T61 Bolt on Turbo by Cx Racing

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Way back I ran an internal gated GT3540r and had ALL of these issues, poor boost response down low and then when adjusted/preloaded Mad creep up high, EBC solved them all to a certain extent (with a very light actuator it would still blow the flapper off the seat at times causing Lag and always had some creep up high due to the tiny WG Hole/valve)

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
IJ.;1615913 said:
Way back I ran an internal gated GT3540r and had ALL of these issues, poor boost response down low and then when adjusted/preloaded Mad creep up high, EBC solved them all to a certain extent (with a very light actuator it would still blow the flapper off the seat at times causing Lag and always had some creep up high due to the tiny WG Hole/valve)

I had a chance to buy a blitz sbc i-d for like 200. I should have jumped on it.

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
I run a Gizzmo closed loop EBC, made a big improvement in spooling. I believe the reason these turbo's don't see anything past 5psi on the actuator is due to incorrect preload when shipped.

CBatstone, I had your issue, what happens is the wastegate opens, the assembly drops and gets jammed open on the comp housing. i saw 0.5psi boost. Id check the flapper. You can disconnect the actuator and check flapper movement first rather than pulling the turbo.

CBatstone

Burlington, VT &Wolfeboro
Sep 22, 2006
Vermont
www.thirtythree.org
the flappers moving fine and the turbo is building 5lbs - so either the 1 1/2 turns of preload I added wasn't enough or I have a bigger leak somewhere. I tacked the loose collar before it had a chance to get loose. I still witnessed it get in an unaligned position when I had the turbo off the car, but everything 'feels' okay when I grab onto it and manually open it. Since my IC piping is bullet proof and bead rolled i'm going to pressure test it tomorrow and see if it could be leaking around the outside of the turbine housing as paradox suggested.

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Ahh k sorry for some reason i though you said you weren't making any boost.

Mine would have been back on the road yesterday however i had some issues with the thrust bearing so had to pull the gearbox again. possibly another week and ill get to test the results and my drive line will be ready for some more power. (it's now got fitted a R154 & Os Giken Twin plate)

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Im going to start my problem fixing this weekend, taking off the turbo and tacking the gate. im gonna get a friend of mine to modify the elbow from the exhaust(im still running a stock elbow), and get new 4 ply couplers. oh and add my new beech solid mounts:) then im gonna turn it up to around 15-16 lbs. and see where im at when the dust settles.

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
SupraSean;1618471 said:
Im going to start my problem fixing this weekend, taking off the turbo and tacking the gate. im gonna get a friend of mine to modify the elbow from the exhaust(im still running a stock elbow), and get new 4 ply couplers. oh and add my new beech solid mounts:) then im gonna turn it up to around 15-16 lbs. and see where im at when the dust settles.

Please take that elbow off and bin it asap!

My cars back on the road now, ill get some video's tonight, it was too wet to accelerate last night but my car builds boost pretty quickly I'd say i'm happy with it now and its all the response id expect out of this turbo.
Sean, can you post a video of the boost gauge so we can compare it vs mine?

drewmiller5007

Mar 24, 2010
taylorsville, NC
ok guys ive got the same problem with the same turbo....boost hits 5psi and thats it?? what do i do to fix it? im running 3" tbe, front mount intercooler, 2.5" hard pipes, and a HKS vein pressure converter.

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
drewmiller5007;1618803 said:
ok guys ive got the same problem with the same turbo....boost hits 5psi and thats it?? what do i do to fix it? im running 3" tbe, front mount intercooler, 2.5" hard pipes, and a HKS vein pressure converter.

Preload the waste gate more as talked about in the last 30 pages of this thread.

Here is a video done on private property on the weekend up in the bush, my mate works at a dairy farm just round the corner from my folks place in the bush with a nice long paved driveway he let me use, should have got some out of car shots but didn't, the R154 has a different speedo gear than the W58 so the speedo is 15km/h out @ 150km/h, had issues with the flapper getting jammed on the housing, had to remove the turbo and adjust it a bit up with the grub screw, turns out the washer still could get jammed, wastegate didn't shut properly. made 12psi max boost, you can hear when i press the throttle %100, its a 2nd-3rd gear pull starting at 3500rpm, shifting round 7000rpm.

