, I will try again in the morning. Glad I don't have to pull the motor out again because thats what it was looking like at first.