Test drive and have grinding noise ?

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
Help plz. After motor is back in and all buttoned up, small things taken care of, I lowered the car off of the jack stands and proceeded to test drive. Well, I have a grinding noise when the clutch engages. Me and my buddies have been tossing theories around but after I re-checked gear oil in the tranny and topped it off, it still does it. What's worse, (car back on jackstands so i could top off gear oil) is when I put the car back in nuetral and lifted off the clutch, the rear tires started spinning again. Did I put the clutch disc on backwards ?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
With no load on the wheels, the transmission will freewheel enough to spin them. It's normal.

Now the grinding noise. Is the clutch new? Does it grind when the engine is off? Does it grind only in gear, not in neutral? Is it only when starting off?

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
You put the car in neutral and the wheels were spinning? The flat side is the flywheel side. Flat = Flywheel. Easy to remember. It sounds like a gearbox problem more than a clutch problem since you say you are in neutral and the wheels are spinning.

Last edited:

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
LIke poodles said theres nothing wrong if the wheels are spinning in nuetral. The fluid is thick enough that its going to rotate the wheels without any load on them. Try to post up a clip of the noise its making it could be something more simple than it seems.

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
MKIIISupraGuy;1684111 said:
clutch has about 15k on it. No it does not grind when motor is off. Grinds in gear and the one time when I tried to start off.

Just to confirm - If car is on the ground, motor running, transmission in Neutral, engage clutch (pedal out) is there any noise or is it quite?

If no - does it grind in all gears or just certain ones?

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
gottadiesel;1684207 said:
Just to confirm - If car is on the ground, motor running, transmission in Neutral, engage clutch (pedal out) is there any noise or is it quite?

If no - does it grind in all gears or just certain ones?

no noise when running, in nuetral, and clutch peal out. Gears I have only tried 1st and 2nd.

lewis15498;1684216 said:
Poodles and CyFi6 are right, the wheels should spin if off the ground and the car is in neutral and running. I would be more worried if they werent spinning.

ok, yea and it's just a slow spin. Appreciate all the input guys, TY

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Does it grind when you try to put it in gear or when it is already in gear and you try moving off.

Is your clutch adjusted properly according to the TSRM?

SUPERIUM

Low Postage Member
Nov 29, 2005
Buffalo, NY
So if your in neutral and just push in and out the clutch pedal without putting it in gear does it grind? or does it only grind when you try to put it into gear?

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
It grinds when already in gear and trying to move out. Driveshaft is tight and clutch is adjusted and feels just like it did before the motor pull. I am stumped y'all, dunno if it helps but I do have the lsd rear. Me and buddy are thinking of pulling tranny to see what's up with clutch disc

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 PM ----------

Superium...neutral is quiet no matter if clutch is in or out. On a side note the motor sounds very healthy after the new internals and I did new motor mounts because one was broke. I'm gonna go check driveshaft again just to be sure. I hope my buddy can make it over tonight. He has 2 mk3, and a mr2.