T61 Bolt on Turbo by Cx Racing

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
my stock ct just took a shit...still spins decent and boosts fine but its got noticeable shaft play and it burns oil on occasion.

ill be buying this turbo in the next 2 weeks. i can probably fabricate the oil lines myself but it would be good for the thread if the folks that have done their lines would post pictures/specs of the work, details of material lists and overall average cost.

elbowblk

Jan 27, 2010
ri
good thing i found this thread. Im running a ct26 in my 240sx atm. I was eye-ing this turbo for a while and was thinking about buying it to just run 12 psi. But after reading that you guys hit full boost at 4k with a 6 cyl.............. lol im going to have a 500rpm powerband in my 4 banger.

my7mgte527

i have a t67 kit from cx. im on my 3rd one they arent bad but if the turbo has shaft play return it its not worth it in the end and their restricter plated clog like no tomorrow i have to bore mine out in order for it to work in the turbo properly

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
The t61 i bought last year, I put about 1500-2000 miles on it with no problems... I ended up melting a piston at the track because of a poor tune(Yes i know my Stupid ass fault). Pulled the turbo off, oiled it, sealed it up and put it in the house.. I put it on the new engine, and start it and this thing is pouring,,i mean fucking pouring smoke. i start thinking rings, but then i notice when the car sits oil literally drips out of my 2' downpipe onto the ground so i pull the turbo off and sure enough no oil in the manifold, but a SHIT TON in the exhaust housing of the turbo...so i pull the turbine wheel/shaft out to find...No oring on the shaft...Wtf I dont know where it could have gone????? I just wanted to share this for future reference. Also this turbo saw no more than 15-16psi.
P.S. i called and spoke with Cxr's Sales rep and a rebuild kit is like 30 bux..

gachax

Oct 16, 2007
Latvia
Mine is pouring oil as well.
It had happened before and then it turned out the oil drain was clogged (bad quality hose close to exhaust manifold). I changed the drain hose to teflon (plus rebuilt the turbo even though it was almost new) and it was fine until it started to smoke again. And it's not more than 4000 miles (20-25 PSI) after the rebuild. The in and out shaft play is about half a centimeter or more and the exhaust wheel is starting to touch the plate behind it. There's no axial play, though, but the oil can be seen in exhaust housing of the turbo.
So unfortunately I have to say the turbo is not a good quality. Currently I'm thinking about new ball bearing cartridge if I'll find one with the right parameters for the housing of this turbo.

Suprabeast4x4

Oct 17, 2009
Oi, Washington
I am currently running a CX RACING CT-26 and it seems good so far. Builds boost quickly hits 3 psi by around 1800 rpms and 5 psi by just over 2000 rpms and then up tp 8 if i lay into it. I saw it go to 12 psi once and only once ??? not sure what that was about...
My only complaint as of yet was it was not clocked correctly, hot and cold were clocked but the center was out of alignment oil hard line didn't line up but I re-clocked it. I hope this one last longer than the last one from Supra Store :(( bearing went in less than 1000 miles. I let you guys know how it holds up. truck is down again w BHG, fing BHG if its not one thing its another. I'll be glad to get the bugs out of this swap.

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Yea poodles.. i was under the impression there was an o-ring like seal on the shaft, Realized its kinda like a piston ring ish... I found out my pcv system was clogged and i believe this was part of the culprit to my oil problem. im going to put it back together and see what happens.

SupraMan1987

Mar 8, 2006
Hickory area, NC
So going threw this entire thread, it still hasn't been answered. Has the WG issue been solved? I am not against using an external gate if someone can figure out exactly how it should be done? Also, what DP are you guys using with this?

gachax

Oct 16, 2007
Latvia
SupraMan1987;1790885 said:
So going threw this entire thread, it still hasn't been answered. Has the WG issue been solved? I am not against using an external gate if someone can figure out exactly how it should be done? Also, what DP are you guys using with this?

I reused stock CT26 WG actuator with additional spring pulling back the WG to make it stiffer, so it started to open at 15 PSI if I remember correctly, but that didn't help much with the turbo lag. I have a manual boost controller, so either exhaust gas pressure is opening the WG or the turbo itself is the issue. I'm going to try dual port actuator with EBC and hopefully rebuild the turbo by putting in ball bearings.
I'm using custom 3" downpipe with cheap 3" elbow from ebay which had to be modified a little bit so the WG doesn't touch it when opening.

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I would like to update that the smoke from the turbo was caused by a lack of ventilation from the pcv system. fixed pcv and put turbo back on, no smoke:) getting tuned with map ecu2 in the next few months:) have to get the car legal. i also noted another problem to the wastegate flapper problem.. under a quick snap(simulating a vac pull) it gets stuck open. so i threw a quick tack weld on the arm to the flapper. should hold boost much better with that and a sealed compressor housing.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
So, seal the compressor housing, tack weld the wastegate flapper, switch to dual port actuator, and theoretically improve the lag by
converting to ball-bearing...
So...this turbo is better than a standard 57-trim upgrade....HOW?
I'm glad a few of you guys are finally getting the bugs worked out on this thing, but it really doesn't fulfill it's primary selling point: plug'n'play.
For the cost and/or hassle, I'd rather go full T4, which is what I'm doing.

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
If i knew then what i knew now i would not have bought this. i would have saved a little more and went to a t4 setup with an s375 or a 6262. But This is what i have for now, so just try to make the best of it and see what i can squeeze out of it. lol at converting to ball bearing...

Also i was looking at the specs of this turbo again, and realized the inducer is 66mm... Why call it a t61? lol

obdriver6

Mar 2, 2011
las Vegas
WOW! Simply WOW! After reading ALL 74 pages of this, it appears that the problems on this turbo have not been resolved. I was hoping I had finally found a turbo for my dad that would make around 430-450 whp but I guess my search continues. It seems that this turbo has potential but it seems that turbo lag and WG are killing it! CXracing really NEEDS to fix those problems!

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I want to believe it's all in the balacing of the both compressor and turbine wheels. I've had a 50trim fail on me in three days of getting it back from Majestic Turbo. The shaft snapped. That's a small wheel. BTW Majestic Turbo out of Dallas, Tx. customer service sucks and they don't back up their worksmanship. Buyer beware, you have been warned. They will tell you the turbo failure was your fault.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
CT shaft is larger than the garrett shaft the wheels come on. It's a large wheel in a small housing producing surge (and not the surge you control with a BOV).