T61 Bolt on Turbo by Cx Racing

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Poodles;1796253 said:
It's a large wheel in a small housing producing surge (and not the surge you control with a BOV).

Yea, this kind of surge:

[video=youtube;nCj6Spwl1CU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCj6Spwl1CU[/video]

gachax

Oct 16, 2007
Latvia
As I expected, turbo shop couldn't find matching BB CHRA for this turbo. Ended up buying Precision 6262 BB. As always, money spent on cheaper alternatives will eventually be just the money thrown away.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
timtiminy;1815075 said:
Not sure if anyone has seen the Kinugawa ct26 60-1 turbo, Might be a better alternative to the Cx Racing one. Has a 1yr warranty. Here's a link to it at the manufactures website: http://shopping.kinugawaturbo.com/k...a3sgte7mgtect26upgradewgarrett60-1450p-1.aspx
They also sell a compresor wheel and cover kit for right around $200 and an adjustable wastegate actuator for around $130 which their 60-1 turbo comes with.

No, worse. 60-1 in a CT-26 housing is destined to fail quickly.

wuestda

Beemer
Jul 2, 2007
Ohio
Moy;1370757 said:
Is it balanced?

I bought one and had it installed along with a pipe-Kit, and MAP ECU3 computer piggyback. Problem on first high boost run: Disabled AEM Boost controller to let it release at stock 8lb of boost (which it did) but never got boost after that because I think the Wastegate never closed after that.Might be that the acruator arm is interfering with the New oil-return line flange (VERY close-by. Yet to be determined. Have seen posts by others about same issue, so it may be an inherent problem. We will see. Anyone else heard about this?

WhtMa71;1371110 said:
I don't see any water ports...I don't even think the stock oil lines will work on it. I imagine it is a t3/4 center section..

Lots of fabricating. Gt35 turbo is so large that the header/exhaust manifold provided seems to.be in the way. The only way to fit the turbo on 'he heade and bolt it down is to hammer 1/8th of an inch on one port of the header and insert a miniature heat shield betwee. The header and turbo. Oill lines? You wwondered how well the stock lines bolt up? Thry dont. This turbo is 100% oil cooled and the cx racjng company provides you with oil fittings for the turbo, but they skimp you the fittings for the block which you have to get at a turbo performance shop e.g. Turbo Technology Tacoma Washington. After fabricating oil lines so that the ones that they provided given fit the engine block, then you have to customize the downpipe to fit the escape rear side of the gt35 godspeed turbo. I made a 90 degree 3 inch bend insert into a clamp that clamps the rear turbo exhaust escape side to a 3inch exhaust adapter. Anyways long story short i am positive that the kit is worth $800 . Email me or reply if you need help or have any questions.

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Bringing this thread to life as it helped me make my mind up on running this turbo (meaning I got it for a steal and didn't have any other option at the time so this thread helped me feel a little better about it). Over 1500 miles daily driven since installed with stainless feed and drain. Stock elbow to 3" exhaust, stock everything else except the intake. Replacing some bad knock sensors tomorrow ish and a bad bov as well. Then I'll be able to give it the berries and see what she has. So far she boosts quickly, sounds good, and the internal wastegate is 8psi (preloaded to half a hole) and holds accurately. Running 10w30 full synthetic on a rebuilt bored over 7mgte, walbro, and a few other goodies. Oil pressure looks good cold and hot. I'll get a dyno soon, once I clear up the minor issues. Wasnt able to find anything in this thread, but I did give up after 40-50 pages lol

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
supraguy@aol;1971681 said:
You're on a stock elbow?
You should see quite a difference when you get rid of that.

I can't wait either since last time I ran a big mouth it was amazing. I plan on going big mouth since the divorced wastegate models don't seem to line up terribly well with the exhaust housing itself.

jake8790;1971610 said:
Too bad the price doubled on them.

And possibly the quality because I have had almost no issues. Just needed preload, and had to have a custom slanted oil drain flange/nut made by my local guru (Mark you rock!) to hook up my -10 drain line, and I made my own intake pipe section. Otherwise this thing is pretty awesome. We will see how it goes with the dyno, and a before and after on some mods.

