T61 Bolt on Turbo by Cx Racing

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Zazzn;1612290 said:
Supra sean, sorry put your flame suit on.. I apologize in advance.

Haha more of the usual regurgitated bs. It may well be at 65/70% efficiency at 14 PSI @ 5000 RPM but that doesn't mean you won't still make power. All it means is you are not shifting the power to the end of the RPM band by putting a huge honking turbo on and only utilizing part of it's efficiency because it spooled by the time the race was over. I know for a fact you don't have this turbo otherwise you would understand what I'm talking about by just looking at that dyno graph form paradox and my buddy's. Honestly you couldn't pay me to take this turbo the way it's performing right now, I will put MONEY down that I would be faster in a stock CT over this turbo @ 20 PSI.

I know for a fact it's not the efficiency that holds back the ct from posting better numbers then the usual 280-300 WHP. It's simply that the back pressure in the exhaust housing starts to build so high so quickly that the exhaust simply pushes the wg open due to the high pressure in the manifold.

I've had a local friend do this to hold his boost he uses a carb spring which adds 10 more pounds of pressure to the WG spring by attaching it to the WG arm where the actuator connects and the other end on the actuator mount. Read up on the spring mod on the SF for the USDM turbos as they do the same things on mk4's.

Anyways, he's closer to 370 WHP on a stock CT and running 26 PSI (estimated by him running my 420 WHP mk4). Now that's hot air for you!

Where are you getting your numbers? Do you have proof and a dyno?

Each their own? Buy the turbo put it on then apologize to me after you realize what I'm talking about.

I had a t04B back in the day that used to spool at 4500, and it made 450 WHP and 470 ft tq... That turbo was garbage IMO the car wasn't fun or fast you had to drive it like you stole it just to have ANY fun.

Believe me when I say I know what I'm talking about... You want most power for minimal lag... Giving up 3000 RPM of power for 1500 RPM of fun is ALOT to ask....

Now i dont have a problem with your input on the topic. But when you call me a liar, that goes too far. Saying that i dont own the turbo and im just some kid pretending to be cool like the big kids. i dont take to kindly to that. about 2900 rpms in second gear the turbo starts to spool. by 35-3700 it has hit its 5 psi max. yes i understand this is laggy as hell. im not debating that one bit. i believe you are right in assuming the waste gate has alot to do with this. Next time i get some time to work on the car, i am going to try to preload the gate. i will post my results after. im going to get a vid this weekend to disprove your belief that i do not have this product.i will give you no apollogy, quite the reverse actually. i would love to know where you get your basis for such a statement. and talking about a pot calling a kettle black. you admitted you yourself do not have this turbo. Regardless IMO,,again IMO I would take this t61 over the ct anyday. if they fix the poor spooling conditions this would be a great turbo for the money.and 20+ psi on a stock ct 26? Really? i hope you like 1600' egts and little bits of compressor wheel in your intake.

Last edited:

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Zazzn;1612290 said:
Supra sean, sorry put your flame suit on.. I apologize in advance.

Haha more of the usual regurgitated bs. It may well be at 65/70% efficiency at 14 PSI @ 5000 RPM but that doesn't mean you won't still make power. All it means is you are not shifting the power to the end of the RPM band by putting a huge honking turbo on and only utilizing part of it's efficiency because it spooled by the time the race was over. I know for a fact you don't have this turbo otherwise you would understand what I'm talking about by just looking at that dyno graph form paradox and my buddy's. Honestly you couldn't pay me to take this turbo the way it's performing right now, I will put MONEY down that I would be faster in a stock CT over this turbo @ 20 PSI.

I know for a fact it's not the efficiency that holds back the ct from posting better numbers then the usual 280-300 WHP. It's simply that the back pressure in the exhaust housing starts to build so high so quickly that the exhaust simply pushes the wg open due to the high pressure in the manifold.

I've had a local friend do this to hold his boost he uses a carb spring which adds 10 more pounds of pressure to the WG spring by attaching it to the WG arm where the actuator connects and the other end on the actuator mount. Read up on the spring mod on the SF for the USDM turbos as they do the same things on mk4's.

Anyways, he's closer to 370 WHP on a stock CT and running 26 PSI (estimated by him running my 420 WHP mk4). Now that's hot air for you!

Where are you getting your numbers? Do you have proof and a dyno?

Each their own? Buy the turbo put it on then apologize to me after you realize what I'm talking about.

I had a t04B back in the day that used to spool at 4500, and it made 450 WHP and 470 ft tq... That turbo was garbage IMO the car wasn't fun or fast you had to drive it like you stole it just to have ANY fun.

