targa top ?

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
is it worth getting a targa top? it really looks sweet when you have it off in the summer just floatin down the highway.. i heard they leak a lot though and i dont want that is there a way to re-seal or something so they wouldnt leak? would it be possible to get the removable top from an original targa and then cut the roof on a non targa to make it a targa top? please give me some advice i really want a targa but idk if its worth it....

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
IIRC the targa models have extra bracing in the undercarriage to carry the extra load for when the targa is off. I would not recommend trying that, and it would be cheaper and easier likely just to find a supra with targa with no motor and just transplant your motor, or if you're a NA find a turbo targa that needs some bodywork and use your current as a parts car.

That being said yeah I love my targa, and no it doesn't leak. But the hardtop supra's are around 100 pounds lighter because they don't need the extra bracing that goes with having a targa. So thats something to consider aswell.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
I love my targa, but not the "wet noodle" effect you get from having the top off.

The top won't leak if you replace your seals and do it right. Replaced mine, used rtv where the targa meets the drip rail. No leaks.

You could lessen and/or eliminate the "wet noodle" effect by installing a targa brace, or by installing lower arm bars (I think) to help stiffen them up.

I've exchanged emails with a JIC representative (or someone possibly higher up). He said that msrp is 110, shipping about 20-25. Part is on back-order from Japan and may not be available until June or July.

TuRbOdReAmZ87

Supramania Regular
Feb 2, 2007
Southern mass
www.cardomain.com
I've thought about taking a targa and cutting it off half way up and cutting mine off to make my hardtop to a targa. lol Because i loved my last supra that was targa. Didnt leak and looks great! But i would suggest it just because its awesome, unless your worried about weight and flex i would get one. Nothing like having the top off and getting looks from lots of people. :) My favorite thing to do was take the top off and roll up my windows on the highway. It was cool. Like i had a roof. No wind.

GuNDeZZZ

Was dgilman360
Sep 28, 2006
Lakeland Florida
TuRbOdReAmZ87;1229466 said:
My favorite thing to do was take the top off and roll up my windows on the highway. It was cool. Like i had a roof. No wind.

I hate it when people do this in town, but highway is alright... lol

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
Price I paid was at my local Toyota dealer.
Prices in parenthesis are the prices quoted from Curt Aigner at Elmhurst Toyota.

62383-14052 Weatherstrip (roof) List: 33.07 Paid: 23.86 (25.25)
62384-14052 Weatherstrip (roof) List: 33.07 Paid: 23.86 (25.25)
63251-14061 Weatherstrip (top) List: 73.75 Paid: 53.21 (56.31)
63252-14032 Weatherstrip (top) List: 65.97 Paid: 47.59 (50.37)

Subtotal: 148.52

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
Targa = FTW!

But not for high hp applications, unless you get some extra bracing in there.

DO NOT "make" your own targa supra... the hardtop and targa have structural & weight differences for a reason.