T61 Bolt on Turbo by Cx Racing

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
^I know you've done it before, don't remember how long ago, but you should just put a short list of what you had to do to this point to make this turbo reliable now. That way other people will know exactly what to do to get it to full potential before the install. I know you did the grub screw thing but beyond that, I don't recall short of browsing through 69 pages.

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
as i've said before.

1. stop waste gate shaft arm movement as detailed in earlier pages
2. preload actuator & install a good boost controller
3. seal compressor housing (not necessary but i did anyway)
4. make sure you have no boost leaks.

my current setup
p1688059_1.jpg

p1688059_2.jpg

scribtrack

Aug 23, 2010
Spokane WA
I wanted to put my 2 cents in about this bolt on turbo and cx racing themselves. My 91 supra was running perfectly, just wanted to do a turbo upgrade so i got this t61 bolt on and havent made over 4psi with an a/m smooth intake, 3inch exhaust, greddy boost controller. No leaks on either side of the turbo, and ive done some welding to the flapper to keep it from getting stuck open. No codes in the ecu and the only driveability issue is that after it boosts to 4psi and i pull up to the stoplight the car dies like spmeone shut the key off. I have sent many many emails to cx racing and they are unwilling to help at all since the turbo only had a 15 day warranty, if they even answer at all. Ive checked and double checked every aspect of this problem and and my only conclusion is that this engine doesnt have enough exhaust flow to spool the turbo properly. Any thoughts?

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
scribtrack;1692185 said:
Ive checked and double checked every aspect of this problem and and my only conclusion is that this engine doesnt have enough exhaust flow to spool the turbo properly. Any thoughts?

^Your conclusion is severely misguided. You messed up somewhere. You need to fix CX racing's mistakes, then your own.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
scribtrack;1692185 said:
I wanted to put my 2 cents in about this bolt on turbo and cx racing themselves. My 91 supra was running perfectly, just wanted to do a turbo upgrade so i got this t61 bolt on and havent made over 4psi with an a/m smooth intake, 3inch exhaust, greddy boost controller. No leaks on either side of the turbo, and ive done some welding to the flapper to keep it from getting stuck open. No codes in the ecu and the only driveability issue is that after it boosts to 4psi and i pull up to the stoplight the car dies like spmeone shut the key off. I have sent many many emails to cx racing and they are unwilling to help at all since the turbo only had a 15 day warranty, if they even answer at all. Ive checked and double checked every aspect of this problem and and my only conclusion is that this engine doesnt have enough exhaust flow to spool the turbo properly. Any thoughts?

Low boost and stalling is classic signs of a boost leak...

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Poodles;1692428 said:
Low boost and stalling is classic signs of a boost leak...

X2324654, If he would have read any of these posts in this thread, there would be no questions asked... Btw im Going to be back up and running with the comp housing sealed new charge pipes, and running map ecu by early may. Going to be shooting for 15-20 psi..:)

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
scribtrack;1692185 said:

This might be a stupid question but did you set the adjustable wastgate????

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

chrislockhart

Feb 23, 2011
nor-cal humboldt county
i made the huge mistake of buying this turbo and it seized up by grinding it self into the compressor housing after 800 miles... 500 miles of 4 psi break in, 285 miles of 12 psi, and 15 miles of seeing 16psi MAX on the night it died on a BRAND new engine of the same mileage. (i got it because i needed a turbo that could pass smog and look stock) ill put up pics if anyone wants. the funny thing is it looks like the wheel ground down more than the aluminum! haha what does that say about what the wheel is made of...

be careful every one...
if i didnt have to pass smog id be kicking my self in the ass for not just going with an holset hx35 if i wanna be cheap...

chrislockhart

Feb 23, 2011
nor-cal humboldt county
definitely not user error. how much boost is everyone here running with these turbos? from what iv read in this thread like 5-10psi... try running 24psi for a few pulls like they say its rated for and tell me how it goes.

chrislockhart

Feb 23, 2011
nor-cal humboldt county
well like i said. good luck and be careful... i must have been in the 25-50% of unlucky ones that got a piece of shit. you know not every one that gets this turbo reports back to this thread or any forum for that matter when theirs fails... (i would suggest running an in-line after-turbo air filter if your running these turbos lol)
p1702864_1.jpg
p1702864_2.jpg
p1702864_3.jpg

djdvp

Sep 2, 2009
novato, CA
I got this turbo hooked up on my car now and it only holds 5 pounds then leaks its crap but i have to run it until i can get a new turbo waste of money and even swapped the wastegate with an hks 1 bar wastegate and still only 5 pounds with the ct26 I was able to boost under fuel cut or really spark cut but since i replace ls400 air flow meter and 550 rc injectors I was hoping to get more but there crap and ps they are only oil cooled and making my oil 215 degrees there p.o.s.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Read the thread, the solution to your issues was already posted.

Plus the remark about only being oil cooled is a bit pointless as there are tons of turbos that are oil cooled only, it's not the turbo's fault.

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Well Got the engine/trans back in last night, comp housing is sealed, all pipes sealed. another week or two and I'll See what this turbo can really do. And really people, Read the whole thread before you post useless nonsense. Kthxbye