Believe me when I say I know what I'm talking about... You want most power for minimal lag... Giving up 3000 RPM of power for 1500 RPM of fun is ALOT to ask....

what magical dyno graph are you talking about? i have not had mine dyno'd since fixing my waste gate issue and fixing quite a few boost leaks and fixing my leaking bov but i can tell you its significantly improved since then but you'd know that if you read all the posts before adding your 2c, on the dyno free boosting i couldn't spool above 17psi, disregard that dyno graph it's useless. I will post up a new one when i go back soon.

I'd be willing to bet you'd end with a hole in a piston or a rod in the sump on a stock ct26 @ 20psi, but since neither i or you have any proof its irrelevant and simply speculation which is not liked in the tech section. Perhaps you should be looking for potential issues with your friends car?

idlewild9

Jul 12, 2010
Tacoma, WA
Hey buddy!

Great news... I just got the new charge piping and intercooler installed, and should have it on the dyno in two weeks @ 19 psi. You mentioned you finally got your boost leaks fixed as well, so any updates on how it's running? I'll post pictures of the new setup in a day or so and have the dyno results everyones been wanting hopefully by the 15th!

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
idlewild9;1612687 said:
Hey buddy!

Great news... I just got the new charge piping and intercooler installed, and should have it on the dyno in two weeks @ 19 psi. You mentioned you finally got your boost leaks fixed as well, so any updates on how it's running? I'll post pictures of the new setup in a day or so and have the dyno results everyones been wanting hopefully by the 15th!

my cars been sitting in my garage for the last 2 months while i collected the pieces, It's been expensive. my clutch did not last long with 400rwhp...

I've collected

R154
Os Giken twin plate
push pull converter
R154 tailshaft

I'll be getting the car back on the road in the next week and down to the 1/4 in 3 weeks.

This should be able to put down the power I hope (to the hubs atleast) Only then can I wind it up to 22psi.

But before i pulled it off the road its been pretty good to drive, my spool issues has been improved significantly since installing the turbo.

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
paradox616;1613001 said:
But before i pulled it off the road its been pretty good to drive, my spool issues has been improved significantly since installing the turbo.

Was it a wastegate related issue? and how much did your spool improv3e?

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
Well then if you do own this turbo I apologize then. **Sorry** Regardless start spooling at 2900 and hitting full boost @ 3700 PSI does not mean a thing turbo's are always starting to spool as soon as you drive. You hit the turbo threshold at aprox 5000 (well at least he did) If your dyno isn't valid anymore lets see a new one paradox.

As for 20 PSI, what does EGT's have to do with anything and why would anyone end up with a hole?

You guys aren't making sense... That stuff happens if you don't tune the car for the level of boost. It would be just the same on your turbos, if you turned it up to 20 psi and didn't manage the fuel some how.

Anyways, again people are saying it can't be done but I'm seeing it with my very own eyes here by 2 guys in Toronto. The knowledge I've gained from all the years of supra ownership have taught me one thing. You can go much much faster on the stock parts then you are led to believe by the "internet" knowledge. While it's a great place for information, it's also a good place for misinformation.

Anyways, lets stop chirping, what else would you guys like me to address with CXracing.

Can you give me detailed pictures, descriptions of the issues with the turbo.

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Zazzn;1613262 said:
Well then if you do own this turbo I apologize then.

As for 20 PSI, what does EGT's have to do with anything and why would anyone end up with a hole?

Apology accepted, and i merely meant that a ct26 at 20+psi would be spinning too fast for its housing/bearings etc friction begins to occur and naturally your egt's are going to raise. . regardless the point im making is sure you can make decent power with stock. as an example look at the guy that made 750 on a stock block 7m. sure it made that power but how reliable do you think thats going to be after time? Thats just my opinion on the matter..... Anyways paradox, how much preload did you give the gate?

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
^actually its been very reliable, IIRC it lasted him well over a year with countless times at the track. It may even still be running, I haven't checked that thread for a long time.

idlewild9

Jul 12, 2010
Tacoma, WA
The new setup with NO boost leak. The wastegate on this turbo blows! It's extremely stiff, and I'm still havin a bit of trouble getting the turbo to spool at a decent rate... Dyno run is comin next on the 14th @ Intec Racing!

p1613635_1.jpg

p1613635_2.jpg

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Heres my car running a third gear pull from around 2500 rpm @ 5 pounds(gate wont go past 5 lol) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69Rk7HNIRsA Oh and heres a shot of my Engine with the t61.
///
photostream
Yes thats the stock accordian hose, it will fit, condition permitting.

P.S. Sorry for the way the picture layout turn out in the post. i couldnt figure out how to do it.

Last edited:

ma70t

7mgte-s
Jun 7, 2005
va
the t61 turbo looks like a knock off of one of the hks bolt on turbo maybe someone has some pics of the real hks bolt on turbo with the m12 marking on the cold side housing i could be wrong but it sure look like it to me

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Zazzn;1613262 said:
Well then if you do own this turbo I apologize then. **Sorry** Regardless start spooling at 2900 and hitting full boost @ 3700 PSI does not mean a thing turbo's are always starting to spool as soon as you drive. You hit the turbo threshold at aprox 5000 (well at least he did) If your dyno isn't valid anymore lets see a new one paradox.