Comes onto boost fairly quickly,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBcN0CRjlrU

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
paradox616;1618732 said:
Please take that elbow off and bin it asap!

My cars back on the road now, ill get some video's tonight, it was too wet to accelerate last night but my car builds boost pretty quickly I'd say i'm happy with it now and its all the response id expect out of this turbo.
Sean, can you post a video of the boost gauge so we can compare it vs mine?

yes i appologize for still having the stock elbow. thats all i had to work with atm. i will try to get a vid today of that gauge. im going to try to modify the stock elbow. and just basically cut out the wall and weld everything back up. any reason that wouldnt work?

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
sounds great paradox, i knew this turbo would spool half decent, 3500 rpm is not bad at all! Now all those other people on here can stop complaining b/c it 'won't spool before 5000RPM', thanks for proving me right lol ;) Would be awesome to hear a vid outside the car to really hear the turbo!

CX really needs to fix this WG issue, its just not acceptable.

1986&1/2poopra

Sep 21, 2008
ithaca ny
I just read the post props to you folks. I might do the same with my tax return. what supporting mods will i need on a bock block gte?

welding steel to cast or cast in general is not recommended something about it makes it prone to cracks.

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
IwantMKIII;1619212 said:
CX really needs to fix this WG issue, its just not acceptable.

Agreed, The actuator diaphragm is a bit small as well. I've got mine to the point where im happy with it. I can confirm i had air leaks from the turbo housing, using RTV on the housing seems to have a positive improvement.

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I dropped my camera lastnight and it is fubar. on a positive note i started taking everything apart and the only thing left to do is fix my elbow/downpipe:) glad to hear everything is working accordingly paradox

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
went up to the bush again and took some footage running 20psi at my mates place on a private road, its "speed limited" to 180, after that the dash stops going up, im not running the stock ecu so it doesn't affect it the car but i cant tell how fast im going... all i know is quick, I was going to get some out of car shots/flybys but i had a piece of the intercooler piping launch its self into orbit...(couldn't find it) couldn't find the piece and had to use a rag as a make shift air filter and limp it to my mates shed where we replaced the pipe. Road looks alot bumpier than it actual was.

It's pretty clear to me the actuator on the turbo is NOT suited for over 1 bar pressure. I'm thinking about replacing it with one with a 15psi spring.

The turbo whistle starts to hurt your ears after a while :p

Last edited:

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
IJ.;1621302 said:
Excessive whine is a bad sign G :(

Especially when it comes from the missus!

I had a window down IJ, its actually quieter than my mates GT35R on a RB30 running the same boost. I'm going to remove the video's if anyone wants to see them PM me your youtube name as ill be turning the video's to private.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
paradox616;1621362 said:
Especially when it comes from the missus!

IJ, its actually quieter than my mates GT35R on a RB30 running the same boost. I'm going to remove the video's if anyone wants to see them PM me your youtube name as ill be turning the video's to private.
Can't believe B ever "whines" having met her, she's a honey ;)

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
ok i finally got everything back together with the elbow fixerd, i bought a greddy type s boost controller, and my solid mounts in. all i can say is wow. at 14 psi i had alot of difficulty keeping the ass end stuck to pavement through all of 2nd and most of 3rd. and.....then two of my couplers blew off(cheap clamps). i could not find them i ended up taking some scrap pieces of coupler i had at home, and a friend drove me back so i could get the car home. so im assuming i had major boost leaks prior but the turbo definately spooled up atleast 200 rpm faster. all i did was give it 3 full turns of p-load, and modify the elbow. so new silicone couplers and leak test eveything. i did notice the whistle as your were talking about, i dont mind it so much.lol i guess its because i know whats about to happen :) Videos soon as i get access to another camera