Taillight gaskets not sealing

cwapface

Supernerd
Mar 30, 2005
Eugene, OR
www.dylanwiggins.com
After replacing my crappy rotted out gaskets with brand new ones and cleaning the taillights and body, I still get rain leaking in. I tested with the hose and it is coming in between the top middle and top outermost bolts. If I push in on the light I can see the drip come to a stop, which leads me to these questions:

1) How tight should I torque down the 6 nuts holding the taillight on? I made all 6 finger tight and then did maybe 3 or 4 full turns down and it still leaks. The nuts give resistance while turning but it never increases, which is a big red flag for my nervous self. I don't have a 1/4" ratchet so I just take it easy on the 3/8".

2) Is there a sequence I should follow to get it sealed better? Both times now I have done it like a headgasket as evenly as possible but it didn't seem to help.

3) Should I use RTV at all? I'm looking for a permanent fix here, should I put a light coat on both sides or what?

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
I had a persistant leak on my tailights and ended up gradually tightening them more and more until I pulled the stud out of the plastic on one tailight and had to get another assembly. I used a little RTV on a new gasket for the new one and it sealed fine

cwapface

Supernerd
Mar 30, 2005
Eugene, OR
www.dylanwiggins.com
I just tried 3 more times to get it sealed, on the last try i put plenty of RTV on both sides of the gasket and when I turn the hose on it still pours in. My light must be busted, because i tightened the other side a little more and it seals fine now. d'oh!

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
^ yep had the same problem and just figured that out lol

i masked up both sides, and had bout 5mm gap between the lense & black frame/housing and then smeared a nice amount of urethane and took the masking tape off... looks just like stock just the black frame is a little lower than normal heh
tested it again and no more leaks!!! yayyy

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
i used a generous helping of RTV on each side of mine, and they sealed p perfectly.

-shaeff