You guys aren't making sense... That stuff happens if you don't tune the car for the level of boost. It would be just the same on your turbos, if you turned it up to 20 psi and didn't manage the fuel some how.

Anyways, again people are saying it can't be done but I'm seeing it with my very own eyes here by 2 guys in Toronto. The knowledge I've gained from all the years of supra ownership have taught me one thing. You can go much much faster on the stock parts then you are led to believe by the "internet" knowledge. While it's a great place for information, it's also a good place for misinformation.

Anyways, lets stop chirping, what else would you guys like me to address with CXracing.

Can you give me detailed pictures, descriptions of the issues with the turbo.

Yeah i agree, no new dyno yet because my cars been off the road for 2 months as my clutch couldn't handle the new found power. i see full boost before 5000rpm. Either way i'll have a new graph soon but to be honest its not on the top of my list as id rather have everything perfect before i send it back.

I'd like to see a ball bearing version of this turbo, and some other choices for exhaust wheels (smaller) and of course a revised wastegate setup.

I sealed my compressor housing with RTV last night and cranked 30psi into the intake pipes seems I've fixed all of my leaks now.

CBatstone

Burlington, VT &Wolfeboro
Sep 22, 2006
Vermont
www.thirtythree.org
paradox616;1615213 said:
I sealed my compressor housing with RTV last night and cranked 30psi into the intake pipes seems I've fixed all of my leaks now.

What problem(s) were you experienced that made you want to seal the compressor housing with RTV?

Is this a typical procedure? I imagine you just pressurized the system and found it leaking there, but how bad was it?

I've got the turbo in my car now and we're working on the MAFTPRO tune before we go too crazy with boosting. We tried to get it to spool up a little bit while we were running rich but we couldn't get any positive pressure, which makes me think the wastegate is open. Certainly a possibility though it seems closed.

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
CBatstone;1615702 said:
We tried to get it to spool up a little bit while we were running rich but we couldn't get any positive pressure, which makes me think the wastegate is open. Certainly a possibility though it seems closed.

See thats strange because i have the play in the sleeve like all the others and it still makes about 5 pounds. just no more than that. im thinking you need more preload. What rpm did you take it too?

CBatstone

Sep 22, 2006
Vermont
www.thirtythree.org
I tacked my sleeve before installing the turbo. I'm still tuning but we got up to about 4k. You can hear it spooling but it never got into the positives. I'll have more info soon.

CBatstone

Sep 22, 2006
Vermont
www.thirtythree.org
SupraSean;1615706 said:
See thats strange because i have the play in the sleeve like all the others and it still makes about 5 pounds. just no more than that. im thinking you need more preload. What rpm did you take it too?

Tacking the sleeve should fix the issue where the wastegate flapper would not correctly align over the hole and allow you to make at least some boost, which I can do. I took it to about 5grand last night. It was not a lag issue it was a wastegate or leak issue and my IC piping is rock solid.

Supra Shawn, You Paradox and I have to get to the bottom of this 5psi nonsense. I preloaded my wastegate to crack at 10-11 lbs and be fully open by 14. It should not be opening at 5. Now I did modify the angle but when I pull it by hand when the car is cool it seems to feel strong and close cleanly, whatever thats worth. I'm wondering now if Paradox has something here by sealing the compressor housing. Is this possibly the trouble we are all having being limited at 5psi? I am very interested to hear if he has solved it with this. If not I will preload the wastegate more.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
An EBC will improve things as it will divert the + pressure until it reaches the opening pressure you set, plumbed normally the actuator will start to open at 1psi unless it's preloaded, if it is then you risk creep on the top end and uncontrolled boost.

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
CBatstone;1615908 said:
Tacking the sleeve should fix the issue where the wastegate flapper would not correctly align over the hole and allow you to make at least some boost, which I can do. I took it to about 5grand last night. It was not a lag issue it was a wastegate or leak issue and my IC piping is rock solid.

Supra Shawn, You Paradox and I have to get to the bottom of this 5psi nonsense. I preloaded my wastegate to crack at 10-11 lbs and be fully open by 14. It should not be opening at 5. Now I did modify the angle but when I pull it by hand when the car is cool it seems to feel strong and close cleanly, whatever thats worth. I'm wondering now if Paradox has something here by sealing the compressor housing. Is this possibly the trouble we are all having being limited at 5psi? I am very interested to hear if he has solved it with this. If not I will preload the wastegate more.

I also attempted to preload the gate, i turned it about 2 full turns, but i also realized the play that same night so that could be why i'am not getting any results past 5psi, And Ian brings a good point, do any of you have ebc's?