T61 Bolt on Turbo by Cx Racing

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
paradox616;1621378 said:
hahaha, i can't really fault her on that actually

anyway ill reply to your pm sean, good to see you fixed some issues!

its getting there lol picked up that boost controller for 100 bux haha. every little bit helps

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
honeydew;1621479 said:
Are you saying that because the whine gets funny or higher pitched when the compressor blades get chewed?

Bud-dum pow!

Usually indicates an out of balance CHRA, failure isn't far behind Sarah.
(Gordon's GF is a babe I'd happily deal with any minor "whine" she may have and do my best to solve it :D)

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
IJ.;1621498 said:
Usually indicates an out of balance CHRA, failure isn't far behind Sarah.
(Gordon's GF is a babe I'd happily deal with any minor "whine" she may have and do my best to solve it :D)

IJ, it sounds like a normal turbo whistle, Nothing like death whine. Id say its normal operation noises. It's a new sound to me after running low boost for so long due to clutch issues, boost cut etc etc.

And IJ, only when she wants to be ;) The car doesn't scare her lol.. must mean i need more power.
Perhaps i can pick your brain, in 2nd gear on one of the videos i hit full boost of 15.8psi, it holds that until redline, third gear shoots up a bit higher however by redline drops to 11-12psi any comment on this behaviour? I'm running too much gain on the controller, and maximum duty cycle.

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
IJ.;1621828 said:
Cool you and B will have to come up for a visit and take me for a ride :D

sounds good :)

any idea on -------> "Perhaps i can pick your brain, in 2nd gear on one of the videos i hit full boost of 15.8psi, it holds that until redline, third gear shoots up a bit higher however by redline drops to 11-12psi any comment on this behaviour? I'm running too much gain on the controller, and maximum duty cycle. "

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
paradox616;1621947 said:
In the video that's your old dash IJ ;) Fatty lives on!
LOL there's bits of Fat car everywhere :)

SupraSean;1621962 said:
so it needs MoRe...Preload? lol gawd do these gates suck
Preload will only get you so far as then you risk top end spikes when the WG can't open far enough to control it, I went through all this with my 3540r and it's small internal gate,gets worse with tighter AR's.

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
IJ.;1622099 said:
LOL there's bits of Fat car everywhere :)

Preload will only get you so far as then you risk top end spikes when the WG can't open far enough to control it, I went through all this with my 3540r and it's small internal gate,gets worse with tighter AR's.

I didnt tell you guys this but i had the turbo on the bench not long ago, using a pressure valve I watched how far the gate opened, I've worked out you can preload it till about 18psi before the gate can't open far enough to work properly as preload reduces the travel the actuator linkage has, mines set to 12psi currently, i might try preloading it to 18psi IJ and see if how well boost is controlled.

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
paradox616;1622322 said:
I didnt tell you guys this but i had the turbo on the bench not long ago, using a pressure valve I watched how far the gate opened, I've worked out you can preload it till about 18psi before the gate can't open far enough to work properly as preload reduces the travel the actuator linkage has, mines set to 12psi currently, i might try preloading it to 18psi IJ and see if how well boost is controlled.

18psi ploaded, Whats that? like 3 threads from the end lmao...

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Not sure on the size comparison but the stock ct26 WG, couldn't that be modified and used instead of these really crappy ones you guys are complaining about?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
It's more the hole and flapper size that's the issue, 3540r was the same, way too small once you got up in flow and easily blown off the seat.

With an ext gate and and EBC you put xx boost into the spring side of the diaphram to raise boot, ie: 10psi spring + 5 psi boost = 15psi.

Side benefit of doing it this way is you can run a really light spring and it won't blow off the seat and you get much more stable/accurate control.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
that goes against logic though for a flapper that's too small? Since pressure is a factor of area, why would a larger flapper be more difficult to be blown off?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Did you miss the "and" in between?

2 issues

too small

AND

easily blown off the seat, bigger valve would be even easier to blow off the seat and is why they don't make them bigger, there are some rare housings that have 2 valves/ports.

If you found an actuator with a port on the back side of the diaphram that would help but they're rare.