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Quick update, still running well. Fixed my code 52 and Damn this thing is fast and comes on nice and hard after 4k rpm. Still need to get an EBC and free up the exhaust system, but she's fun to drive. No spinning tires yet and just at 7-8psi, so I expect more from it.

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
Why not buy a proven bolt on from Sound Performance. There new CEA series would be a great bolt on turbo. And if a issue would happen I bet they would take care of things right away.

Aug 24, 2009
Nirvana
Was going to get my ct26 rebuilt/upgraded to a 57 trim but I found two hairline cracks on the wastegate port. Made an offer didn't really think CxRacing would agree to, but they did so here I am lol. Thought it had a 60mm compressor when I bought it, since they advertise it as "60 trim", but it's actually 66.6mm. I planned to return it but I liked it's truly divided wastegate and the thing really does appear to be pretty well made.. I spooled it up with my leaf blower and it spooled up nice and smooth. Seems balanced.. enough xD

I cut the gasket that came with the divorced downpipe so no useless parts of it would be exposed to the exhaust stream. Ebay gasket... probably would burn up over time, little bits getting stuck in my catalytic converter. Had some copper anti-seize compound lying around so I used that to mark where to cut lol. Dremel cut-off wheel was too big to make the curves so I used a drill bit in the tight corners and worked both sides of the gasket with the cut-off wheel in some parts (smaller profile if you're only cutting 1/2 way through).
Took a little too much off in one spot but it'll work. Going to glue it to the turbo with some high-temp copper sealant so it won't move around during install. Need it to stay in just the right spot.
p2023988_1.jpg

p2023988_2.jpg

p2023988_3.jpg

Last edited:

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
Any updates or new dynos for this turbo? I grabbed one over the weekend as the price was almost free, and it came with the oil lines. Guy said he didn't like the lag (he built his car for drifting), he was on stock ecu and injectors though, and was only running the 5 or so psi as he would hit fuel cut. Ive read the thread and plan to make sure the wastegate arm cant move by drilling and installing a set screw (grub screw as the Aussies call it) and then sealing the compressor housing with ultra gray. I plan to preload the actuator to ~18psi or so. If it wont hold the boost I want I will order the dual port Turbonetics actuator. Plan is to boost it to 20-25psi, maybe higher if I start running e85. Still no local pumps to me.

The thing that is interesting, and I haven't seen anyone point out, is that the compressor wheel is larger than the 670hp bolt on turbo SP Engineering used to sell. The turbine wheel is larger as well. The only difference I can see is the SP compressor housing is larger. 4in inlet, 2.5in outlet, the t61 is 3in inlet, 2.5in outlet. Haven't seen but a couple dyno's. One guy made 402rwhp at 15psi on this turbo. I think it will eclipse 500rwhp easily with the right mods and tuning at 20+ psi.

My 7mgte will run this turbo after I rebuild it. Currently on a 57 trim ct26. My mods will be 780cc/min injectors, 3in divorced dp, 3in exhaust, 3in i/c pipes to 24x12x4 i/c, ffim with 75mm tb, ported intake runners, ported head, ported exhaust manifold, ms2 with 4 bar map sensor, os giken tripple plate clutch, r154, etc... Weak links will be the stock mk2 axles/wheel hubs/diff stubs. Ill also swap my walbro 255lph pump to a 450lph pump. Should be interesting. Then again, hopefully soon I can get to work building the new control arms to mount my 8.8 ford diff and wont have any issues (crossing fingers).

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
I ended up ordering this adjustable waste gate actuator kit for the T61. Not sure I will even use the turbo now though as I have a BW S366 SXE to use with my built motor and bought a Sound Performance F1 twin scroll manifold to mount it on. Might throw this on for the "break in" of the built engine just to see what it will do before throwing the S366 on it though. I had planned to start with the 1 bar spring in it, but it has multiple springs all the way up to 22psi iirc.

Attachments

• HTB1.IWbcAfb_uJkSnfoq6z_epXaA.jpg
    HTB1.IWbcAfb_uJkSnfoq6z_epXaA.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 5